Author Topic: Ducky Shine 5 store display model doesn't register key presses. (SOLVED!)  (Read 856 times)

Offline Demo master

Hello dudes.

I just got a Ducky Shine 5 keyboard, which I was told has been used as a store display model. The seller didn't know anything else about it.

Here's the problem:

It doesn't register key presses at all. It lights up and color cycles, and it is recognized in Windows as a keyboard, and I can use Ducky's firmware flashing utility and flash it just fine, but again, pressing keys isn't possible.

I looked in the manual and it says there's a demo mode. But this color cycling looks different from the normal demo mode, and it cannot be disabled with CTRL, SHIFT, CAPS LOCK like the manual claims. I've tried cycling demo mode on another Shine 5 just to confirm I'm doing it correctly.

I think this may be hardware locked or something. I'm not afraid to go in and have a look, working with electronics is what I do. But before I do I thought I'd see if anyone here's got any ideas.

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2017, 08:37:46 by Demo master »

Offline Demo master

Re: Ducky Shine 5 store display model doesn't register key presses. Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 08:37:16 »
Sorry to waste your time guys, I solved it myself. Decided to open her up on my own.

Turns out there was a jumper board connecting two different PCBs (one for the LEDs, another for the switches themselves). This was disconnected. Putting it back in solved the issue. A simple solution.

Consider this a protip for future buyers of store models.  ;D

Offline falkentyne

Re: Ducky Shine 5 store display model doesn't register key presses. (SOLVED!)
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 13:32:01 »
Where would you even have access to a "Store" model?  Ducky shines aren't sold in stores anywhere outside of Taiwan and some places in China.  I assume you were in Taiwan...

The 3528 SMD RGB is too large to fit inside the Cherry MX RGB housing slot so Ducky uses a dual PCB, one for the LED's and the other for the switches, and the daughterboard connects them; it's right around the arrow key cluster in a vertical rectangle.