Author Topic: code keyboard w/Cherry MX Greens  (Read 6847 times)

Offline rtpguy

code keyboard w/Cherry MX Greens
« on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 21:55:17 »
First post, long time keyboard lover...at least when they're not crap. ;)
I was 'one of those' running IBM k/bs with AT and PS2 adapters in the office, clicking away happily, then tried an original DAS blank, decided I like the key legends then found Unicomp and killed a handful of those over time (mostly due to the lovely habit of working remote/from home a lot and eating at the desk..they DO say you can send a kb back in for cleaning, but they were NASTY...so haven't taken 'em up on it yet! ;) )

So...I'd gotten SO used to the Unicomp full-size that it never even occurred to me to look for a TKL k/b until I ordered one for one of our architects at work.  As I HAVE had repetitive stress induced injuries in the past, I'm ALL about ergonomics, using a Logitech trackman wheel forever, have an Aeron at home and ergo human at the office, keyboard trays properly set up, etc...but just never realized how much 'extra movement' I was doing with a full-size board until I saw the aforementioned TKL at work. 

Being so used to the IBM, cherry switches never really got a rise or second look out of me in the past.  I bought a few misc. Cherry KBs for datacenters and server consoles, but never specified a specific switch type, etc., nor really cared much for them other than 'should last better than the random Dells.' 

So, off I went looking for a TKL not for gaming ,but for typing, and typing, and typing some more.  Razor, CM Storm, etc. etc. all came and were passed by in the research phase.  HHK is interesting, but still rubber dome, and for the $, I didn't feel like racking up $1K in 'let me try them all' at this point in time.  I almost bought a WASD 'standard' TKL, but then had almost expected the backlighting due to coming across all the 'gamer' keyboards in my research, then came across the code 87/TKL.  I also picked up a Matias Ergo Pro, figuring one of the two might be 'the one' to replace my trusty-but-not-quite-as-beefy-as-original-IBMs Unicomps, which don't come in TKL versions.

After much agonizing, I went with the MX Greens.  The Coder KB has the slight advantage, AFAIK, of coming with the o-rings installed as part of the price, plus the backlighting, otherwise it's pretty much the WASD TKL AFAIK.  Why greens?  Activation force vs the Unicomp/Model Ms.  Blue was my 'fallback' if I couldn't find anything suitable in Greens...but figured I'd start with the closets I could to my buckling spring. 

So...it arrived.  Slightly annoyed I can't get a Mac or Linux key, but at least they leave the command key blank on their layout, and you can swap the Alt and Command key and a few others via DIP switches. 

Initial Impressions:  It's reasonably hefty.  It's click-ish, more or less sounds pretty similar to my Unicomps, even with the o-rings installed.  I DO use a ten key somewhat often, mostly when paying bills or occasionally for Excel work, so that bit's strange, although I picked up a USB mechanical 10-key add-on, and just slide it forward when I need it - not as good as the IBM 10-key layout etched into my brain, but just couldn't find one matching the layout, so I'm slower on the extra 10-key still, but...oh well.

The Unicomp by comparison is...'deeper' sounding.  I wasn't to say the Code87 w/Greens has a bit more pressure to activate.  It's not excessively more, but it is more.  It feels 'kind of the same' but not entirely vs the IBM or Unicomps..probably 'close enough' for most people wanting to expand their options beyond Unicomp.  I AM happy I got the o-rings, as I type reasonably quickly and have been doing it for years, but my hands overlap, cross, and do some bad things, on top of which I generally do indeed bottom out the keys MOST of the times. 

Overall, I like the layout and the keyboard.  I can type on it all day long, although I MIGHT consider giving the blues a try sometime.  The LED backlighting and the 'translucent' keys are nice, other than I'm unaware of being able to find matching keycaps anywhere.  I like the front-etched extended key legends (e.g. media keys), although one ding is those are etched and don't allow light through like the rest of the keys. 

By comparison to the Ergo Pro, I like the key feel of the MX Greens a LOT better at the moment...the Ergo Pro seems to feel barely mechanical at all and is much lighter, with very little 'click' to it.  I'm committed to giving the Ergo Pro a fair shake, as it seems to be made well, but I'm unsure if I like the key feel...and while I thought I had ordered the 'regular force, make noise' version, I'm starting to question it.

Thumbs up so far on the code87 overall.  Very little I don't like about it overall, really.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: code keyboard w/Cherry MX Greens
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 05:30:22 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A good review, thanks :)

I've got a TKL CODE with MX clears.  I'd agree with the weight - it is a nice, solid keyboard.

I also have another keyboard with MX greens, and a few buckling spring keyboards.  Although MX greens are the closest MX switch to buckling springs, to me they still fall short.

If you like buckling springs and MX greens, you probably won't like MX blues, as they are the same as greens but much, much lighter.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rtpguy

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 22:30:18 »
Thanks for the welcome.  :thumb:

I've got an 'expensive test switch'coming in the form of a massdrop 10key w/blues coming, but definitely appreciate the heads up RE: blues seeming much lighter.  Would love to try a Tire board just to see if such a keyboard exists w/a membrane that I could actually like....but not for the $$ I've seen.

I'd buy the code again,  but remain interested in TRYING to get more ergo...main problem being the time to re-learn but also the lack of 'nice'(subjective...to me,  of course  ^-^) switches on them.  Looking what I saw on the keyboard.io project...but expect still no switch love for me there.

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 23:33:25 »
Thanks for the review.  I like the Green MX switches too although I gravitated towards lighter switches over time.  I'm currently Brown MX user.  That said, Green MX is one of Cherry's best switches they have produced.  I feels more tactile than the Blue for some reason while having a good amount of resistance similar to a buckling spring Unicomp.

Offline Darkshado

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 23:56:31 »
Keep your eyes peeled for SSKs that aren't prohibitively priced...

// I'm still at a loss as to why Unicomp hasn't resumed production on those... If mold and tooling is too expensive vs their cash flow, team up with someone like Massdrop to get the production going in a group buy, then sell as with the other models. Better yet, reverse engineer the original SSK's mold, make the parts interchangeable for repairs and overhauls.

You might like MX Clears as well if you need something quieter somewhere, not quite the same feel as a buckling spring but heavier than Blues.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 05:53:40 »
Thanks for the welcome.  :thumb:

I've got an 'expensive test switch'coming in the form of a massdrop 10key w/blues coming, but definitely appreciate the heads up RE: blues seeming much lighter.  Would love to try a Tire board just to see if such a keyboard exists w/a membrane that I could actually like....but not for the $$ I've seen.

I'd buy the code again,  but remain interested in TRYING to get more ergo...main problem being the time to re-learn but also the lack of 'nice'(subjective...to me,  of course  ^-^) switches on them.  Looking what I saw on the keyboard.io project...but expect still no switch love for me there.

The joy of trying switches :)

I still haven't tried any Alps switches, nor the Model F variety of buckling springs.

Nor a few dozen other switches :))

But I've tried enough to know I like heavier switches, including blacks, greens, clears and buckling springs.

And Topre ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 18:40:58 »

I still haven't tried any Alps switches, nor the Model F variety of buckling springs.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Offline rtpguy

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 19:45:08 »
Damn - typed in my last response on my iPad.  auto-correct failures throughout.  :eek:
Tire board = Topre, auto-corrected into silliness courtesy of Apple.  :))

How does a Topre feel compared to a bucking key? 
There just seems to be no way to inexpensively try one that I'm aware of?

I'm OK w/moderate noise and actually, I think the MX greens are slightly quite than me on the UniComp, but I do a growing number of meetings nowadays, so would be interesting to see if a slightly quieter but still very tactile and not-low-pressure switch existed (still learning the Cherry activation weights, just more or less had 'discarded' anything but Blues and greens from consideration based on my buckling-spring-love..).

Damn.  I really didn't need any more relatively expensive 'hobbies.'  Just give me an ergo board that doesn't drive me insane, that I magically instantly adapt to without wanting to throw out a window, give me a slightly quieter buckling spring-like switch, backlighting, and let it last 10 years.  Is that too much to ask for?  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 20 August 2016, 05:43:26 »
Heavy and tactile = MX clears.  With O-rings if thr bottoming out sound is still too loud for meetings.

Topre and BS are completely different in look, sound, feel and feedback.  There is no meaningful way to compare them - you'd have to try them both.

Offline rtpguy

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 14:52:14 »
Heavy and tactile = MX clears.  With O-rings if thr bottoming out sound is still too loud for meetings.

Topre and BS are completely different in look, sound, feel and feedback.  There is no meaningful way to compare them - you'd have to try them both.

It seems like someone should be making a ~20 key switch tester to include a Topre + all Cherries + Alps/Matias and the 'clones.' 
I now have a tester coming just to see what I think of the Clears.  I'm keeping the Code TKL w/Greens, but am not liking the key feel (mush, non-slickly, non-tactile..to me) on the Ergo Pro...so have my eye on the keyboard.io project and the UHK...but too much $$ to not be sure of which switches I want if I go that route to ease into a split..

Offline pmck

• Software Engineer
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 17:04:53 »
It seems like someone should be making a ~20 key switch tester to include a Topre + all Cherries + Alps/Matias and the 'clones.'

Now thats something I'd love to have sitting on my desk! never tried a Topre switch yet :(

|        IBM M         |      Wasd V1      |   GH60    | KBC Poker | GHPAD |

WANTED:Nada have all I want for now!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 21:50:23 »

Now thats something I'd love to have sitting on my desk! never tried a Topre switch yet :(

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/55g-Topre-Realforce-Switch-Tester-KEYCHAIN-Keyboard-Key-/272082587370

Offline pmck

• Software Engineer

|        IBM M         |      Wasd V1      |   GH60    | KBC Poker | GHPAD |

WANTED:Nada have all I want for now!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling

Offline rtpguy

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 21:55:59 »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/55g-Topre-Realforce-Switch-Tester-KEYCHAIN-Keyboard-Key-/272082587370

Nice, even the (single) switch tester is more $$ :D
Bought.
here's the US link for others: http://www.ebay.com/itm/55g-Topre-Realforce-Switch-Tester-KEYCHAIN-Keyboard-Key-/272082587370

Offline rtpguy

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 21:57:06 »

But I've tried enough to know I like heavier switches, including blacks, greens, clears and buckling springs.

And Topre ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281877644506  :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 22:02:06 »

And Topre ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281877644506  :))

Better: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Keyboard-Switch-Set-ALPS-Blue-Green-Omron-Hall-Effect-Global-Shipping/301934093404

All form orihalcon, cable-maker extraordinaire!

Offline rtpguy

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 19:03:10 »
So...the WASD switch tester came. 

Blind test, meaning don't look at the switches, just cycle through them, consistently came back to:
Like: Green, Clear, Black
On fence: Blue followed by Brown
No way ever: Red

At least it's consistent - I like the heavier switches..
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 August 2016, 21:49:00 by rtpguy »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 21:48:12 »
So...the WASD switch teaser came. 

Blind test, meaning don't look at the switches, just cycle through them, consistently came back to:
Like: Green, Clear, Black
On fence: Blue followed by Brown
No way ever: Red

At least it's consistent - I like the heavier switches..

:thumb: