Author Topic: What computer games do you play?  (Read 871623 times)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: What computer games do you play?
« Reply #3700 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 12:24:29 »
I have actually been enjoying the Serious Sam games lately. They are really simple and perhaps even primitive by today's AAA standards, but dammit if they aren't fun as hell!

Never played any serious Sam games or even heard much about them. Is it an fps type game?

Stop making me feel old.... hahahahahaha

nawh... i know i'm old...

yea, it's fps,  like quake..

It was released way after quake, wasn't it? Like 5 or 6 years later. I can remember playing quake for the first time. The sound of the nail gun is something I may never forget.

Yep. I'm playing through Quake on normal atm haha. All these years and I still can't beat it in hardmode. Nightmare mode is too much :eek:

I was once so good in UT (not quake) that I played instagib on godlike. Everybody feared me back then. But yeah... then live and beer and puberty kicked in and my skills were gone forever. Blegh.

I played UTGOTYE during my senior year of high school. I tried playing online but I kept loading into the impossibly large maps with that one sniper that knew how to fish in a barrel of spawners. Campers are a delight ;D

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3701 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 12:26:22 »

I was once so good in UT (not quake) that I played instagib on godlike. Everybody feared me back then. But yeah... then live and beer and puberty kicked in and my skills were gone forever. Blegh.

I played UTGOTYE during my senior year of high school. I tried playing online but I kept loading into the impossibly large maps with that one sniper that knew how to fish in a barrel of spawners. Campers are a delight ;D

Good old times. I hated campers, still do. But sniping without camping is basically impossible (similar to battlefield). I always sneaked up on campers and killed them to teach them to stop doing that.

I was never really into quake 3. I was to.. slow for that I guess. People around me played Q3 even with 120% visibility and even higher speed than regular. That looked bad ass. Those reflexes of some people I gamed with... insane.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3702 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 12:29:20 »

Also, I was playing quake / doom / doom 2 today and I noticed that it is almost unplayable on an LCD because gray gradients suck (dark to a bit less dark lighting) and black levels are shabby on LCD. It is almost impossible to see enemies in the dark on an LCD, which is what doom is all about.

Um... hahaha.. you need to calibrate you monitors.. LOL..

Head to this website,   you only need to calibrate 3 pages, none of the other ones

gamma, black level, and white saturation.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

While it's true LCDs do not have Infinite contrast ratio like a CRT does..  with proper calibration, you should be able to see stuff without over-blowing shadow detail.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3703 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 12:37:19 »

Also, I was playing quake / doom / doom 2 today and I noticed that it is almost unplayable on an LCD because gray gradients suck (dark to a bit less dark lighting) and black levels are shabby on LCD. It is almost impossible to see enemies in the dark on an LCD, which is what doom is all about.

Head to this website,   you only need to calibrate 3 pages, none of the other ones

While it's true LCDs do not have Infinite contrast ratio like a CRT does..  with proper calibration, you should be able to see stuff without over-blowing shadow detail.

Thanks!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3704 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 13:44:42 »

Quake was like that for me when I played on CRT. Raising brightness since 97' lol. Monitor calibration is just good PC hygiene.

tp is there a professional or semi pro program you would recommend for calibration?

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3705 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 13:06:57 »
So GMG is having a special right now on Stellaris and with promo code SPACE25 you can pick it up for $30, so my friend convinced me to buy it.  So far, with 2-3 hours played, it's pretty fun and reminds me of other Paradox releases, although it does seem more streamlined as it was much easier for me to pick up than Crusader Kings II.  Supposedly Paradox did a lot of work on the late game to negate common problems in 4X strategy games where certain races or civilizations get too OP, so I look forward to playing it more and maybe even doing some multiplayer :)
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #3706 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 21:21:36 »
So GMG is having a special right now on Stellaris and with promo code SPACE25 you can pick it up for $30, so my friend convinced me to buy it.  So far, with 2-3 hours played, it's pretty fun and reminds me of other Paradox releases, although it does seem more streamlined as it was much easier for me to pick up than Crusader Kings II.  Supposedly Paradox did a lot of work on the late game to negate common problems in 4X strategy games where certain races or civilizations get too OP, so I look forward to playing it more and maybe even doing some multiplayer :)
The game is amazing. Spent several hours on it with a friend in a custom game and it's just the best 4X game I've tried. One of my favorite games this year.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3707 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 21:32:31 »

Quake was like that for me when I played on CRT. Raising brightness since 97' lol. Monitor calibration is just good PC hygiene.

tp is there a professional or semi pro program you would recommend for calibration?

Unless you do color work for PRINTING or Archiving..  you do not need accurate calibration.

Just using that website by eye is enough..

The human eye is not terribly sensitive to chroma differences (the color)

It is far more sensitive to LUMA, because our visual system is predominantly designed to DETECT edges..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3708 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 06:18:20 »

Unless you do color work for PRINTING or Archiving..  you do not need accurate calibration.

It is far more sensitive to LUMA, because our visual system is predominantly designed to DETECT edges..

Alrighty. Yea I'm not much of a photographer but if my design hobby grows I'll find an automated type system for calibration.

I gave Path Of Exile another shot. I'm stuck on the second quest OnO, but the game is pretty enjoyable so far imo.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3709 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 07:29:52 »
doto 2 for life
and cs go too

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3710 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 07:36:29 »
The game is amazing. Spent several hours on it with a friend in a custom game and it's just the best 4X game I've tried. One of my favorite games this year.

I'm getting used to pausing and speeding it up/down, but otherwise I've been really enjoying it.  I really like the different factions and that you can make your own custom faction.

Alrighty. Yea I'm not much of a photographer but if my design hobby grows I'll find an automated type system for calibration.

I gave Path Of Exile another shot. I'm stuck on the second quest OnO, but the game is pretty enjoyable so far imo.

Let me know if you need anything in PoE, I still play on and off :)
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3711 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 07:47:28 »

I'm getting used to pausing and speeding it up/down, but otherwise I've been really enjoying it.  I really like the different factions and that you can make your own custom faction.

Let me know if you need anything in PoE, I still play on and off :)

Will do, I like the storyline and characters. Definitely a change from the goofy Runes Of Magic rpg that I played for a bit.

Offline Perfex

« Reply #3712 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 02:11:34 »
I been enjoying replaying Baldur's Gate in the Enhanced Edition's, too many years of EQ & EQ2... it's such a breath of fresh air playing a game you can once again walk away from.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #3713 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 12:46:00 »
anyone play hearthstone?

add me: hearthken#1712

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #3714 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 19:33:47 »
Been back to WoW as of late...and far as Single Player goes been into the new D00M quite a bit.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3715 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 20:06:44 »
Been back to WoW as of late...and far as Single Player goes been into the new D00M quite a bit.

Ooh, how you liking Doom? I was thinking of waiting for a Steam sale.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #3716 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 05:21:15 »

The singleplayer is loads better than i thought they would end up pulling off..really feels true to the original Doom roots whilst adding some modern things into the mix at the same time. 

The Multiplayer however is a different story and if that is your main interest i would wait for a sale...just feels like another generic MP with customization that amounts to nothing but visual changes as you progress.

TLDR: Single player is a blast thus far (Unsure of length have not finished yet)  Optimization is great!  Multiplayer is fairly generic and nothing to write home about.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3717 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 06:12:22 »

The singleplayer is loads better than i thought they would end up pulling off..really feels true to the original Doom roots whilst adding some modern things into the mix at the same time. 

The Multiplayer however is a different story and if that is your main interest i would wait for a sale...just feels like another generic MP with customization that amounts to nothing but visual changes as you progress.

TLDR: Single player is a blast thus far (Unsure of length have not finished yet)  Optimization is great!  Multiplayer is fairly generic and nothing to write home about.

Thanks for the review. I'm mostly interested in the single player aspect, so that's great to hear!

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #3718 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 23:40:11 »
I keep going back but then I quit before the month is over. I think it's because it's not the same game as what I started playing 10 years ago when it first came out. I guess I miss 40 man raids. :D

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #3719 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 00:26:19 »
Started playing a session of Civ V.  What a great way to pass 12 hours.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3720 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 06:10:13 »
Fyi, Witcher 3 is half off on Steam until June 1st.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3721 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 09:28:26 »

Civ V is good for the soul

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3722 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 09:29:53 »

Thanks! Im gonna get it this go round.  still havent played 2.  should I first?

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #3723 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 11:04:09 »

Except when Gandhi won't stop hitting you up for money but doesn't help you for ****.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3724 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 11:42:43 »

Except when Gandhi won't stop hitting you up for money but doesn't help you for ****.

Don't worry, Ghandi rarely survives to late-game because he very rarely expands to more than 2-3 cities and usually gets gobbled up by warmongers.  I never deal with him anymore because he is a self-righteous asshat who loves to denounce people and then ask for stuff.

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #3725 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 12:37:12 »

Don't worry, Ghandi rarely survives to late-game because he very rarely expands to more than 2-3 cities and usually gets gobbled up by warmongers.  I never deal with him anymore because he is a self-righteous asshat who loves to denounce people and then ask for stuff.
Are you able to pick who you play as or is it all random?

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3726 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 12:52:49 »

You can choose random opponents or pick who you want to play against when you setup the game. 

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #3727 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 12:53:33 »

You can choose random opponents or pick who you want to play against when you setup the game.
I'll have to look into it since I always end up as Washington.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3728 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 13:05:47 »

To change it, you should be at a screen that looks like this...

Then you're going to click the 'Advanced Setup' button directly to the left of the 'Start Game' button which will bring you to a screen that looks like this...

This screen will allow you to change not only your Civ, but also the AI Civs and lots of other settings.  I always recommend turning on Quick Combat because if you don't late-game takes way longer once planes get involved, as their attack animation takes probably 30 seconds to complete for each plane attacking.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 May 2016, 13:08:07 by Waateva »

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #3729 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 16:24:30 »

To change it, you should be at a screen that looks like this...

Show Image

Then you're going to click the 'Advanced Setup' button directly to the left of the 'Start Game' button which will bring you to a screen that looks like this...

Show Image

This screen will allow you to change not only your Civ, but also the AI Civs and lots of other settings.  I always recommend turning on Quick Combat because if you don't late-game takes way longer once planes get involved, as their attack animation takes probably 30 seconds to complete for each plane attacking.
I will look into it when I can get around to playing it again.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3730 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 17:14:09 »

I have no idea. I haven't played any of them but I'm definitely going to pick this up. Can't beat $25.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3731 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 17:15:24 »

I have no idea. I haven't played any of them but I'm definitely going to pick this up. Can't beat $25.
I thought you left :'(

Sent from my local payphone

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3732 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 19:13:10 »

Left? Where would I have gone??

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3733 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 20:27:35 »
I have been stuck on the Twin Princes in Dark Souls 3 for going on 4 days now.

This **** is getting real ****ing old.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3734 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 22:47:55 »

Idk I think I'm confused.  I take sleep aid and stay up on this forum too late

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3735 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 23:08:27 »

Idk I think I'm confused.  I take sleep aid and stay up on this forum too late

Haha. I remember doing that back in the day :p

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #3736 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 00:21:22 »
I play Forza 6 on the Xbox at work, so downloaded the Forza 6 Apex beta for Windows 10. God damn that's a crappy port. None of the tuning or customization options and micro transactions all over the place... Ugh.
pls gief bbv2

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3737 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 13:38:08 »
So how about Doom 2016? Anybody playing it?

Really loving it so far, I'm halfway through now. REALLY AWESOME GAME (singe player at least).

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3738 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 17:26:13 »

Really loving it so far, I'm halfway through now. REALLY AWESOME GAME (singe player at least).

I've been playing a ton of Killing Floor 2 which seems to have a similar vibe, so I think I've got to take a break from the genre for a bit. But I definitely will be!

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #3739 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 17:29:52 »

I've been playing a ton of Killing Floor 2 which seems to have a similar vibe, so I think I've got to take a break from the genre for a bit. But I definitely will be!

I bought KF2 fairly early on and while it's definitely my style of game...i can't say iv'e gone back to it too much.  Not sure what it is but i just don't find it nearly as fun as i thought it would be.

D00m on the other hand has been a total blast thus far and it's the best money iv'e spent in quite some time game wise.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3740 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 17:42:47 »

I bought KF2 fairly early on and while it's definitely my style of game...i can't say iv'e gone back to it too much.  Not sure what it is but i just don't find it nearly as fun as i thought it would be.

D00m on the other hand has been a total blast thus far and it's the best money iv'e spent in quite some time game wise.

I think it's just the fun of hopping online and playing a ~30 minute round with a bunch of randos and demolishing their scores then being able to hop off. I've almost maxed out two perk charts.
So I think I'm going to pick up Witcher 3 and wait for a steam sale on Doom.

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #3741 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 04:32:30 »
I wanted a graphically impressive game to play on the new system, so playing Crysis 3 right now... It's very "meh".

I want to try Witcher 3 because I keep hearing such great things about it, but I'm not a really big RPG player, so I don't really know if it's gonna be my cup of tea...
pls gief bbv2

Offline Wazazaby

« Reply #3742 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 04:49:21 »
A lot of Dirty Bomb these days.

When I have no friend playing, I go on Super Meat Boy or Broforce

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3743 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 06:02:08 »
I wanted a graphically impressive game to play on the new system, so playing Crysis 3 right now... It's very "meh".

I want to try Witcher 3 because I keep hearing such great things about it, but I'm not a really big RPG player, so I don't really know if it's gonna be my cup of tea...

You should have picked up Whitcher 3 last week. It was half off on Steam. You might want to wait for it to go in sale again since you're not sure if you'll like it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 June 2016, 06:04:49 by UsualSuspectXXX »

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #3744 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 17:29:37 »

You should have picked up Whitcher 3 last week. It was half off on Steam. You might want to wait for it to go in sale again since you're not sure if you'll like it.

Oh shoot. I'm adding it to my wishlist on Steam so I'll get a notification if it goes on sale again.
pls gief bbv2

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3745 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 17:40:04 »

Oh shoot. I'm adding it to my wishlist on Steam so I'll get a notification if it goes on sale again.

I add a ton of stuff to my wishlist for that very reason.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3746 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 22:27:40 »
If you haven't already I would highly suggest you go out and buy the Odin Sphere remake. It is a gorgeously lush, well designed game with addictive gameplay. If you played the original, this version fixes literally every issue with it (like inv sorting during combat) and revamps a lot of the mechanics that kept the original great game from being amazing. But this version of Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is perfect.

If you have a PS3 or PS4 do yourself a favor and grab Odin Sphere Leifthrasir. It's a very memorable single player experience.

*No, I am not a sales exec for Atlus.

Offline unipsykal

• ghostly lurker
« Reply #3747 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 03:09:43 »
I have been stuck on the Twin Princes in Dark Souls 3 for going on 4 days now.

This **** is getting real ****ing old.

Platform? I'm down for jolly co-op if you need a hand!

Offline G-Dubs

« Reply #3748 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 08:33:07 »
If you haven't already I would highly suggest you go out and buy the Odin Sphere remake. It is a gorgeously lush, well designed game with addictive gameplay. If you played the original, this version fixes literally every issue with it (like inv sorting during combat) and revamps a lot of the mechanics that kept the original great game from being amazing. But this version of Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is perfect.

If you have a PS3 or PS4 do yourself a favor and grab Odin Sphere Leifthrasir. It's a very memorable single player experience.

*No, I am not a sales exec for Atlus.

TBH, this in itself makes it hard for me to not buy a PS4. Having a higher resolution and no slowdown is what I've wanted since Odin Sphere was originally released.
KUL ES-87 MX Red || KBP V60 Matias Linear || KBP V60 Matias Quiet Click || Varmilo VA87MR Gateron Black || Leopold FC210P MX Black

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3749 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 08:52:23 »
I tried Dota2, how the flip does a person backup in that game? I can't make my character retreat when I've gone too far forward. It's cool though, lots of stuff to learn for sure

Edit - I'll look it up. Complete MOBA newb here
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 June 2016, 09:19:44 by csmertx »