Author Topic: Octagon V2 75% Kustom Keyboard Group Buy (Closed for Orders)  (Read 429026 times)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: Octagon V2 75% Kustom Keyboard Group Buy
« Reply #400 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 15:43:05 »
Don't know whether to get a LZ-RV or this - I'd feel cruel not getting this due to how many people missed out though.

Offline E3E

« Reply #401 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 17:46:05 »
Don't know whether to get a LZ-RV or this - I'd feel cruel not getting this due to how many people missed out though.

Good reason. You should go for this then!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #402 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 09:15:03 »

And it'd be the only UK one, that'd make my ego get a bit bigger /s

Offline stillzman

« Reply #403 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 19:12:52 »
missed this again, i hate my life

Offline darkclone24

« Reply #404 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 13:48:30 »

And it'd be the only UK one, that'd make my ego get a bit bigger /s

:(
RS84 67g Zealio Purple | Choc Mini MX Black | WASD V2 MX Clear | Golbat 78g Zealio Purple | Duck Octagon V2 MX Clear

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #405 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 13:54:10 »
hmmm... So I currently have the Blue Grey on order... I am now wondering if I want to change that to black?

I have an orion in blue grey, wondering if I need some variation!?

What do you all think?

Offline E3E

« Reply #406 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 14:02:41 »
hmmm... So I currently have the Blue Grey on order... I am now wondering if I want to change that to black?

What do you all think?

Variety is the spice of life, as they say.

I was thinking of getting one of these in red like my v1 and Hammer, but I decided against it. It's boring having boards that all look the same. Go for something different!

And for that matter, when I was considering what cases to use on my two Duck Eagles PCBs, I was originally planning on buying two carbon fiber cases from HPS' project, but then the opportunity to buy a red Hammer case fell into my lap, and after consideration I went for it.

Before that, my mindset towards 60% was that they should always be super light and portable, but I stand corrected now. Heft is nice in any layout, and it doesn't even weigh enough to be unwieldy either.

In other words, two of the same is boring. I'm glad I changed it up!
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2016, 14:05:17 by E3E »

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #407 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 14:08:28 »

What do you all think?

I was thinking of getting one of these in red like my v1 and Hammer, but I decided against it. It's boring having boards that all look the same. Go for something different!

And for that matter, when I was considering what cases to use on my two Duck Eagles PCBs, I was originally planning on buying two carbon fiber cases from HPS' project, but then the opportunity to buy a red Hammer case fell into my lap, and after consideration I went for it.

Before that, my mindset towards 60% was that they should always be super light and portable, but I stand corrected now. Heft is nice in any layout, and it doesn't even weigh enough to be unwieldy either.

I had the same opinion for heavy 60% boards, but those heavy aluminum cases are so nice to use!

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #408 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 14:09:36 »

What do you all think?

I got the same color scheme as I did with my Orion v2 (blue grey top with silver bottom) I was thinking of going black this time to change it up but I think it's gonna look really cool having matching duck boards  :thumb:
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #409 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 14:11:20 »

What do you all think?

There's always a black keyboard. Stick with blue-gray.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #410 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 14:21:53 »

What do you all think?

There's always a black keyboard. Stick with blue-gray.

Yea this is exactly why I am hesitating, although I was thinking of using either the Miami Nights, or SKIDATA set on it, the black would look cool... aaarrrggg... if only I won the powerball, I'd buy both :)

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #411 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 14:24:28 »

What do you all think?

This is a very good point! I am slowly replacing all my non-custom boards with custom, and all my non-custom are black... so it's kind of got that stigma to it...

was even thinking of putting orange LED's on it... with vintage MX blacks... I have a Star Cluster BBv2 which will .... WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?!?

Offline E3E

« Reply #412 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 14:41:09 »

What do you all think?

This is a very good point! I am slowly replacing all my non-custom boards with custom, and all my non-custom are black... so it's kind of got that stigma to it...

was even thinking of putting orange LED's on it... with vintage MX blacks... I have a Star Cluster BBv2 which will .... WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?!?

Rainb1ood does have a great example of a stealth Octagon, and he also recently transferred the caps from that build to his Orion v2 that I helped put together for him.

Here's the Octagon. Some might find it boring, but I find it pretty sick.

Black has a certain subtlety to it. I like my black Lightpad a lot, but it is true, many OEM keyboards are black these days.

And since you have a black Orion, I think that's enough love for black! Go blue grey unless you really have an idea that would work best with black as opposed to any other color.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #413 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 14:56:59 »

What do you all think?

Rainb1ood does have a great example of a stealth Octagon, and he also recently transferred the caps from that build to his Orion v2 that I helped put together for him.

Show Image

Black has a certain subtlety to it. I like my black Lightpad a lot, but it is true, many OEM keyboards are black these days.

And since you have a black Orion, I think that's enough love for black! Go blue grey unless you really have an idea that would work best with black as opposed to any other color.

That does look quite sexy, I can imagine that with the orange LED's, and the SKIDATA set on...

My Orion is Blue Grey, My Lightsaver is Gun metal grey I think, but not the blue grey...

So this would be the first black custom...

hmmmm... thanks for the advice, and pic... really does help.

Offline E3E

« Reply #414 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 15:01:21 »

What do you all think?

Show Image

That does look quite sexy, I can imagine that with the orange LED's, and the SKIDATA set on...

My Orion is Blue Grey, My Lightsaver is Gun metal grey I think, but not the blue grey...

So this would be the first black custom...

hmmmm... thanks for the advice, and pic... really does help.

Wow, excuse my ridiculous derp. My mind got it all mixed up. Yes, definitely shoot for black, man! I thought your boards were all black, not grey.

I'd definitely go for something different. Make yourself a sexy dark beast!

Always happy to lend my thoughts!

Offline elton5354

« Reply #415 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 19:06:15 »
Hey guys,

Sorry for the absence..was hectic at work. Needed to travel and all.

Anyway back on topic..I haven't read the replies in this thread or in my inbox yet, but here is the most updated news I have. No more assumptions or guessing..

There will be 30 sets that are going out first and then another 30 sets will go out after. There MAY be a chance of another 30 or so depending on the time and how long this group buy will take. For now, I am only going to take 60 orders. I will put the rest on hold if you guys are still interested..

Second batch will be finished 1-2 months after the first batch and so on.

The reason for this was the schedule of other keyboards and that they weren't expecting that many orders at all; 30-40 was their max assumption of sets that would be ordered. When I said "unlimited" orders, I may have misunderstood their directions and quoted what they told me.

If you have any general questions, just reply here as I will be spending some time reading my PMs. If it's specific to your order, then PM me..

I apologize again and I hope you guys aren't upset about this.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2016, 19:08:10 by elton5354 »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #416 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 19:07:23 »
I apologize again and I hope you guys are upset about this.

told u guys
I love Elzy

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #417 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 19:08:51 »

told u guys

Lol, people believed you but it's just that they didn't want to. :p
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #418 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 19:13:54 »

told u guys

Lol, people believed you but it's just that they didn't want to. :p

It's not that, Sifo was trying to point out Elton's brutal savagery.
That man ain't joking around. This is what happens when Geekhack meets an unstoppable force.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #419 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 19:15:22 »
HE HOPES YOU GUYS ARE UPSET ABOUT THIS

ARE YOU ****ING SORRY?
I love Elzy

Offline popkorn62

• No keyboards for old men
    • Mekibo
« Reply #420 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 19:22:27 »
Lmao savage at that last line
==============
https://mekibo.com/

Offline E3E

« Reply #421 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 19:28:01 »
So upset. The tears flow. Elton is tyrannous leader. Tyrannosaurus Elton. :(

Offline elton5354

« Reply #422 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 20:01:02 »
It hurts as I read thru the PMs when most changes are orders from 60+. Don't let your hopes down as it MIGHT happen!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #423 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 20:02:14 »

Elton is just the middle man in this ordeal, if it wasn't for him then we'd be completely Duckless. ;)

Offline E3E

« Reply #424 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 20:32:37 »

Elton is just the middle man in this ordeal, if it wasn't for him then we'd be completely Duckless. ;)

I'm kidding. I don't mind. I'm happy with my v1.

I'm more so eyeing up the VE.A as it is anyway. Alps compatible and right up my alley. :)

Oh right, and I do have a spot thanks to the every-so-kind Xondat.

I may or may not get the v2, but I will hold onto that spot for now. Since I own the v1, it sounds a bit redundant to be honest. The VE.A is more of a unique experience in comparison for me and more suited to my tastes because of its Alps compatibility and it is essentially a 75% derived layout. :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2016, 20:35:26 by E3E »

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #425 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 20:33:34 »

I'm more so eyeing up the VE.A as it is anyway. Alps compatible and right up my alley. :)

Hell yeah! I'm definitely getting a VE.A as well, but not for alps. :p

Offline elton5354

« Reply #426 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 20:52:28 »

What is that? I can't find anything in the search function :S

Offline lootbag

« Reply #427 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 20:53:08 »
So... I guess I will order a bunch of Zealios anyways, in anticipation that my order #69 could be fulfilled.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #428 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 20:54:07 »

What is that? I can't find anything in the search function :S

Sending you a PM so I don't derail this thread. :thumb:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #429 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 02:41:34 »
Don't want my spot anymore, so I'll have to pull out. I was thinking of giving it to someone, but I'd much rather just to be deleted so that everyone is bumped up (down number wise?) a space. Thanks Elton.

I ****ED UP
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 January 2016, 04:43:57 by xondat »

Offline gnarlsagan

• Billions and billions... of keycaps.
« Reply #430 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 09:43:25 »
I was originally order number 30, and now I'm 31. Did we confirm the reason for this? If it was because someone added an extra board to their order, can that person move their second board to the end of the line? Fair is fair.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #431 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 09:53:04 »
I was originally order number 30, and now I'm 31. Did we confirm the reason for this? If it was because someone added an extra board to their order, can that person move their second board to the end of the line? Fair is fair.

I was 31 and now I am 32, I think everyone up to 31 is in the first batch as elton doesn't count himself as part of first 30,  I may be wrong... But if I am right,  the I just shifted from the first to second batch :(

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #432 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 09:54:53 »
I understand the "fairness" comment, however it adds more complications and complexity if a person's order is split into two.

From a logistics/workflow perspective, it makes sense that Duck would want to complete both boards at the same time for a person and send them off together to avoid any extra issues that could arise (lost/damaged packages, making a mistake, etc).
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline blighty

« Reply #433 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 10:00:04 »

LOL.  It would not be fair for rooster to pay for shipping twice, would it? 
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #434 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 10:07:09 »

Arguably if I modified my order to two boards,  would I knock number 60 off the list?  That wouldn't be right?  Additional boards should be treated as adding orders regardless of who they're going to. If I wanted to modify my order and add another board,  then that order should be at the back of the list?

Offline blighty

« Reply #435 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 10:14:54 »

Arguably if I modified my order to two boards,  would I knock number 60 off the list?  That wouldn't be right?  Additional boards should be treated as adding orders regardless of who they're going to. If I wanted to modify my order and add another board,  then that order should be at the back of the list?

If orders were still open, I would say add one if you want it.  Not like there was a rule against it or anything. 
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline Dansor

« Reply #436 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 10:27:48 »
Man, really starting to regret not getting in on this one!
I was thinking the TX1800, when it arrives, would be my temporary ultimate board, but the more I look at those light-diffusing inserts... wow....

Congrats to everyone in on this one.  I will forever begrudge you this board  :thumb:

Offline gnarlsagan

« Reply #437 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 10:49:54 »

I would agree under the circumstances of a normal sale where there is no order limit. This is not such a sale. Orders were limited, and each order was logged in the order in which it was received. So if I added an additional board now, I would most definitely expect to have it added at the end of the list, and not with my current order to the detriment of everyone behind me.
It's not a huge deal, but I would be a lot more frustrated if I was number 60 bumped to 61 because one board was not enough for someone.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #438 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 12:49:42 »

I would agree under the circumstances of a normal sale where there is no order limit. This is not such a sale. Orders were limited, and each order was logged in the order in which it was received. So if I added an additional board now, I would most definitely expect to have it added at the end of the list, and not with my current order to the detriment of everyone behind me.
It's not a huge deal, but I would be a lot more frustrated if I was number 60 bumped to 61 because one board was not enough for someone.

ok, so i'm busted. come clean time...

my original order was basically two full keyboards (minus a second top plate). I later added a second top-plate, and Elton created a second order - two complete keyboards. I pm'd him when people started freaking out about orders getting bumped and told him that the second top plate could be moved to later order - that would be fair to everyone. Then, more orders were opened up. Then, those people were told that maybe their orders won't go through. I am still willing to let my second top plate get put at the end of the line, as long as it is still in line.

At this point, though, where's the end? I definitely put in my second plate order before the first 60, so that means someone is getting bumped...

sorry i didn't mean to create all this hassle. i didnt think elton would bump everyone back in order to meet my request.
<edited for clarity>
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 January 2016, 15:58:26 by roostrc0gburn »

Offline gnarlsagan

« Reply #439 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 19:44:19 »

ok, so i'm busted. come clean time...

my original order was basically two full keyboards (minus a second top plate). I later added a second top-plate, and Elton created a second order - two complete keyboards. I pm'd him when people started freaking out about orders getting bumped and told him that the second top plate could be moved to later order - that would be fair to everyone. Then, more orders were opened up. Then, those people were told that maybe their orders won't go through. I am still willing to let my second top plate get put at the end of the line, as long as it is still in line.

At this point, though, where's the end? I definitely put in my second plate order before the first 60, so that means someone is getting bumped...

sorry i didn't mean to create all this hassle. i didnt think elton would bump everyone back in order to meet my request.
<edited for clarity>

Cool, thanks for the clarification. Doesn't sound like your fault at all. I'm honestly not too bummed about missing the first shipment, since I'm waiting for Round 6 caps that will go on this board. I have a feeling I'll have plenty of time (2017? lol).

I have an unrelated open question: does anyone know if other 75% plates are compatible with the Octagon? I don't forsee it being an issue, but I'm thinking of grabbing a Red Scarf plate or something if I can manage it, so that it supports opening the switches without desoldering.

Offline E3E

« Reply #440 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:32:43 »
I have an unrelated open question: does anyone know if other 75% plates are compatible with the Octagon? I don't forsee it being an issue, but I'm thinking of grabbing a Red Scarf plate or something if I can manage it, so that it supports opening the switches without desoldering.

Because the Octagon v2 is going to use a top-mounted plate design, IE, screwed into the top bezel and now down to the base, you'd have to find one that mounts in a similar way with all the same or at least enough of the same mounting positions and make sure that it is aligned correctly with the top bezel.

These plates are more complicated than in tray style cases like for most 60% and the Octagon v1.

Quick check to glimpse the plate style of the RS84 and, no, it will not work for the v2. It would for the v1, however,

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #441 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 00:46:14 »
My Orion is up for sale in my classifieds thread. :thumb:

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #442 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 10:23:20 »

Oops thought this was the Orion thread last night lol

Offline E3E

« Reply #443 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 11:35:02 »

Oops thought this was the Orion thread last night lol

Lol, it's okay man, so did I.

:))

Offline Ail

• RIP in Pape
« Reply #444 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 15:03:52 »
FFFFFFFFfffffff, this is an awesome looking board. I NEED IT!

I'm guessing due to popularity they will run this again? Why is the buy limit so low, small production facility?

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #445 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 15:12:09 »

I'm guessing due to popularity they will run this again? Why is the buy limit so low, small production facility?

Yea dude,  I missed the V1, they'll come round again for v3. This order number is more than the last....

Also keep an eye here,  it's likely that someone might sell theirs,  etc...  That's how I got my Orion.

Offline E3E

« Reply #446 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 15:21:28 »

Yea dude,  I missed the V1, they'll come round again for v3. This order number is more than the last....

Also keep an eye here,  it's likely that someone might sell theirs,  etc...  That's how I got my Orion.

v1 Master Race >:C

Lol, nah this one is sick. It's gonna be hard deciding this or the VE.A; I wish I had deeper pockets. I feel like I want my v1 to have a younger brother, but the VE.A is like a 75% w/ Alps compatibility, a split ergo board, and 10 extra keys to the left like an F AT layout.

Bwaah!

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #447 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 15:39:44 »

Lol, nah this one is sick. It's gonna be hard deciding this or the VE.A; I wish I had deeper pockets. I feel like I want my v1 to have a younger brother, but the VE.A is like a 75% w/ Alps compatibility, a split ergo board, and 10 extra keys to the left like an F AT layout.

Bwaah!

Link?

Offline E3E

« Reply #448 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 18:16:07 »

Bwaah!

Link?

PM'd as to not derail the thread. GB won't be until mid-February.

Offline Butter

« Reply #449 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 20:15:51 »

Bwaah!

Link?

PM'd as to not derail the thread. GB won't be until mid-February.

I'll like a PM as well, Can;t find anything about VE.A