Author Topic: clicky Topre switches?  (Read 1268 times)

Offline mellow

clicky Topre switches?
« on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 13:07:49 »
My new Realforce R2 PFU TKL that arrived today makes a little clicking noise on some keys during the upward motion, is that normal?
There are also what i can only describe as little scratches on some keys that are visible from an angle and some very light white "coating" on some spots on the spacebar, is that due to construction or did it get scratched?

Offline biothermal

• Art
Re: clicky Topre switches?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 14:08:20 »
My new Realforce R2 PFU TKL that arrived today makes a little clicking noise on some keys during the upward motion, is that normal?
There are also what i can only describe as little scratches on some keys that are visible from an angle and some very light white "coating" on some spots on the spacebar, is that due to construction or did it get scratched?

Did you purchase the board new, or is it used?

In my experience when topre ages/is used heavily for a long time, the mechanism can sometimes develop a bit of a clicking but it's almost always fixable one way or another. As for the scratches/spots, pictures would help.

Offline mellow

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 14:22:39 »

Did you purchase the board new, or is it used?

In my experience when topre ages/is used heavily for a long time, the mechanism can sometimes develop a bit of a clicking but it's almost always fixable one way or another. As for the scratches/spots, pictures would help.

I bought it brand new. I searched around a little more and saw another thread on here that said topres can sometimes click when they are new because the spring gets stuck to the rubber on the upward motion and pushes against the PCB. It's supposed to fix itself after some time.. not sure if that will be the case. As for the scratches and discoloration, i attached a picture. You can see it on the side of the J pretty well, but it is really only from some angles, so i thought maybe it's due to construction of the PBT keycaps? I'd be thankful for any insight.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 15:54:10 »

Not sure what you mean by clicking...if you record a video of the sound that would be helpful.

It could be the spring getting stuck..but it shouldn't really be a click..

Offline mellow

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 16:13:58 »

Not sure what you mean by clicking...if you record a video of the sound that would be helpful.

It could be the spring getting stuck..but it shouldn't really be a click..

It sounds like the spring/it's very pingy and high pitched, almost like mx blues, but very toned down.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 April 2021, 16:44:37 by mellow »

Offline Riverman

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 18:28:44 »
You're not just hearing the normal Topre upstroke clack, are you?  The slider hits the top of the slider housing whenever you release a key unless you have a silenced model.

Offline mellow

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 20:13:34 »
You're not just hearing the normal Topre upstroke clack, are you?  The slider hits the top of the slider housing whenever you release a key unless you have a silenced model.
No, it's only on a few keys, there's a high pitched mx blues like ping/click + clack on the upward motion. I'll see if i can record it tomorrow.