Author Topic: Octagon V2 75% Kustom Keyboard Group Buy (Closed for Orders)  (Read 429004 times)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
Re: Octagon V2 75% Kustom Keyboard Group Buy
« Reply #950 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 22:06:22 »
having some trouble with the keymapper. can someone direct me to a thread on this? i guess i assume there has been previous discussion

Note - I don't personally own an Octagon v2

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70864.msg2156462#msg2156462

This is how I map my keys since the lightsaver v1.  I don't imagine the octagon v2 being any different but you can give this a try.  It's a bit of redirecting but hopefully it helps as long as the octagon also uses the atmega32U4 chip. 

thank you! that actually did fix it - i had to rename the .hex.

Offline ika

« Reply #951 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 22:14:14 »
The driver I had installed for the Orion v2 worked for the Octagon so I imagine they are very similar in terms of hardware. Instructions should be basically the same except for keymap and the flip key (top right on the Octagon).

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #952 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 22:18:10 »
The driver I had installed for the Orion v2 worked for the Octagon so I imagine they are very similar in terms of hardware. Instructions should be basically the same except for keymap and the flip key (top right on the Octagon).

yep, the gui is pretty intuitive. the overall process is a little quirky, but the guide blighty uploaded covers the bases. anyone else having that issue with the arrow keys? i would rather not have to use a separate layer as a workaround

blighty's post, for those who missed it:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78549.msg2149910#msg2149910

Offline ika

« Reply #953 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 22:23:28 »

yep, the gui is pretty intuitive. the overall process is a little quirky, but the guide blighty uploaded covers the bases. anyone else having that issue with the arrow keys? i would rather not have to use a separate layer as a workaround

Is there an issue with your arrow keys? Mine work fine on the default layer.

Offline Butter

« Reply #954 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 22:39:04 »

I read some where that you need to change your system language to Korean. It work for me.

Offline SaySo

« Reply #955 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 06:43:01 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 12:52:57 by SaySo »

Offline elton5354

« Reply #956 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 07:21:44 »

No 4th round. This will be the last round for this board.

If there is even the slightest possibility of increasing the lot size by even 10 more, that would be amazing. This is one cool board that I sure wouldn't want to miss out on.  You're organization on these buys is incredible. I know its alot harder than you make it look. Makes it that much harder for me knowing you have such a good grip on how to make this all work.  :)

Thanks for your kind words.  It was quite flattering and I even blushed a bit.  There are quite a bit of work behind the scene, but it is still manageable. :)

Unfortunately, 90 will be the max order for this buy as Duck and TC wants to move on to Blackbird next. Duck really loves the Blackbird :P

Received mine, everything seems there, super well packed :
Show Image

Thank you Elton and Duck  :thumb:

It took a while for you to receive yours. Yeah the packaging is amazing and it leaves me with tons of garbage afterwards.. :))

Offline SaySo

« Reply #957 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 07:30:27 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 12:53:25 by SaySo »

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #958 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 13:01:12 »
Received mine last week. Noticed yesterday when test fitting my stabs that my PCB has a couple of minor "imperfections". I tested closing the circuit on all switch mounting points and all seem to work, including LED holes. Does anyone else have this on the PCB, or is it just mine?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #959 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 13:52:10 »
Received mine last week. Noticed yesterday when test fitting my stabs that my PCB has a couple of minor "imperfections". I tested closing the circuit on all switch mounting points and all seem to work, including LED holes. Does anyone else have this on the PCB, or is it just mine?

not sure what you are referring to? maybe there is a bit of a "burn mark" around D18? could just be flux from soldering...
otherwise i dont see anything abnormal. a couple of those pads look like they're lifted, but i think it is just a black reflection of your camera or phone?

Offline HannahPeach

« Reply #960 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 13:54:33 »
I thought I might share some pictures here in the thread as well
for all of you guys who went with the red bottom part. This keyboard looks like a sports car to me!
Thanks for the textbook example of a smoothly running GB, elton!

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #961 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 14:10:45 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:19:25 by alienman82 »

Offline omgar

« Reply #962 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 14:16:30 »
for all of you guys who went with the red bottom part. This keyboard looks like a sports car to me!

Are those Nixdorf blacks? It looks great! Which keyset are you planning to use with it?

Offline HannahPeach

« Reply #963 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 14:28:30 »
`
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 May 2016, 08:33:40 by HannahPeach »

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #964 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 14:42:02 »
Is the plate bronze anodized?  It kind of looks that way. 

Nice board btw I never thought of mixing different tops and bottoms

Offline HannahPeach

« Reply #965 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 14:49:25 »
Is the plate bronze anodized?  It kind of looks that way. 

Nice board btw I never thought of mixing different tops and bottoms

It isn't, there's wood above the keyboard in this photo which makes it look that way.
It's just the usual stainless steel plate. I was pretty anxious about mixing two colors myself,
though I am super super happy with how it turned out.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #966 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 15:05:50 »

not sure what you are referring to? maybe there is a bit of a "burn mark" around D18? could just be flux from soldering...
otherwise i dont see anything abnormal. a couple of those pads look like they're lifted, but i think it is just a black reflection of your camera or phone?
Yes, some residue at D18. Look at D48. Dunno how to describe it, but it looks like it is from drilling the holes for the switch.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #967 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 15:10:19 »

They're like that to support different kind of layouts.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #968 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 15:16:15 »

Hehe, it sure does. :) There is a small metal sliver from the drilled holes at D48. Spotted two more locations on the PCB where there are slivers. I've tested the board and everything seems fine. Just wanted to check if someone else also had this. Just making sure mine was properly aligned when the holes were drilled in the factory.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #969 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 15:26:59 »

Hehe, it sure does. :) There is a small metal sliver from the drilled holes at D48. Spotted two more locations on the PCB where there are slivers. I've tested the board and everything seems fine. Just wanted to check if someone else also had this. Just making sure mine was properly aligned when the holes were drilled in the factory.

Oh, I see it now. Let me take at my PCB tonight.

Offline omgar

« Reply #970 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 15:58:02 »

Are those Nixdorf blacks? It looks great! Which keyset are you planning to use with it?

Yes indeed they are, I just took another picture for you to have a better look at the switches.
I am not quite sure to be honest with you, usually I'm a sucker for DSA but I don't think it looks as nice with anything
above 65% so I'm probably going to go with something like.. BSP Cyrillic.. or BSP Hebrew. [:

Thank you! Glad to see switches like this being put to good use. I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more pictures from other builds. I'm first up on the second batch and I'm itching to get it.

Offline ultraman982

« Reply #971 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 23:05:13 »
I am now number 92 (from 98)! I'm going to be even more depressed if I don't get it now lol  :-X

Offline Jedi

« Reply #972 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 23:09:42 »
So lucky, congrats to everyone who made the list.  There's some hope I hope, but we'll see.  I'll gladly take one of those unpaid spots.

Offline ika

« Reply #973 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 23:12:25 »

the metal slivers are just the pin plating lifting away from the areas where there are modular holes for compatibility. Not really a problem, I've seen it on a lot of PCBs from Korea.

Offline pmh1410

« Reply #974 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 23:57:14 »

Yes indeed they are, I just took another picture for you to have a better look at the switches.
I am not quite sure to be honest with you, usually I'm a sucker for DSA but I don't think it looks as nice with anything
above 65% so I'm probably going to go with something like.. BSP Cyrillic.. or BSP Hebrew. [:

Show Image

Oh Sh*T, Nixdorf Vintage Black. Nice build ;)
Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Club

Keyboards Collection: Powered by OTD
TKL: 360C Hyper Silver, Cheat B/R/B
Mini: 356mini Red, Duck Poker + 38GT.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #975 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 00:55:07 »

the metal slivers are just the pin plating lifting away from the areas where there are modular holes for compatibility. Not really a problem, I've seen it on a lot of PCBs from Korea.
Cheers! Then I'm not worried anymore.

Now I need to find time to lube the rest of my Zealios and make the difficult decision of going ANSI or stick with ISO.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #976 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 00:58:35 »
Go ANSI, join the master race  :thumb:

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #977 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 01:09:06 »
Hehe. Leaning towards that, but easier said than done. Especially for us Swedes with all the extra diacritical letters. Plus I'm not good at touch typing. I find myself having to look at the board from time to time. Especially for Alt Gr + key combinations. I'll probably put in a mix of keys with printed legends for ISO Nordic layout. It will be a bit wee difficult since I really want to put my Retro SA to use

Offline onmybikedrunk

• Danny Woods - Industrial Designer
« Reply #978 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 03:13:55 »
#77 PAID! So excited!  Thanks Duck and Elton!

Offline beltet

« Reply #979 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 01:04:01 »
Hehe. Leaning towards that, but easier said than done. Especially for us Swedes with all the extra diacritical letters. Plus I'm not good at touch typing. I find myself having to look at the board from time to time. Especially for Alt Gr + key combinations. I'll probably put in a mix of keys with printed legends for ISO Nordic layout. It will be a bit wee difficult since I really want to put my Retro SA to use

ANSI-HHKB-SE FOR THE WIN!:

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #980 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 01:12:17 »

ANSI-HHKB-SE FOR THE WIN!:
Show Image

O_O weird seeing ANSI layout, but with a small ISO left shift. SWANSI?

Offline zoomwalt

« Reply #981 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 00:51:45 »
I'll talk to my people too and figure out rates from there. I'll try and source something locally too (US). We'll carry on the rest of the discussion through PM so as to not hijack this thread.

I'm in!!

I'll start invoicing over the weekend.

Is it possible to pay on monday? I need to transfer money between accounts.

I'll give everyone a week to pay otherwise I'll give the spot to the next person in line.

Great, Thanks! Will pay tomorrow.
Do you have any estimate on when batch 3 will be shipping. Just wondering if I need to change adress because of my summer vacation.

Man I'm such a newb I keep missing out on this!! Any chance for a 4th round?

The 3rd batch will ship out a few weeks after 2nd batch is shipped.

Any chance I will make it in? My name is on the list but I'm 98 on the list right now.

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #982 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 17:28:30 »
I'll talk to my people too and figure out rates from there. I'll try and source something locally too (US). We'll carry on the rest of the discussion through PM so as to not hijack this thread.

I'm in!!

I'll start invoicing over the weekend.

Is it possible to pay on monday? I need to transfer money between accounts.

I'll give everyone a week to pay otherwise I'll give the spot to the next person in line.

Great, Thanks! Will pay tomorrow.
Do you have any estimate on when batch 3 will be shipping. Just wondering if I need to change adress because of my summer vacation.

Man I'm such a newb I keep missing out on this!! Any chance for a 4th round?

The 3rd batch will ship out a few weeks after 2nd batch is shipped.

Any chance I will make it in? My name is on the list but I'm 98 on the list right now.

Considering that there are 6 outstanding invoices from what I can see and you're 7th from it I'd say 0% chance

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #983 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 18:56:38 »
If by some miracle any unpaid spots open up........ I'm in!!  :thumb: :D

« Last Edit: Thu, 05 May 2016, 18:59:10 by dubious »

Offline gaiden

« Reply #984 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 21:10:46 »
PAID! Thanks Elton and Duck!

Offline beckshl

« Reply #985 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 09:44:09 »
Hi Elton,

Pls check pm'd

Offline elton5354

« Reply #986 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 23:04:08 »
Update on the payments: I'm going to cancel all unpaid orders by 9AM this Sunday May 8 and I will invoice the next in line. I'll give 24 hours to receive the payments. Given how much time was already given, it shouldn't take that long right? :)

I'm trying to rush this because they are waiting on the payments to move ahead with production.

Offline Gengarfan

« Reply #987 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 00:25:04 »
Update on the payments: I'm going to cancel all unpaid orders by 9AM this Sunday May 8 and I will invoice the next in line. I'll give 24 hours to receive the payments. Given how much time was already given, it shouldn't take that long right? :)

I'm trying to rush this because they are waiting on the payments to move ahead with production.

Awesome! Do you have an estimate for how long it will be to get the round 3 boards? (You are doing awesome btw)

Offline E3E

« Reply #988 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 00:32:46 »
Just a small reminder for those that prefer handing off assembly services! I'm always available for handling such things.

I do switch tuning, stab clipping, sanding, and lubing, band-aid mods, and soldering and desoldering--pretty much all standard services. I can also do hotswap (hotswappable switches and/or LEDs) PCB modding if anyone's into that.

I definitely wouldn't mind putting together some of these for anyone who wants or needs someone else to handle it for them.

:thumb:

My first Korean custom was the Octagon v1, so it'd be cool to work on a v2 or two. :P
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 May 2016, 00:35:11 by E3E »

Offline boo

« Reply #989 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 01:38:30 »
Just a small reminder for those that prefer handing off assembly services! I'm always available for handling such things.

I do switch tuning, stab clipping, sanding, and lubing, band-aid mods, and soldering and desoldering--pretty much all standard services. I can also do hotswap (hotswappable switches and/or LEDs) PCB modding if anyone's into that.

I definitely wouldn't mind putting together some of these for anyone who wants or needs someone else to handle it for them.

:thumb:

My first Korean custom was the Octagon v1, so it'd be cool to work on a v2 or two. :P

I might take you up on that. Can we discuss when R3 is getting closer? XD

Offline E3E

« Reply #990 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 01:40:54 »

I might take you up on that. Can we discuss when R3 is getting closer? XD

Hahaha, fine by me! Just send me a PM whenever the occasion calls. :P

Offline cmd

« Reply #991 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 07:48:36 »

Have them get another production run for the Orion  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Offline Jedi

« Reply #992 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 10:38:52 »
Considering that there are 6 outstanding invoices from what I can see and you're 7th from it I'd say 0% chance

Considering he's in and PAID, I guess that 0% chance went out the window... :p

Offline ultraman982

« Reply #993 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 10:52:30 »

Invoice paid! Body is ready

Offline zoomwalt

« Reply #994 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 10:59:55 »
Paid! I'm excited :)

Offline billhicks

« Reply #995 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 12:38:56 »
Paid!

Offline biocalves

« Reply #996 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 13:18:56 »

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #997 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 17:49:52 »

Considering he's in and PAID, I guess that 0% chance went out the window... :p

Guess people pulled out? Or I couldn't count, either is likely. :P

Offline elton5354

« Reply #998 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 18:46:31 »
I just cancelled the 6 unpaid orders, that's all :)

Oh BTW. No CHANGES anymore please.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 May 2016, 18:55:08 by elton5354 »

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #999 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 19:11:37 »
RIP anyone else's hopes of getting octagon  :-*