Author Topic: [Help] Topre PBT spacebar Taobao vs Massdrop  (Read 2386 times)

Offline moh18one

[Help] Topre PBT spacebar Taobao vs Massdrop
« on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 19:17:57 »
Hi,

Can someone who have those two spacebars tell me which one is better ? Why ?

Thanks  ;)

Offline hking0036

Re: [Help] Topre PBT spacebar Taobao vs Massdrop
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 19:22:55 »
Hi,

Thanks  ;)
I only have Matt3o's massdrop spacebars but I can tell you this: When you buy one on taobao you can't be sure of the quality. It could be fine but just less thick, but a serious issue with PBT space bars is warping because they're so big. If you're fine with taking risk on getting a spacebar that might be deformed than go for it, but it's probably not going to be quite as close to the Topre quality as you'd get from the massdrop ones (although I think one of the most recent batches did actually have some bad apples in it). Even after that, it may still be thinner than you'd like which can affect the weighting and the sound of the switch.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline moh18one

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 19:39:13 »
Hi,

Thanks  ;)
I only have Matt3o's massdrop spacebars but I can tell you this: When you buy one on taobao you can't be sure of the quality. It could be fine but just less thick, but a serious issue with PBT space bars is warping because they're so big. If you're fine with taking risk on getting a spacebar that might be deformed than go for it, but it's probably not going to be quite as close to the Topre quality as you'd get from the massdrop ones (although I think one of the most recent batches did actually have some bad apples in it). Even after that, it may still be thinner than you'd like which can affect the weighting and the sound of the switch.

Oops my bad ! I won't buy the spacebar on Taobao :D

To be clear, I've the choice between here http://candykeys.com/custom-keycaps (but they said it's the same as the Taobao one) or on Massdrop. However, thanks for the reply I think the Massdrop one is thicker as you say.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 January 2017, 19:41:30 by moh18one »

Offline 1391406

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 20:55:53 »
The PBT space bars being sold on Aliexpress have a 4.6 star rating with 93 orders placed.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Polymer

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 02:29:30 »
I only have Matt3o's massdrop spacebars but I can tell you this: When you buy one on taobao you can't be sure of the quality. It could be fine but just less thick, but a serious issue with PBT space bars is warping because they're so big. If you're fine with taking risk on getting a spacebar that might be deformed than go for it, but it's probably not going to be quite as close to the Topre quality as you'd get from the massdrop ones (although I think one of the most recent batches did actually have some bad apples in it).

What makes you think the original Matt3o ones weren't warped?  They definitely were...I actually attribute that to part of the reason why they help with stabilizer rattle on Topre keyboards..