Author Topic: Why do keyboarders in general tend to prefer click and tactile over linear?  (Read 4332 times)

Offline whyarentfilcobacklit

I'm not a gamer, but I by far prefer linear switches for everything.

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
Re: Why do keyboarders in general tend to prefer click and tactile over linear?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 11:45:16 »
I find the word "keyboarder" amusing here. Imagine a keyboarder concert with beamspring keys. I'd buy the vinyls.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline nachie

• KapCave
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 15:32:03 »
Well its all preference. I thick clicky/tactile is what most new people think is "mechanical". I started out with clickies as well, but moved on to tactiles real soon. Even exploring linears now, and wondering why did I not do this earlier :)
AHKB | GSKT-00 | Arya | Båge | Paladin64

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 15:39:30 »
Entirely preference tbh. I started with mx reds, then bought an at101 and FK-2001 and loved those. After a while I wanted something different and got a Ducky shine 3 with mx greens and sold the mx red board. Used the Ducky for years before deciding to get back into keyboards again and now I have 10+ and I hate linears...but started loving them.

People change and so do their preference of switches, and after a while you realize what you like in board. For me I like clicky and really nice tactile switches, beamspring and clicky black space invaders are my favorite clickies atm and brown alps is my favorite tactile(have to just use salmon and orange because I can't afford to have the browns that I really prefer).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 17:30:29 »
I think that touch typists want some form of feedback so that they can know how much effort and travel is required. Most tactile switches activate at or very near their tactile points, so if you have a light touch you will know when to move on without any need or desire for bottoming out.

My son is a gamer and he really likes linear black MX with O-rings, hysteresis is probably a big problem in gaming.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 19:03:16 »
I'm not a gamer, but I by far prefer linear switches for everything.
Maybe it's not a matter of more of them, it could just be that tactile and clicky is more specialized.
There's not a lot of variation between linear switches, you can argue over which is more smooth and spring rates, but that's about it. Not a lot to discuss really.

Compare that to tactile/clicky where you now have sound, where it clicks and how it clicks on top of the same concerns for linear.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 20:07:16 »
There's just something satisfying about pressing a button that tells you "Hey buddy I've been pressed, great job!"

Offline Altis

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 20:42:58 »
Well its all preference. I thick clicky/tactile is what most new people think is "mechanical". I started out with clickies as well, but moved on to tactiles real soon. Even exploring linears now, and wondering why did I not do this earlier :)

Pretty much this... they're the most 'exciting' type of switch, the most different. It's the full package of feel and sound.

It's where many people start. There's also likely some nostalgia for people who experienced a time when clicky/tactile keyboards were the norm.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline zslane

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 11:34:30 »
I started out using MX Reds because I figured they were going to feel the most like the keyboards I grew up with (Microswitch HE). But then I tried Topre and I was hooked. I just like the feel of their pillowy tactility. It's sort of addictive. But I've never really liked clicky switches, mostly because I don't like noise when I type.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 11:43:00 »
I find the word "keyboarder" amusing here. Imagine a keyboarder concert with beamspring keys. I'd buy the vinyls.

It brought to mind for me the word surfboarder  :cool:

There's just something satisfying about pressing a button that tells you "Hey buddy I've been pressed, great job!"

This pretty much sums it up for me.

Offline MightyJabba

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 12:19:43 »
It's entirely personal preference. I reject the idea that particular switches are only good for certain things. I am leaning toward linears now because I find clicky switches kind of distracting, and haven't really had a chance to try the higher-end tactiles, but I also like mixing it up from time to time.

Offline Entropia

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 11:26:02 »
I love the MX Blacks on my Leopold. They are smooth and have a nice sound. The typing on linears feels more relaxing, more fluid and peaceful. Maybe I'm growing old...

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 11:38:51 »
bad tactiles are better to type on than bad linears
good linears are the best

Offline jamster

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 19:55:01 »
This is like saying why do most 'keyboarders' prefer RGB lighting on their keyboards.

And the answer is the same: Do they?

My own preference is tactile, but if I could somehow magically eliminate the click from my Model Ms, that would be amazing.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 September 2018, 03:28:04 by jamster »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 21:28:38 »
I like linears for playing games but not for typing. For some reason, linears just wear my fingers out, even if they're the same weight as a clicky or tactile switch. It's also easier for me to "get lost" in typing because I can't feel/hear when the key has been pressed; it's an odd feeling that I'd also describe as "loose" where I feel as if I'm getting ahead of myself when typing and can't keep track of which letter I'm on.

I have experimented with very heavy linears, and the typing experience seems to be better because it's harder to bottom them out. The problem is that I went a little too heavy with 100g springs. Maybe something like 85g would be perfect. But, as others have noted, linears are boring because nothing special happens when they're pressed; it's basically just a matter of smoothness.

Good clickies are my favorite because they have sound, tactility, and sometimes hysteresis. Those properties also change a lot with different keycaps, cases, and plates (they seem to differ the most when these variables are changed). Clickies also don't need lube at least in my experience; lubing is a painfully tedious task. Buckling Spring and Box Navies are the best I've tried. The problem is that I feel restricted to using them at home since I no longer have a private office at work.

Tactiles are good too, but slightly less interesting to me in most cases. I think most tactiles aren't very tactile. Zealios are decent, and Box Royals are great.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.