Author Topic: [GB] Modern M0110 custom keyboard  (Read 271865 times)

Offline FRANCO

Re: [GB] Modern M0110 custom keyboard
« Reply #500 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 10:44:02 »
I still believe the Modern 0110 will come out much nicer than the Drop board, although the longer wait time.

I was considering the Drop one...and even though it includes an option to have a standard 60% layout without the blockers, I don't know, something just feels off about the design

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #501 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 23:28:48 »
@Deskcandy
Hey John, I would like to get an update on the European orders. Are you also shipping those out one by one or do we have to wait until all are finished? Also I might be moving in a couple of months depending on how the current covid situation turns out and would like to know if I have to contact my keyboard or you if that happens.
Cheers

Hey there, I was originally going to wait until everything was done, but given that we've had a delay with gray anodizing, I'm going to reach out to mykeyboard about sending what I have now and the rest later when the production is 100% complete.

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #502 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 23:44:40 »
Hey guys, quick update. I made a pickup from the Cerakote vendor Saturday and got about 20 more light sand tops and a few (engraved) bottoms that all look great. Will be sending out more order confirm emails - can't wait to get these in your hands :)

Other quick update is that grey anodizing is going forward and luckily the vendor is not shut down due to COVID-19, so fingers crossed should have grey done in 2-3 weeks. Last piece remaining is a couple of redos on both anodizing and Cerakote and then cranking through all the non-light sand engraved units!!! We're almost there guys.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #503 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 01:06:39 »
So my light sand engraved board is just one of a couple that aren’t shipped?  I had only seen one of these posted so far.  Guess it’s just the luck of the draw.

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #504 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 01:38:06 »
Not quite - I am almost done receiving all light sand units (engraved are in progress) but I haven't shipped everything that is done. It takes 1-2 hours to prepare and ship each order while I push on manufacturing in parallel, so I haven't shipped all orders which are "manufacturing complete".  I've shipped about 25% of orders which are manufacturing complete at this point, so you're probably in that 75% or the few remaining at the Cerakote vendor. Once I get everything the vendors, I can devote 100% of my time to shipping instead of manufacturing :)

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #505 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 01:40:42 »
So my light sand engraved board is just one of a couple that aren’t shipped?  I had only seen one of these posted so far.  Guess it’s just the luck of the draw.

Happy to check if you send me your order # by DM or email info@deskcandy.xyz.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #506 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 16:36:28 »
Emailed ya

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #508 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 23:18:40 »
Yay!
240419-0240421-1

Offline Warrenified

« Reply #509 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 02:37:27 »
Still waiting on a shipping confirmation for a silver unit :(

Thanks for the updates though! Hope all is well with you and your family.

« Reply #510 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 17:22:37 »
Stop regularly checking GH for a few years and miss this awesome group buy. Looks amazing, supremely jealous!

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy

Offline macclack

• Macclack

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #513 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 23:30:42 »
Great to hear :)

Also just PSA to everyone with light sand Cerakote units and light shaded custom colors. The light sand color attracts dust and gets smudged by finger oils very easily, but it's also easy to clean off using a soft cloth (e.g. microfiber) or paper towel and a mild cleaner - I use orange cleaner from the hardware store.

It's been on my mind lately since I go through a lot of gloves and masks (for sanding / clear coating plates) when prepping orders and now those are getting harder to find. Be safe out there everyone!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #514 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 00:32:46 »
Great to hear :)

Also just PSA to everyone with light sand Cerakote units and light shaded custom colors. The light sand color attracts dust and gets smudged by finger oils very easily, but it's also easy to clean off using a soft cloth (e.g. microfiber) or paper towel and a mild cleaner - I use orange cleaner from the hardware store.

It's been on my mind lately since I go through a lot of gloves and masks (for sanding / clear coating plates) when prepping orders and now those are getting harder to find. Be safe out there everyone!

I know what you mean.  I have a milspec green cerakoted board and it picks up finger oils like crazy.  My gray Bauer does it too, but the robin's egg blue plate on it doesn't.  Must have something to do with the individual cerakote colors.  But yeah, like you said, it does wipe off easily with a microfiber cloth and cleaner.  Looking forward to getting my board.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 April 2020, 01:00:00 by pixelpusher »

Offline ibabo

• yeaaaaaaahh
« Reply #515 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 06:13:46 »
Have any black cerakote boards gone out? Still waiting on mine
ahaaaa, keyboard. HOVA

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #516 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 19:54:41 »
Have any black cerakote boards gone out? Still waiting on mine

Yes about a third are out and shipped. Trying to ship rest of black Cerakote by end of week. Unfortunately discovered that one of the black tops didn't actually have the plate screwholes drilled out :eek:

I have extra raw tops but will have to get an extra done by the Cerakote vendor so 1 will be more delayed (prioritizing by order timestamp) until I can get a new top piece with the holes drilled properly.

Manufacturing is fun :)

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #517 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 20:54:19 »
Any update about the stormtrooper white ones?

Offline heavyheaded

« Reply #518 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 14:16:40 »
I emailed about updating the shipping address on March 30 and never got a response (order #00186). Did you get that?

edit: we're good now.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 May 2020, 02:13:23 by heavyheaded »

Offline your_fish_monger

« Reply #519 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 15:04:51 »
Any update at all on the gray ano units? Any chance we can get a more exhaustive update on the units/colors/finishes that are still pending, John?

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #520 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 19:02:05 »
Any update at all on the gray ano units? Any chance we can get a more exhaustive update on the units/colors/finishes that are still pending, John?

I was in touch with the anodizer last week, and gray should be done by now, if not then some day this coming week. I have to do a QC pass as it's likely we'll have to redo a handful of the gray units and make sure the redone silver ones are in good shape. After that, it's just Cerakote, which is a mix of all colors, mostly light sand but other colors as well.

Offline agingbones

« Reply #521 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 23:24:10 »
241928-0

This keyboard is VERY heavy but super nice. I love it a lot already.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 May 2020, 23:28:53 by agingbones »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #522 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 00:12:45 »
(Attachment Link)

Nice build.  I like that we can judge the cerakote color against the alphas of godspeed.  What switches are you using?

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #523 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 08:04:09 »
(Attachment Link)

That's a pretty classy build right there! I like it  :thumb:

Offline agingbones

« Reply #524 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 08:53:01 »
(Attachment Link)

Nice build.  I like that we can judge the cerakote color against the alphas of godspeed.  What switches are you using?
For switches, I'm using 55g everglides, filmed and lubed with 204.

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #525 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 11:32:16 »
Any estimate for when all Cerakote units will ship out?

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #526 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 16:07:28 »
I do not. It is highly dependent on how quickly my Cerakote vendor can move. He just took 2 weeks off, unfortunately for us, but I am told should have some more units for me this week.

On another note, I caught up yesterday with the anodizer. They did a batch of grey units Friday and apparently they came out horribly with white spots all over, so they are redoing them today. I will catch up with them again tomorrow to check back in. Fingers crossed will be able to pick up and ship the grey anodized units soon!! If the redo comes out OK, then theoretically can have all the grey units in stock by this weekend and start shipping.

Offline Dumblescore

« Reply #527 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 16:53:24 »
I hope mine (#22) turns out!  The person who did the custom engraving design wasn’t entirely certain what parameters the engraver would have to use.

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #528 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 23:33:31 »
Ah yes, I don't have a picture of it on hand, but we ended up just fixing the file to work on the engraver ourselves and have to say I think you'll be pleased with how it came out :)

It's in the grey batch so hopefully will have it in a couple days.

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #529 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 15:01:16 »
Hey guys, just got off the phone with the anodizer. They are still running into some issues with splatter (white spots) on the grey units and trying to find out why it's happening. They are trying a few different things now and will get back to me Monday or Tuesday with an update.

Offline Starius

« Reply #530 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 11:29:36 »
Ladies and Gentlemen, the hype is real and worth the wait.  A very lovely keyboard as well as tribute to the M0110.

242803-0

242805-1

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #531 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 12:37:49 »
Amazing!! We need a R2 !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #532 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 23:42:12 »
Ladies and Gentlemen, the hype is real and worth the wait.  A very lovely keyboard as well as tribute to the M0110.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Nice build!! Curious, what switches did you go with for the build?

Offline TheBlackHammer

« Reply #533 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 07:19:15 »
Please have a round two! I just found this and it is amazing. I have always loved retro things!!

Offline Starius

« Reply #534 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 10:40:51 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Well, I had the assembly service so you put them in for me.  ;)
Outemu sky switches, 68g. Never tried them before and I have to say I’m very happy with how they feel.

Unfortunately for me, and I’m embarrassed to confess this, but I’ve messed my pcb up a bit at the moment.
I got it in my head that I wanted a stepped capslock key so I removed that switch and re-soldered in the appropriate spot.  Then I flashed the board with my custom layout and..... well, now it’s not working for me on Mac or Windows. (Though it was working briefly ) I plan to take the bottom case off again to see if I just made a contact short or something.  Unfortunately, with my work schedule this will have to wait for the weekend.  My dumb fault, I’ll get it sorted though hopefully.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #535 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 17:56:50 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I like the look with XDA Oblique. I'm going to have to give that a try.

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #536 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 23:16:03 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Well, I had the assembly service so you put them in for me.  ;)
Outemu sky switches, 68g. Never tried them before and I have to say I’m very happy with how they feel.

Unfortunately for me, and I’m embarrassed to confess this, but I’ve messed my pcb up a bit at the moment.
I got it in my head that I wanted a stepped capslock key so I removed that switch and re-soldered in the appropriate spot.  Then I flashed the board with my custom layout and..... well, now it’s not working for me on Mac or Windows. (Though it was working briefly ) I plan to take the bottom case off again to see if I just made a contact short or something.  Unfortunately, with my work schedule this will have to wait for the weekend.  My dumb fault, I’ll get it sorted though hopefully.

Heh I totally forgot :P

Glad you like the Outemu 68g, I haven't tried it myself in a completed build but the switch by itself feels nice. Good luck with the switch repair! Hopefully an easy fix!

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #537 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 03:33:39 »
Hey folks, couple quick updates.

• Just hit 40 units shipped! This is just over 25% of the GB. Primarily concentrated in the US, so this is about 45% of orders placed directly through me in the US. Still have a long way to go, but I'm really happy about getting this far and things definitely seem to be picking up momentum towards the finish here.
  • I am confirming ALL orders before shipping. It's just way too risky to ship a $500 keyboard to someone and have an issue with someone's old address or not having access to an office etc. So please please please, look out for my order confirmation emails (from john@deskcandy.xyz) and if you haven't received one already and you have a silver or light sand unit (which are mostly in stock now), then don't hesitate to reach out to me first to speed things up. A couple folks have not responded to me, including an international order which makes me nervous, but I'll put some extra effort in after giving y'all time to respond to find everyone and get a confirmation before I ship.
  • I haven't shipped anything to proxies yet. Given everything going on and also cutting down on complexity somewhat, I am working out a game plan with zFrontier and Mykeyboard but looks like I'll send them their entire orders once they are complete. Since their orders span across all colors, this probably will come at the very end. Sorry to my friends in Europe in China, I am working my butt off to get you your keyboards asap!
  • Somehow ended up with a surplus of a dozen or so extra light sand unengraved units from my Cerakote vendor going a bit crazy on the light sand :cool:. I will probably sell these as extras at the end of the GB (keeping them in reserves in case I need to swap out bottoms or tops if there are QC issues I didn't catch already). Was hoping if I had extras I'd do some cool unique colors or something but if I've learned anything from this GB, it's keep it simple. So yeah, if you're interested in extras, light sand unengraved units are probably coming in a month or two (or three  :p) There may also be some B-stock units, where the raw aluminum parts got dented or dinged along the way (luckily I can fix surface finishing issues more easily with direct access to those vendors here in Socal) and for those I may do what's called a "shotpeen" finish where they fire a bunch of small metal balls at the part to give it a really cool textured finish. It's definitely not for everyone but I think it's a really unique look and hides ****ty machining issues well.
  • If you've received your keyboard already, post it here! Want to see all your dope builds and see how you guys are pairing keysets with Modern M0110. The grey/beige classic sets work really great but particularly interested to see if folks make more ambitious keycap sets work as well ;)

Stay safe everyone!

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #538 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 14:20:33 »
Here's a couple photos of my current build. I tried to replicate the original PBT high profile keycaps with SP's SA Heavy Industry keycaps (work in progress). With SA keycaps it's ridiculously high profile  :p
242973-0242975-1

Offline TheBlackHammer

« Reply #539 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 15:33:15 »
Hey folks, couple quick updates.

• Just hit 40 units shipped! This is just over 25% of the GB. Primarily concentrated in the US, so this is about 45% of orders placed directly through me in the US. Still have a long way to go, but I'm really happy about getting this far and things definitely seem to be picking up momentum towards the finish here.
  • I am confirming ALL orders before shipping. It's just way too risky to ship a $500 keyboard to someone and have an issue with someone's old address or not having access to an office etc. So please please please, look out for my order confirmation emails (from john@deskcandy.xyz) and if you haven't received one already and you have a silver or light sand unit (which are mostly in stock now), then don't hesitate to reach out to me first to speed things up. A couple folks have not responded to me, including an international order which makes me nervous, but I'll put some extra effort in after giving y'all time to respond to find everyone and get a confirmation before I ship.
  • I haven't shipped anything to proxies yet. Given everything going on and also cutting down on complexity somewhat, I am working out a game plan with zFrontier and Mykeyboard but looks like I'll send them their entire orders once they are complete. Since their orders span across all colors, this probably will come at the very end. Sorry to my friends in Europe in China, I am working my butt off to get you your keyboards asap!
  • Somehow ended up with a surplus of a dozen or so extra light sand unengraved units from my Cerakote vendor going a bit crazy on the light sand :cool:. I will probably sell these as extras at the end of the GB (keeping them in reserves in case I need to swap out bottoms or tops if there are QC issues I didn't catch already). Was hoping if I had extras I'd do some cool unique colors or something but if I've learned anything from this GB, it's keep it simple. So yeah, if you're interested in extras, light sand unengraved units are probably coming in a month or two (or three  :p) There may also be some B-stock units, where the raw aluminum parts got dented or dinged along the way (luckily I can fix surface finishing issues more easily with direct access to those vendors here in Socal) and for those I may do what's called a "shotpeen" finish where they fire a bunch of small metal balls at the part to give it a really cool textured finish. It's definitely not for everyone but I think it's a really unique look and hides ****ty machining issues well.
  • If you've received your keyboard already, post it here! Want to see all your dope builds and see how you guys are pairing keysets with Modern M0110. The grey/beige classic sets work really great but particularly interested to see if folks make more ambitious keycap sets work as well ;)

Stay safe everyone!
Count me in for an extra! I need one of these in my life

Offline mchanneh

• trying to reset terrible typing habits!
« Reply #540 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 17:08:44 »

Sign me up! Followed.
Kailh Box Royals | Cherry Reds | Knockoff Blues

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #541 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 17:52:59 »
  • Somehow ended up with a surplus of a dozen or so extra light sand unengraved units from my Cerakote vendor going a bit crazy on the light sand :cool:. I will probably sell these as extras at the end of the GB (keeping them in reserves in case I need to swap out bottoms or tops if there are QC issues I didn't catch already). Was hoping if I had extras I'd do some cool unique colors or something but if I've learned anything from this GB, it's keep it simple. So yeah, if you're interested in extras, light sand unengraved units are probably coming in a month or two (or three  :p) There may also be some B-stock units, where the raw aluminum parts got dented or dinged along the way (luckily I can fix surface finishing issues more easily with direct access to those vendors here in Socal) and for those I may do what's called a "shotpeen" finish where they fire a bunch of small metal balls at the part to give it a really cool textured finish.
Any additional plates for sale? I'd really love to pick one up.

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #542 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 19:02:07 »
  • Somehow ended up with a surplus of a dozen or so extra light sand unengraved units from my Cerakote vendor going a bit crazy on the light sand :cool:. I will probably sell these as extras at the end of the GB (keeping them in reserves in case I need to swap out bottoms or tops if there are QC issues I didn't catch already). Was hoping if I had extras I'd do some cool unique colors or something but if I've learned anything from this GB, it's keep it simple. So yeah, if you're interested in extras, light sand unengraved units are probably coming in a month or two (or three  :p) There may also be some B-stock units, where the raw aluminum parts got dented or dinged along the way (luckily I can fix surface finishing issues more easily with direct access to those vendors here in Socal) and for those I may do what's called a "shotpeen" finish where they fire a bunch of small metal balls at the part to give it a really cool textured finish.
Any additional plates for sale? I'd really love to pick one up.

Brass or acrylic? I'm not going to use my acrylic plate (with foam insert).[/list]
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 May 2020, 06:32:16 by Fredington »

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #543 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 22:51:11 »
    Brass or acrylic? I'm not going to use my acrylic plate (with foam insert). [/list]

Interested! Please PM me and let me know cost. Thx!

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
      • Desk Candy
    « Reply #544 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 02:00:11 »
    I will have extra plates for sale but going to wait to list them until all or almost all orders are shipped to be on the safe(r) side. Probably mostly extra brass plates but maybe some extra acrylic too.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
    « Reply #545 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 11:53:08 »
    I will have extra plates for sale but going to wait to list them until all or almost all orders are shipped to be on the safe(r) side. Probably mostly extra brass plates but maybe some extra acrylic too.

Awesome. I'll definitely be looking to pick up an extra brass plate.

Offline your_fish_monger

« Reply #546 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 10:55:06 »

Yeah, John, I would ask that you wait until *all* units have shipped. It wouldn't be fair for people who received their board a year ago to already be able to get extra plates while many of us have yet to even see the keyboard, see how it sounds, etc. We have no idea if we would need a new, replacement, or second plate until we actually (finally, hopefully) receive ours.

Offline dwarflemur

« Reply #547 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 12:17:53 »
    Got it all put together last night, there is some spacebar rattle I need to figure out, but it is awesome!! Lubed and filmed tealios with C3 stabs, mkultra plate foam, and foam I cut myself in the bottom. Wasn't intending to keep this keyset on here long term but it's pretty fire
    Camp C225 | Norbatouch | ALF X2 + X3 | Orange TKL | CA66 | Leaf 60 | a bunch of others

Offline Starius

« Reply #548 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 13:43:21 »
    I really should get in the habit of getting extra plates in the first place, I don’t know why I haven’t done so. 
    If extras do run out, will files be provided the plate making services out there?

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #549 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 18:58:47 »
    I really should get in the habit of getting extra plates in the first place, I don’t know why I haven’t done so. 
    If extras do run out, will files be provided the plate making services out there?

You can download the plate design here! https://github.com/deskcandy/modern-m0110