Author Topic: [GB] Fox Lab - Key 65  (Read 567844 times)

Offline merkz

Re: [GB] Fox Lab - Key 65
« Reply #1700 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 14:27:16 »
I can't get my board to be recognized by QMK, any tips?

Offline RaxXo

« Reply #1701 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 14:32:12 »
I can't get my board to be recognized by QMK, any tips?

Do you have a reset button on your keyboard? When assembled, the reset button will be constantly pressed in, which means it won't be recognized. I disassembled my keyboard, plugged in the pcb with switches, hit the reset button and now qmk toolbox could recognize it. I then flashed, made sure I had a software reset, desoldered the reset button, and assembled.

Offline jmsp0511

« Reply #1702 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 14:40:26 »
Ported my hotswap PCB to VIA, it was super simple.
When I first started VIA, all the factory default keys showed up, and changing the keymaps was really simple.

However, when I go to load the JSON file provided by Senter on the first page, it says "Could not load file: invalid data"
I wanted to load the JSON to see what the layout for the lighting buttons were.

Right now, the only thing I can do for the lighting is turn them on and off, and adjust brightness.
I also tried assigning the other keys under "QMK LIGHTING" and non of them really do anything.

Mine looks exactly like the picture Ipse posted on page 26, and dont know how to change the lighting... lol

If anyone knows how to assign perkey lighting, or knows how to toggle backlight modes, please let me know.
Did you try using the hex file from the via webpage? It was peer reviewed and should have this functionality working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, when I use that file in VIA or even try to load it on QMK Configuratos, it says the JSON is invalid.

Offline Arithmetics

« Reply #1703 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 22:24:17 »

here's mine :)

Offline Myk!

« Reply #1704 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 04:12:57 »
For those are still getting in trouble with firmware

1. You can not use the json files attached by Senter in QMK configurator. It is only usable here >> https://kbfirmware.com, download the hex file then flash at QMK tollbox

2. Easiest way is download the corresponding hex file in https://caniusevia.com/docs/download_firmware, flash in QMK toolbox. Then run VIA. The program will now detect your keyboard and start remapping.

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #1705 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 05:47:34 »
For those are still getting in trouble with firmware

1. You can not use the json files attached by Senter in QMK configurator. It is only usable here >> https://kbfirmware.com, download the hex file then flash at QMK tollbox

2. Easiest way is download the corresponding hex file in https://caniusevia.com/docs/download_firmware, flash in QMK toolbox. Then run VIA. The program will now detect your keyboard and start remapping.

Still waiting on a lot of parts to build mine but I already prepared my PCBs. Second step made this dumb easy.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #1706 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 14:42:06 »
Update on the firmware:

I've tested the VIA firmware. It works great.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #1707 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 15:02:06 »
Many people asked me if there will be a round 2 (no) and why not. I guess I need to give a public answer here.
Firstly, Key65 was not a limited GB. The IC was long enough that anyone care about the community would see it. The GB period was long enough that anyone wanted to join can join. It was a long journey to get the 600 kits manufactured and shipped in this special time. I'm deeply grateful for those who patiently waited and who had faith on me. I'm not interested in making their wait a little less meaningful by running a much quicker group buy for the same design.
Secondly, I'm not interested in running the group buys for the same design. I've mentioned it many times. I don't want to run a group buy if there's nothing new.

That being said, I do plan to run a group buy for Time 80% in the near future. The concept is the same but all the details have been improved. It will be a totally different Time. I'll IC it and collect feedbacks soon.

Offline toanta

« Reply #1708 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 19:07:45 »
Update on the firmware:

I what you said and when I launch VIA i get the "searching for devices" for a while. Did I do something wrong? QMK Toolbox seemed like it worked. I'm using the hot swap board.

Offline DZSlasher

« Reply #1709 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 19:39:06 »
Update on the firmware:

I what you said and when I launch VIA i get the "searching for devices" for a while. Did I do something wrong? QMK Toolbox seemed like it worked. I'm using the hot swap board.
Seems like you need to re-flash it since it would be automatically detected almost instantly by Via when you launch the app.

Offline toanta

« Reply #1710 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 20:28:01 »
Update on the firmware:

Seems like you need to re-flash it since it would be automatically detected almost instantly by Via when you launch the app.
I downloaded the "foxlab_key65_hotswap_default_b3810c59.hex" and tried to re-flash multiple times. I ended up getting to remap the keys using kbfirmware but I cant seem to get the back lighting to work.

EDIT: I figured it out through kbfirmware, thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2020, 21:01:34 by toanta »

Offline jeel7004

« Reply #1711 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 21:15:41 »
While I wait to get the universal PCB that I ordered, does anyone in the US have a hot-swap plate that I could buy?
Or have the plate files been released so that I could order my own?

Offline vsrnth

« Reply #1712 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 21:20:51 »
While I wait to get the universal PCB that I ordered, does anyone in the US have a hot-swap plate that I could buy?
Or have the plate files been released so that I could order my own?
Plate files have been released here :

https://fox-lab.github.io/gbs/Key-65.html

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline toanta

« Reply #1713 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 22:04:47 »
Anyone have an extra E-White 7u plate they want to sell?

Offline matrixzj

« Reply #1714 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 03:38:53 »
Update on the firmware:

I downloaded the "foxlab_key65_hotswap_default_b3810c59.hex" and tried to re-flash multiple times. I ended up getting to remap the keys using kbfirmware but I cant seem to get the back lighting to work.

EDIT: I figured it out through kbfirmware, thanks for the help!

please try foxlab_key65_hotswap_via.hex from https://caniusevia.com/docs/download_firmware
Discord:Matrix#6203

HHKB Fanatics

SA/GMK Keycaps Info

Offline superpringles

« Reply #1715 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 03:53:45 »
There's no RGB, only white lighting on the hotswap pcb right? Even though VIA has color choices they don't do anything yes?

Just double checking, seen talks of colors above in the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jdbaker82

« Reply #1716 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 09:04:27 »
Can someone chime in on the sound of a titanium plate vs brass or alu? I just bought one of these from a friend and his came with a titanium plate and I don't know what to think of it

Offline merkz

« Reply #1717 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 17:51:40 »
Can someone chime in on the sound of a titanium plate vs brass or alu? I just bought one of these from a friend and his came with a titanium plate and I don't know what to think of it

I have the titanium  plate but the other options to compare it to. I have mine with black inks/titanium plate

Offline johnny2304

« Reply #1718 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 22:53:51 »
mine  ;D

Offline Omnomnominous

« Reply #1719 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 06:11:14 »
Mine arrived a few days ago - first custom mech and honestly so pleased with it!

Offline Kingjunguhn

« Reply #1720 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 17:35:41 »
Many people asked me if there will be a round 2 (no) and why not. I guess I need to give a public answer here.
Firstly, Key65 was not a limited GB. The IC was long enough that anyone care about the community would see it. The GB period was long enough that anyone wanted to join can join. It was a long journey to get the 600 kits manufactured and shipped in this special time. I'm deeply grateful for those who patiently waited and who had faith on me. I'm not interested in making their wait a little less meaningful by running a much quicker group buy for the same design.
Secondly, I'm not interested in running the group buys for the same design. I've mentioned it many times. I don't want to run a group buy if there's nothing new.

That being said, I do plan to run a group buy for Time 80% in the near future. The concept is the same but all the details have been improved. It will be a totally different Time. I'll IC it and collect feedbacks soon.

Can we get the plate files instead?
url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107845.0][/url

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #1721 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 19:59:43 »
Can we get the plate files instead?

Check the bottom of this page https://fox-lab.github.io/gbs/Key-65.html

Offline johnny2304

« Reply #1722 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 22:45:11 »
Mine build with Vintage Black and SA VoC

Offline jdbaker82

« Reply #1723 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 19:38:08 »
Can anyone tell me what the default function key is on the standard layout? Soldered board

Offline jdbaker82

« Reply #1724 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 20:10:50 »
Does anyone know if that physical reset button exists and is constantly pushing down would it prevent the function key from actually registering a key press of the fn key?

Offline kurple

« Reply #1725 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 20:18:17 »
Can anyone tell me what the default function key is on the standard layout? Soldered board
HS was right above the right arrow.

In regards to your other question, about the reset button, you should desolder if possible. Heat the joints from the top and pull with tweezers.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Offline jdbaker82

« Reply #1726 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 20:34:05 »

In regards to your other question, about the reset button, you should desolder if possible. Heat the joints from the top and pull with tweezers.

Thank you but it's a soldered board does that mean there is no physical reset button that could be getting constantly pushed?

Offline kurple

« Reply #1727 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 20:37:26 »

Thank you but it's a soldered board does that mean there is no physical reset button that could be getting constantly pushed?
Yes, the solder pcb has one. You should desolder it and remove it bc it will get pressed through normal use and prevent your keyboard from functioning.

Offline Faust_

« Reply #1728 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 02:23:20 »
Is there a limit on the cable length for this keyboard? Asking because I'm using a 6 feet cable with 6 inches of coils, and I keep experiencing disconnects on it while playing Valorant. Haven't run into this with any of my other keyboards though.

Offline dommyy13

« Reply #1729 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 05:37:29 »
Is there a limit on the cable length for this keyboard? Asking because I'm using a 6 feet cable with 6 inches of coils, and I keep experiencing disconnects on it while playing Valorant. Haven't run into this with any of my other keyboards though.

Did you remove the reset switch on the back of the board?  It sits right under your WASD keys and if its still there you could be pressing it while using the keyboard if you push down too hard.  Which will cause the kb to stop responding until you unplug and plug it back in.

Offline jdbaker82

« Reply #1730 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 08:47:05 »
I have a problem my bottom right arrow key isn't working and I think I see why but I have no idea how or if this is fixable. The little black part of this thing in the picture is missing from the bottom right arrow.

Missing black thingy https://imgur.com/a/glQkHa7

Offline Myk!

« Reply #1731 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 08:58:05 »
I have a problem my bottom right arrow key isn't working and I think I see why but I have no idea how or if this is fixable. The little black part of this thing in the picture is missing from the bottom right arrow.

Diode was stripped off. Its not easy to fix. You need to replace it or use jumper wires to tap on the correct trace

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

Offline Faust_

« Reply #1732 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 11:06:42 »

Did you remove the reset switch on the back of the board?  It sits right under your WASD keys and if its still there you could be pressing it while using the keyboard if you push down too hard.  Which will cause the kb to stop responding until you unplug and plug it back in.

Is the button on the top of the PCB or the underside?

Offline Riskymilk

« Reply #1733 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 11:18:45 »

Is the button on the top of the PCB or the underside?

2:43:26

Offline fault_lin3

« Reply #1734 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 12:42:34 »
Can somebody chime in which direction their stab wire is for the enter key, specifically a hot swap pcb? Since PCB mount stabs only go one direction its forcing my wire to be south facing so the rubber damper doesn't fit. Yea not a big deal, I can mod the dampener just curious. I'm looking at a pic of the solder PCB and its north facing which matches the cutout of the dampener.

Offline jdbaker82

« Reply #1735 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 12:55:57 »

Diode was stripped off. Its not easy to fix. You need to replace it or use jumper wires to tap on the correct trace

I have no idea what I was doing by somehow I managed to fix this by desoldering the bad diode and stealing one from the switch where my key blocker is and was able to solder it to where the bad diode was and the arrow key is working again! This made my day I can't believe I was able to do this.

Offline jmsp0511

« Reply #1736 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 13:09:04 »
Can somebody chime in which direction their stab wire is for the enter key, specifically a hot swap pcb? Since PCB mount stabs only go one direction its forcing my wire to be south facing so the rubber damper doesn't fit. Yea not a big deal, I can mod the dampener just curious. I'm looking at a pic of the solder PCB and its north facing which matches the cutout of the dampener.

Like you said, the PCB mount stabs go one direction, the hook part is the larger hole, and the screw-in part is the smaller hole.
You have the orientation of the stab correct, you just have to trim the rubber a bit, I had to do this and it fixed the issue.
Just take a box cutter and trim it so that the portion hitting the wire.

Offline fault_lin3

« Reply #1737 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 14:37:13 »

Like you said, the PCB mount stabs go one direction, the hook part is the larger hole, and the screw-in part is the smaller hole.
You have the orientation of the stab correct, you just have to trim the rubber a bit, I had to do this and it fixed the issue.
Just take a box cutter and trim it so that the portion hitting the wire.

Cool, was just making sure I wasn't doing anything wrong. I'm using clip in stabs(c3 screw-in's incoming) so wasn't sure if orientation was different for screw ins but sounds the same so I'll just trim the rubber. Thanks

Offline fault_lin3

« Reply #1738 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 15:37:43 »
Finally built mine. Overall, super happy. This was my first group buy of this type so was a little skeptical, especially towards the end with covid but overall very solid board, so props to senter.

Some random thoughts..
 -The PC finish/polish is flawless. I have no other experience with PC boards but from what I've seen on other runs, it isn't easy to get a perfect finish. Even the inside is flawless, no machining marks, scratches, etc.
 -After seeing some early builds with the PC plate looking like swiss cheese I was worried but my plate is perfect. Alu plates looked good from the start but same idea, e-white finish is flawless.
 -Really wished I had gotten the key logo right blocker.  :'(
 -Gaskets were pretty straight forward, little skeptical of the longevity of the adhesive over time but there are a few extras in the pack.
 -Reset button was pre-trimmed but it still clicked when I was pressing the plate to test flex. NBD just de-soldered it and its been fine.
 -As mentioned above, the rubber damper isn't cut right for hotswap PCB stab direction but easily trimmable.
 -Just a personal issue/quirk, the typing angle+PC plate with no damper = LEDs straight into my eyeballs lol.
 -Reprograming was a super easy. Followed senters directions of flashing the hex from caniusavia with qmk tookbox and VIA worked perfectly (First time using VIA, but not QMK toolbox).

Some pics!

Offline anonthing00

« Reply #1739 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 16:44:35 »
Has anyone managed to get in contact with Senter about pcbs for people who want to build with split backspace? I send him my info but never heard back

Offline PantoneC

« Reply #1740 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 04:58:26 »
Has anyone managed to get in contact with Senter about pcbs for people who want to build with split backspace? I send him my info but never heard back

You can contact senter for a replacement solder pcb if yours is defective meaning solder pcb was in your original order by way of your original order email.
If you are looking to get a extra solder pcb your best bet is aftermarket.

Offline kungszehon

« Reply #1741 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 11:16:17 »
I PM'd senter about replacing my solder PCB due to the issue with split backspace just over 2 weeks ago, no response as of yet :(

Offline Riskymilk

« Reply #1742 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 16:29:29 »
Finally arrived and all built!

Offline olsen34

« Reply #1743 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 08:42:04 »
Anyone got key65 typing sound test but with marshmallow switches?

Offline toanta

« Reply #1744 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 16:19:10 »
Is the plate file available?

Offline dwarflemur

« Reply #1745 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 16:35:53 »
Is the plate file available?

Bruh it's literally right there linked halfway up the page
Camp C225 | Norbatouch | ALF X2 + X3 | Orange TKL | CA66 | Leaf 60 | a bunch of others

Offline kungszehon

« Reply #1746 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 00:27:29 »
Just an update, I got an email confirming my shipping address for a replacement solder PCB. Thanks senter for resolving the issue! :)

Offline Myk!

« Reply #1747 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 10:27:28 »
Just an update, I got an email confirming my shipping address for a replacement solder PCB. Thanks senter for resolving the issue! :)
Hoping to receive too!

Offline MK47

• Don't talk to me
« Reply #1748 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 13:41:10 »
Got a PP plate cut by a local laser cutting service. It feels and sounds great.

Offline ShadeDream

« Reply #1749 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 16:28:49 »
My wife's all teal (gray weight) with zilents, GMK Mitolet and some JTK Hyperfuse accents. She's waiting for Skeletor for it.