Author Topic: [GB] Alps DCS Infinity modifier kit (Over)  (Read 106474 times)

Offline zombimuncha

Re: [GB] Alps DCS Infinity modifier kit (Caps here?)
« Reply #400 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 05:45:51 »
cool. Thanks BW.
It's race between these and the Massdrop TaiHao's! Which will reach me first? Which will stay on my V80 the longest? Nobody knows!
Ha! I was just thinking that the timing of those two was fortuitous. Else, I'd have put the DCS modifiers on my Infinity with DSA blanks and possibly disrupted the keyboard space-time continuum.

I'm thinking this set combined with the "Olivette" will look pretty nice. Might need to white-vinyl-wrap the case for that tho...

Offline geniekid

Re: [GB] Alps DCS Infinity modifier kit (Shipping)
« Reply #401 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 17:50:24 »
Got my caps today!  Thanks for the Swedish fish and Nerds Badwrench ;D

Pictures to follow tomorrow.

EDIT:  Of the key caps.  The fish are already gone and the Nerds are disappearing as I type this.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #402 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 17:52:24 »
YEEEE THEY'RE COMING

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #403 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 17:53:14 »
Candy? There's candy?

MAILMAN WHERE U AT BRO

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #404 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 18:54:22 »
Candy? There's candy?

MAILMAN WHERE U AT BRO

Only some got candy.  I kept throwing some at Badwrench's kid to get her all jacked up on sugar and like me...that and I ate a bag when Badwrench turned his back.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #405 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 19:08:51 »
Candy? There's candy?

MAILMAN WHERE U AT BRO

Only some got candy.  I kept throwing some at Badwrench's kid to get her all jacked up on sugar and like me...that and I ate a bag when Badwrench turned his back.

She woke up the next morning and walked straight to the stairs saying your name.  The candy must have worked. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #406 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 19:23:07 »
Candy? There's candy?

MAILMAN WHERE U AT BRO

She woke up the next morning and walked straight to the stairs saying your name.  The candy must have worked.
"Uncle Nubbinator! Uncle Nubbinator! Where are you?"

Nubs if I don't get some candy Imma be ticked off.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #407 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 19:24:26 »
More
Candy? There's candy?

MAILMAN WHERE U AT BRO

"Uncle Nubbinator! Uncle Nubbinator! Where are you?"

Nubs if I don't get some candy Imma be ticked off.

Oh, you'll get some sugar  ;)

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #408 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 11:13:43 »
They're here!

Check it out, yo. Those are the Tai Hao doubleshots from Massdrop on the alphas. The legends are Cherry-ish enough that it completes the look quite nicely. The spacebar is the original DSA PBT spacebar from the Infinity kit. Not yet having a white/gray/beige spacebar is the main reason why I went with white on black for the alphas.

The profiles are slightly different, but nowhere near as big a deal as I had imagined.

This candy didn't stand a chance.

I'm so psyched that I can finally use my Infinity keyboard! Thanks so much, Badwrench, for blazing a trail forward to Alps goodness!!!

My boards:
More

Offline geniekid

« Reply #409 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 17:48:22 »
Non-cherry mods with alphas from an old FK-2001.  Spacebar is from a Dell AT101W and is poorly stabilized.  Very pretty, no?!

112578-0

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #410 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 17:50:52 »
Non-cherry mods with alphas from an old FK-2001.  Spacebar is from a Dell AT101W and is poorly stabilized.  Very pretty, no?!

(Attachment Link)
Very nice. I wish I had some oldschool beige caps to use with these.

My boards:
More

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #411 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 18:50:18 »
They look awesome! Had some damage pulling the Massdrop DSA off (stems stuck in two switches, three switches pulled to the point of not working) but am getting these on this weekend. Thank you, Badwrench!

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #412 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 18:57:03 »
They look awesome! Had some damage pulling the Massdrop DSA off (stems stuck in two switches, three switches pulled to the point of not working) but am getting these on this weekend. Thank you, Badwrench!
Those DSA blanks are brutal. It doesn't help that the Infinity plates are too thick for Alps switches to properly clip into place (this is not an issue with Cherry switches). When I first removed them I irreparably broke two Matias switches. Had to buy replacements from mechanicalkeyboards.com.

My boards:
More

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #413 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 19:05:15 »

Well, now that you have a few that don't work, use one of those to mount all of these at least once.  Once you have mounted these once and pulled them off, the next time is much easier.  That first time basically takes any flashing or irregularities off the stem and allows you to mount and remove them much better. 

Offline geniekid

« Reply #414 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 19:05:50 »
Those DSA blanks are brutal. It doesn't help that the Infinity plates are too thick for Alps switches to properly clip into place (this is not an issue with Cherry switches). When I first removed them I irreparably broke two Matias switches. Had to buy replacements from mechanicalkeyboards.com.

Pretty much why I'm in BlueNalgene's GB.  The Infinity is great but there's definitely room for improvement.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #415 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 19:36:53 »

Pretty much why I'm in BlueNalgene's GB.  The Infinity is great but there's definitely room for improvement.
Wow. I wasn't aware of this. I was hoping the Infinity would get another drop so I could try Matias Alps, but this sounds like Infinity 2.0.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #416 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 19:39:41 »

Wow. I wasn't aware of this. I was hoping the Infinity would get another drop so I could try Matias Alps, but this sounds like Infinity 2.0.
Infinity is not a bad MX board, mechanically. But the Alps bit is kind of an afterthought. Firmware-wise, I'd rather have hasu's TMK over anything else, so Alps Party is a no-brainer.

My boards:
More

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #417 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 19:43:13 »

Infinity is not a bad MX board, mechanically. But the Alps bit is kind of an afterthought. Firmware-wise, I'd rather have hasu's TMK over anything else, so Alps Party is a no-brainer.
Cool; I may have to join this, wallet permitting. If and when the Infinity ever comes back, I'll opt for MX switches on it.

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #418 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 21:44:41 »
Well, now that you have a few that don't work, use one of those to mount all of these at least once.  Once you have mounted these once and pulled them off, the next time is much easier.  That first time basically takes any flashing or irregularities off the stem and allows you to mount and remove them much better.
Thanks for the tip!

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #419 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 07:14:35 »
OK, so I've ordered some filco/cherry stab inserts. What about the stab wires? I don't have a bunch of old keyboards lying around to scavenge from, and don't exactly want to risk damage to my original (alps style) wires by bending them up. Do I need to buy some wire and a wire-bender tool, or has someone got the hook-up for me?

Offline getf

• In Rod We Trust
« Reply #420 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 09:51:38 »
Thanks for putting this awesome group buy together Badwrench.   :thumb:

Although I do no own an infinity, I appreciate you including the standard right shift and backspace.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #421 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 12:07:00 »

Although I do no own an infinity, I appreciate you including the standard right shift and backspace.

Show Image

Show Image

What board is that? A v60?

My boards:
More

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #422 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 13:17:11 »

Show Image

Show Image

This is exactly what i was planning as well. Cyrillic with these mods. Looking good. :thumb:
What board did you get them from?
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline scubaste

« Reply #423 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 14:37:30 »

Show Image

Show Image

This is exactly what i was planning as well. Cyrillic with these mods. Looking good. :thumb:
What board did you get them from?

Looking good! I too would like to know where the Cyrillic alphas came from .

Offline getf

• In Rod We Trust
« Reply #424 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 18:00:44 »

Show Image

Show Image

What board is that? A v60?

Matias V60 QC

And to the other two people who asked, the keyboad is a Tai Hao Clicker 21

Keycaps are in Bulgarian language. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 October 2015, 19:06:41 by getf »

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #425 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 22:57:38 »
I received my set today! Thank you Badwrench for everything and thank you Nubz for not eating the lollipop first :p

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: [GB] Alps DCS Infinity modifier kit
« Reply #426 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 23:43:46 »
Tempting...

This could look really nice with these:
Show Image

Super nice alphas. Thank you for sharing.

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #427 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 10:42:19 »
I just saw my email for shipping funds, paid!
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #428 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 12:44:34 »
NVM
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline newc303

« Reply #429 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 22:32:36 »
Does anyone have tips on removing the DSA caps off of the board? They are so stuck on I feel like I'm about to pull the switch out of the board :(

Offline manofinterests

• Manofinterests Youtube
« Reply #430 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 22:56:41 »
This is how mine turned out! Great Groupbuy! I'm really happy with how these turned out :)

https://imgur.com/a/9trzM

Offline E3E

« Reply #431 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 23:01:30 »
This is how mine turned out! Great Groupbuy! I'm really happy with how these turned out :)

https://imgur.com/a/9trzM

I love how you spread these caps throughout the various boards, haha

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #432 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 11:10:21 »
Got my caps in today! Thanks Badwrench!

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #433 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 11:17:50 »
Does anyone have tips on removing the DSA caps off of the board? They are so stuck on I feel like I'm about to pull the switch out of the board :(

Sorry, I would recommend just being gentle.  Probably get some pressure straight up and then add a tiny wiggle from left to right while maintaining upward force.  Having just pulled the stem out of an mx switch, I know how you fell. 

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #434 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 11:20:26 »
I broke two Matias switches when I first removed those DSA caps. I had to buy replacements from mechanicalkeyboards.com. From them on I decided I was not going to put them back on, and my Infinity sat unused until these babies arrived.

My boards:
More

Offline E3E

« Reply #435 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 11:50:48 »
I broke two Matias switches when I first removed those DSA caps. I had to buy replacements from mechanicalkeyboards.com. From them on I decided I was not going to put them back on, and my Infinity sat unused until these babies arrived.

How was the typing feel on them, my good man? Was it worth it compared to ABS in your opinion? I'm still not sure how I feel about the difference, but it seems pretty negligible. I'm planning a blacked out alps keyboard soon, so I might hit you up for those caps!

Er, though Last Pilot's graphite replica buy will be something that might fit well too!

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #436 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 12:07:29 »

How was the typing feel on them, my good man? Was it worth it compared to ABS in your opinion? I'm still not sure how I feel about the difference, but it seems pretty negligible. I'm planning a blacked out alps keyboard soon, so I might hit you up for those caps!

Er, though Last Pilot's graphite replica buy will be something that might fit well too!
I like the feel of PBT but I don't like the DSA profile. If you can use the caps with their oddball sizes though, they're yours.

Just remind me around the time Alpine Winter ships and I'll throw them in with your order.

My boards:
More

Offline scubaste

« Reply #437 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 17:48:15 »
Infinity with HHKB layout in a Tex aluminum case. Dell AT101W alphas. I still need a HHKB sized spacebar to get the bottom row right. I might mod this one if I get the time. I'm also considering making some switch blockers or maybe just getting silver vinyl to clean it up.

Taobao Olivette alphas. No HHKB spacebar support so funky bottom row again.

Loving the mods though. This infinity is finally getting some use.  :thumb:
Thanks again for bringing these to us Badwrench!

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #438 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:01:24 »
Infinity with HHKB layout in a Tex aluminum case. Dell AT101W alphas. I still need a HHKB sized spacebar to get the bottom row right. I might mod this one if I get the time. I'm also considering making some switch blockers or maybe just getting silver vinyl to clean it up.

Show Image

Show Image

Taobao Olivette alphas. No HHKB spacebar support so funky bottom row again.

Show Image

Loving the mods though. This infinity is finally getting some use.  :thumb:
Thanks again for bringing these to us Badwrench!
I didn't realize you could "fake" the 6.25 spacebar by using smaller mods like that. Pretty clever!

I would just use it as-is until Alpine Winter gets there.

My boards:
More

Offline E3E

« Reply #439 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:05:23 »

I like the feel of PBT but I don't like the DSA profile. If you can use the caps with their oddball sizes though, they're yours.

Just remind me around the time Alpine Winter ships and I'll throw them in with your order.

Oh snap! I appreciate the generosity! Thanks, njbair.  I've never typed on DSA before, so it'd be an interesting experience to be sure. Aside from the 6u spacebar, everything else should fit. I'll chime in when Alpine Winter gets to that point.  :thumb:

Offline braidn

« Reply #440 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 20:06:01 »
Super curious if there are any extras that were made? Or perhaps someone bought one too many and they wanted to get rid of a set? Love the glider symbol to death.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #441 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 20:21:57 »
Super curious if there are any extras that were made? Or perhaps someone bought one too many and they wanted to get rid of a set? Love the glider symbol to death.

Sorry, there were no extras made. 

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #442 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 20:43:21 »
I'm running a full 60% set GB right now, although no glider caps. Check my sig if interested.

My boards:
More

Offline braidn

« Reply #443 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 21:55:33 »
I'm running a full 60% set GB right now, although no glider caps. Check my sig if interested.

Most definitely in on the Winter Alps set. Just trying to see if there were any modifier extras to go along with a Tai-Hao set while I wait for your ship to arrive in December. Looking to get an Infinity based Hasu powered Alps board up and typable before December. Thanks though.

Offline E3E

« Reply #444 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 05:34:12 »
Nevermind!
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2015, 07:14:36 by E3E »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #445 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 07:58:30 »
Was everything shipped at the same time? My PO has recently done a horrible job at leaving me those little pink notes. Sometimes they have stuff waiting for me at the office that I don't know about.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #446 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 10:19:00 »
Was everything shipped at the same time? My PO has recently done a horrible job at leaving me those little pink notes. Sometimes they have stuff waiting for me at the office that I don't know about.
More or less over a couple days other than international. 

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #447 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 13:39:15 »
All but 2 orders have shipped as of today  :thumb:

Just waiting for 2 more international payments and we will be done.  No rush to you 2 that haven't paid for shipping.  I have your sets packed and ready.  Pay when you are able and they will go in the mail.

Thank you everyone for making this buy happen. 

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #448 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 15:23:27 »
All but 2 orders have shipped as of today  :thumb:

Just waiting for 2 more international payments and we will be done.  No rush to you 2 that haven't paid for shipping.  I have your sets packed and ready.  Pay when you are able and they will go in the mail.

Thank you everyone for making this buy happen.

Thank you for organizing it and dealing with any issues that arose.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline geniekid

« Reply #449 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 15:39:44 »