Author Topic: to which layout should I switch (getting the ErgoDOX)  (Read 3855 times)

Offline Phenix

to which layout should I switch (getting the ErgoDOX)
« on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 17:43:13 »
Hi.
Im about getting the Ergodox (falbatech, ~100€ - keycaps and switches separatly)
switches: Zealio 62g mx red spring

SO should I switch my layout (currently its ISO) to Colemak, Dvorak etc!?
I read its better cause it's a different keyboard design so most likely 2x muscle memory)
Which would you recommend? Any disadvantages!?

Is it possible to use ErgoDOX as main and others (like Novatouch/Model M) from time to time? (again muscle memory, if no idea about :eek:)
Winter is coming.

Offline domsch1988

Re: to which layout should I switch (getting the ErgoDOX)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 01:19:01 »
I also switched to a column stagger recently. After trying to get the qwerty layout to work, i lust switched to Dvorak. If you ever want to switch, the new keyboard is probably the best opportunity to do so  :thumb:
For me personally its always all or nothing. So like when quitting smoking or changing my eating habits, i switch and never go back. I don't allow myself to slip ever. If i would, bad habits would slowly come back... But thats my personal thing.  ;)
What ever you decide to do, make sure to keep me updated on your progress  :thumb:

Offline Phenix

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 02:51:57 »
I will, but it will last some time.. First awaiting the switches (and ordering if no one in Germany needs some (want to split up shipping costs)

But Im also unsure if I should get the ErgoDOX or a B.mini x2 (whitefox layout with F keys)..

I read many good about each of them ;)
Winter is coming.

Offline vvp

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 03:57:43 »
Is it possible to use ErgoDOX as main and others (like Novatouch/Model M) from time to time? (again muscle memory, if no idea about :eek:)
It is not a problem to remember more layouts for touch typing.

Offline vvp

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 04:00:29 »
I will, but it will last some time.. First awaiting the switches (and ordering if no one in Germany needs some (want to split up shipping costs)
7bit on deskthority has cheap shipping and he ships from Berlin. Though his CherryMX switches are not that cheap compared e.g. to Gateron.
Edit: If ordering from 7bit, then order only what he has in stock. Otherwise you can wait more than a year till it arrives :)

Offline Phenix

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 07:41:13 »
does he sell zealios???
Still unsure which layout to use
Winter is coming.

Offline vvp

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 10:45:55 »
He did not have Zealios about 6 month ago (which is about the last time I asked for his stock info). Well, probably. I do not really sure now. I'm not interested in switches which are so expensive. You can ask about stock by sending private message WASSUP to his CherryMX bot (for switches) or 7bot (for keycaps).

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 10:59:47 »
I don't think there are many zealios anywhere right now.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)