Author Topic: Unique Ducky One 2 Mini  (Read 13955 times)

Offline EndgameProjects

Unique Ducky One 2 Mini
« on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 09:24:02 »
Well,

Unique for today.

I'll just say QMK and leave this here ;-)

https://imgur.com/gallery/1IDFqvg

(Spent April developing QMK Firmware for the Ducky One 2 Mini - story to follow over the next few days - code to be merged onto GitHub hopefully also in a few days)

Oh and also - hello everyone on GeekHack! Nice to be here instead of just lurking! :D

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
Re: Unique Ducky One 2 Mini
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 06:53:31 »
Wow, QMK on a Ducky board! Nice work.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline EndgameProjects

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 07:22:11 »
Thanks! It was an interesting development project.

Offline AbstraktDesignLab

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 16:08:02 »
Damn. Are the one 2s using ARM processors?

Offline EndgameProjects

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 16:21:16 »
Not sure about the One 2, but the One 2 Mini does - yes. 32-bit @72MHz

Offline AbstraktDesignLab

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 16:51:36 »
Not sure about the One 2, but the One 2 Mini does - yes. 32-bit @72MHz

Well that's awesome. I may have to pick one up at some point to mess around with!

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 17:54:56 »
This is awesome! What steps did you have to take to flash the controller with QMK?
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline EndgameProjects

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 09:55:30 »
Sorry - I wasn't alerted to your post! :-[

Flashing the firmware has so far been done with the MCU manufacturer's flash tool. This is not really a good choice for general flashing as it's pretty easy to click the wrong thing and possibly wipe the entire keyboard (including bootloader - so cue SWD/JTAG programming, which we want to avoid)! I'm putting a small console program together so that it can fit into standard QMK flashing procedures - like dfu.

The good news is that Ducky leave the MCU manufacturer's bootloader in place on the chip, so it's possible to go back and forwards between a QMK firmware and a standard Ducky one if you want to - simply by holding down the usual two keys and flashing with whichever of the two tools you like. :)

Offline networkdrift

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 11:05:47 »
Very cool. Will make the Ducky One 2 Mini a much more versatile board.

Offline EndgameProjects

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 11:15:54 »
Ducky designers have used some neat little touches on the PCB design. I really like seeing clever elements that basically nobody who uses a product would really know or care about.

You're correct - anything that can use an Open Source version of something means it's almost endlessly configurable if you try hard enough :)

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 01:02:14 »
Sorry - I wasn't alerted to your post! :-[

Flashing the firmware has so far been done with the MCU manufacturer's flash tool. This is not really a good choice for general flashing as it's pretty easy to click the wrong thing and possibly wipe the entire keyboard (including bootloader - so cue SWD/JTAG programming, which we want to avoid)! I'm putting a small console program together so that it can fit into standard QMK flashing procedures - like dfu.

The good news is that Ducky leave the MCU manufacturer's bootloader in place on the chip, so it's possible to go back and forwards between a QMK firmware and a standard Ducky one if you want to - simply by holding down the usual two keys and flashing with whichever of the two tools you like. :)

Oh, surprisingly easy!
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline eatsoup

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 06:34:30 »
Wow this is great news, please keep us posted!

Offline dutti

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 01:40:00 »
Thats awesome! Been looking for this. :D
Could you share some more with us? Some steps and/or code would be awesome!
Would like to fiddle around with it and maybe I can contribute.

Offline joric

Offline joric

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 10:02:50 »

Offline skydevht

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 23:45:23 »

Offline casuneanu.andrei

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 14:10:51 »
hello guys, due to some mistakes on my side (I flashed the update for ONE 2 MINI on the ONE 2 SF) now my keyboard doesn't work like it should
I thought it would make a cool project to make it work diy, so I did the steps from here https://dev.to/skydevht/i-wanna-hack-my-keyboard-4e7f
it went well, I compiled the hex for the one 2 mini and I though as a first step flash it and see if it still works and from there start to make it work for the correct layout (the 65% layout)

I don't really know how to flash it safely, without breaking the bootloader for example
I saw that a common tool is dfu-programmer https://linux.die.net/man/1/dfu-programmer but I'm not really sure about what target to choose
could anyone provde me with some info on how not to brick the keyboard when I flash it?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 16:25:58 »
The OP hasn't logged in in nearly a year and the domain their e-mail is on is available to buy so they won't be getting a notification that you've posted.  Lurker to pro modder to ghost, such a shame...

There's nothing in the linked github repositories that looks like a new flashing tool so reading above you'll have to look at the chips on the board and work out which one it is, then find the manufacturer and look on their website to find the tool and instructions.  The OP managed so it's not impossible though he(?) mentions it would be easy to brick it so I'm not going to risk trying to help.

You should be able to contact Ducky (maybe not now with CoViD-19 ruining everything...) and get the correct standard firmware back on it.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline casuneanu.andrei

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 17:04:44 »
thanks a lot for the response even if it puts me in a dead end, I've already emailed ducky regarding this and I'm going to wait until I hear something from them, in the meantime I've already ordered another keyboard
honestly I'm a bit disappointed that it's even possible to flash a wrong keyboard with their tool and there was no failsafe
also the reason I flashed the new firmware was that the keyboard was double pressing some keys
looks really good though, even if the reliability is not what I had in mind
and I've had it for no more than a month

Offline jiuan

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 04:09:03 »
Hello, is there any new progress on this project? I really want to use qmk firmware on my ducky one 2 mini, but I can't find more information...