Author Topic: CompuAdd RT-101+ Keyboard  (Read 4267 times)

Offline jjones2

CompuAdd RT-101+ Keyboard
« on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 17:51:33 »
Hey guys,

I wanted to share this with some of y'all as I think someone might enjoy it. I am trying to find out if it is mechanical or not and I am not really find an absolute answer so maybe one of yall will know.

Anyhow this is fair game i am not going to pick it up so first come first serve, but I found an CompuAdd RT-101+ Keyboard on the goodwill auction site with a buy now price of 49.99. They are starting to get a little greedy with their prices but someone may be interested in picking it up so i thought i would share.

If you do decide to try and get it please be aware that shipping can be OUTRAGEOUS... I have seen things on there that you would think ships for 5 bucks ending up shipping for 15 or more... you have been warned...

Anyhow here is the link.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/CompuAdd-RT-101-Keyboard-36101063.html

It has 4 days left on the auction but if no one buys it they will probably run it again, at the same price sadly...

They really are getting greedy...

Anyhow hope yall enjoy.

jjones2

Oh someone might be interested in this also... It has 3 days left on the auction...

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Logitech-diNovo-Edge-Keyboard-In-Box-36140920.html
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 January 2017, 17:53:16 by jjones2 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: CompuAdd RT-101+ Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 19:17:22 »
That is sliders over dome. RT-101+does not necessarily mean NMB Hi-Teks.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 12:48:59 »
Curious. I don't think I've seen a Model M-shaped NMB keyboard before. Hopefully one day someone will stumble across one for the purposes of documentation.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 12:52:32 »
Curious. I don't think I've seen a Model M-shaped NMB keyboard before. Hopefully one day someone will stumble across one for the purposes of documentation.
Really? The whole third generation is Model M-shaped Oo .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 12:57:59 »
Show me another one that shape.
Bore Awards

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 13:02:20 »
Show me another one that shape.
One shaped like an M? Sure, here's mine:

You can see the side at 49 s in.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 13:15:38 »
What's the Netherlands like for affordable eyecare?
Bore Awards

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 15:21:46 »
What's the Netherlands like for affordable eyecare?
You wouldn't say that's "Model M-shaped"? Anyway I live in your country, remember?

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 15:45:40 »
The Model M keyboard is distinctive because of its curved backplate, and the case around the keys continues this curvature. This is something that was not widely copied, because it's much easier to make PCBs flat and angle the keycaps. The most curious one I've ever seen is Tai-Hao TH-5539-2 that curves in both directions — I really want to see what's inside of one of those, but it's never been seen outside of Tai-Hao's mini-museum in their offices. (I am not sure I'd be able to persuade Felly to dismantle it for me!)

Membrane keyboards are far more likely to have a curved backplane (since it's dead easy with those), but there are IBM Japan keyboards with Alps plate springs with curved PCBs, for example, and the Model F PCB is curved as I recall.

Amusingly, NMB AQ6-COMPA bears a very close resemblance to the Model M from the top, but from the side, it's all straight lines:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/flange-/371633978653?orig_cvip=true

Way to fail! Yours I assume is Model M shaped from the site (this is very common in old keyboards) but from the top it's nothing remotely like a Model M, and it even has Model F-style keycaps.

Another one that's Model M–like is that family from Key Tronic but those are narrower at the sides, and that's an additional giveaway on top of the wrong enter key shape.
Bore Awards

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 16:22:48 »
The Model M keyboard is distinctive because of its curved backplate, and the case around the keys continues this curvature. This is something that was not widely copied, because it's much easier to make PCBs flat and angle the keycaps. The most curious one I've ever seen is Tai-Hao TH-5539-2 that curves in both directions — I really want to see what's inside of one of those, but it's never been seen outside of Tai-Hao's mini-museum in their offices. (I am not sure I'd be able to persuade Felly to dismantle it for me!)

Membrane keyboards are far more likely to have a curved backplane (since it's dead easy with those), but there are IBM Japan keyboards with Alps plate springs with curved PCBs, for example, and the Model F PCB is curved as I recall.

Amusingly, NMB AQ6-COMPA bears a very close resemblance to the Model M from the top, but from the side, it's all straight lines:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/flange-/371633978653?orig_cvip=true

Way to fail! Yours I assume is Model M shaped from the site (this is very common in old keyboards) but from the top it's nothing remotely like a Model M, and it even has Model F-style keycaps.

Another one that's Model M–like is that family from Key Tronic but those are narrower at the sides, and that's an additional giveaway on top of the wrong enter key shape.
You never mentioned backplate this or Tai-Hao that, you just said "Model M-shaped", which I maintain it is - it's got the same wedge shape, a ridge above the F keys, and it's almost exactly the same size. Now, wouldn't it have been more useful for the both of us if you'd told about this BEFORE throwing insults around?

"Do you like Santa Claus? No, not as a person, you halfwit, of course I didn't mean that, why aren't you more intelligent, like me? No, I meant the colour of his shoe laces, how could you not deduce that from my faultless, detailed description? Now I will insult you as I'm clearly entitled to. You suck large, hairy donkey balls through a straw."

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 16:41:30 »

large, hairy donkey balls

Honestly, I did not see the NMB as "M-shaped" although the curvature at the sides of the key well might be a bit unusual.

Otherwise, though, the Model M is pretty distinctive and these others are distinctly different.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 16:56:29 »
The profile of the keyboard has little to do with it, because it's simply not visible in the photos on the auction site, although you could argue that I dug up extra photos and simply neglected to present the relevant evidence (which isn't the case: I was going solely by the photos from the page linked, and didn't investigate the profile until later).

The Model M is a very distinctive design due to its curved backplate and how this curvature is reflected on the area of the case that surrounds the keys, and very few keyboards could be mistaken for one. Even the ridge you mention is a direct consequence of this, instead of the imitation found in other brands. AQ6-COMPA is one of the very few keyboards that at first glance could be easily mistaken for a custom branded Model M (until you notice the keycaps are wrong). Mitsumi KPQ-E99YC is another. The Key Tronic keyboards will still trick you for a moment, but the narrow sides are a dead giveaway.

NMB RT-101/RT-8nnn and Cherry G80-1000 are both entirely flat on top and there's no way that you could mistake one for a Model M even for a tiny fraction of a second. They're inspired by the M, but no attempt was made to copy the characteristic aesthetics. My Monterey K102 has that wedge profile too, but it again it's entirely flat on top.

Even if you ignore all of this, it's still not a normal NMB keyboard shape. I think it's safe to assume that I've seen a few NMB keyboards, so your interpretation of my statement as indicating that I haven't the faintest idea what any later NMB keyboards look like is an illogical assumption. On the basis that I'm singling it out as a unusual design, then it stands to reason that it must look more like a Model M than any normal NMB keyboard does, which is the case.
Bore Awards