Author Topic: Help figuring out what PCB and how to fix issue with it.  (Read 1807 times)

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
Help figuring out what PCB and how to fix issue with it.
« on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 02:13:44 »
I bought a board and am having trouble getting it to fit in a case without this transistor or capacitor getting in the way. The user I bought it from had it in a Ziptyze case. I have tried a Poker alu case and a lambo case. The silver thing sticking down from the PCB is stopping it from fitting. Any help would be appreciated.

Need to know:

-What PCB? I was told that it is a KC60.
-Can I take the silver thing off and the board still work?

157643-0
157645-1
157647-2
157649-3

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Re: Help figuring out what PCB and how to fix issue with it.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 02:58:03 »
Can I take the silver thing off and the board still work?
Absolutely not. That's the crystal, if you take it out, USB won't ever work.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Tactile

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 08:17:11 »
Don't know how much vertical height you have to work with (obviously you don't want the PCB above the lip of the case) but you can raise the PCB for more room using standoffs. They're available in many different heights and they look like this:

157654-0

If that's still too much just stack some flat washers between the PCB and the case - and, obviously, you'd need to increase the screw length to compensate.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 January 2017, 08:20:36 by Tactile »
REΛLFORCE

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 09:41:44 »
What you could do, is desolder every switch and remove the plate, fit the crystal underneath the plate. It looks like it would fit by looking at the pictures, but it's a lot of work.
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 10:41:29 »
Don't know how much vertical height you have to work with (obviously you don't want the PCB above the lip of the case) but you can raise the PCB for more room using standoffs. They're available in many different heights and they look like this:

(Attachment Link)

If that's still too much just stack some flat washers between the PCB and the case - and, obviously, you'd need to increase the screw length to compensate.

This looks like the easiest and most viable option, Do you know of a place where I could get these?

Thanks for the help everyone!

The PCB came from switchtop.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 11:06:56 »
This looks like the easiest and most viable option, Do you know of a place where I could get these?

Your local hardware store will probably have a few but the largest selection would be found on Ebay. Just copy/paste this into the search box:

m2 (standoff,standoffs)
REΛLFORCE

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 11:11:42 »

Your local hardware store will probably have a few but the largest selection would be found on Ebay. Just copy/paste this into the search box:

m2 (standoff,standoffs)

Found these:

https://www.amazon.com/100Pcs-Female-Thread-Pillars-Standoff/dp/B00REFG1YS/ref=pd_sim_328_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00REFG1YS&pd_rd_r=ZXFJVAYBZWPEF2C9MMEM&pd_rd_w=tmJZG&pd_rd_wg=BfIF2&psc=1&refRID=ZXFJVAYBZWPEF2C9MMEM

Thanks!

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 11:54:50 »

m2 (standoff,standoffs)

Found these:

https://www.amazon.com/100Pcs-Female-Thread-Pillars-Standoff/dp/B00REFG1YS/ref=pd_sim_328_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00REFG1YS&pd_rd_r=ZXFJVAYBZWPEF2C9MMEM&pd_rd_w=tmJZG&pd_rd_wg=BfIF2&psc=1&refRID=ZXFJVAYBZWPEF2C9MMEM

Thanks!

Just realized.. will I have an issue with usb placement?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 12:02:45 »
Most likely.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Tactile

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 12:11:27 »

m2 (standoff,standoffs)

Found these:

Thanks!

Oops, I just didn't think of that. Sorry.
REΛLFORCE

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 12:12:56 »

m2 (standoff,standoffs)

Found these:

Thanks!

Oops, I just didn't think of that. Sorry.

No worries. Planning on doing a 3D printed case soon and I am sure I can use them on that.