Author Topic: What keyboard should i get?  (Read 1383 times)

Offline dean1011

What keyboard should i get?
« on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 08:10:22 »
i dont want to spend too much more then 30 aud, also i dont want led, rgb lights. I do prefer to have white keyboard with the outer keys being different colours. also i hear red switches are better so maybe with those as well, sorry for being so picky

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: What keyboard should i get?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 10:46:46 »
It's gonna be really hard to find a mechanical keyboard at 30aud, that's so cheap to the point where the only other options are cheap 10 dollar membrane keyboards, so that might be to much to ask in terms of everything you wanted.

The only boards I can find for under 30 are these mechanical keyboards from Kmart that I saw in a youtube video once. They have blue clicky switches and you can disable the rgb from what I'm aware

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/mini-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-43099771/

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/mechanical-backlit-gaming-keyboard-42959588/ (keep in mind this one is on clearance and originally is 39)

Reds as you describe are linear switches (where the keyswitch press is consistent from top to bottom) and linear switches are a preference thing that you will need to try in person to understand your preference completely so if you have a friend who owns a linear switch keyboard ask them to type on it but if you don't you can just jump in but you might not like them. Keep in mind some red switches may not be linear so you will need to check beforehand.

If you can I would say to save up like 150-180 aud (I know that might be a lot for you) and buy something like a Keychron K8 Pro (I know it's not white but it is good, and you could always buy something else that fits what you want). You pay a lot more for a lot better product, and it has linear, tactile or clicky switches but you made not be in the financial position to afford that, so there is always the keyboard at kmart.

hope this helps!

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 14:39:21 »
What you should do is save up your money so you can get a keyboard that you really enjoy instead of settling for something you might not like.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline silk186

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 09:01:03 »
For that price, you can get something OK from China. I've bought a few when I was trying different layouts and switches..

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 June 2023, 22:00:26 »
There are budget boards available on Amazon for more like $80- $100 AUD.  If you get a board for $30 you will likely not be happy with it and be discouraged with the whole hobby. 
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.