Author Topic: "gaming" switch?  (Read 5874 times)

Offline Weltschmerz

"gaming" switch?
« on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 07:00:51 »
After getting back into TF2, and waiting to start my new job, I have found that I've been playing games for long bouts daily. Talking massive depression I have nothing to do, might as well play games for 6-8 hours on end bouts. I've noticed that my 67g lubed MX clears are making my hand hurt just a bit, and from what I understand, a lot of people prefer linears for gaming. So I guess what I want to ask you guys is, what switch do you prefer when gaming, and why? I usually love my clears, but for extended gaming sessions I don't know if I want my gaming hand to be a bit sore and stiff. Cheers  ;D

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
Re: "gaming" switch?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 07:20:20 »
Ultimately, whatever you are happy with is what you will perform best with. I suspect you are looking for either 62G or 65G springs based on what you've written.

My preference for the past few years has been mx, linear, and light via my mx reds. While I can type very quickly on this switch, it isn't a particularly enjoyable experience, but it's great for extended gaming sessions - it would be 60G.

Depending on what you play, bottom out can essentially be guaranteed, so if you are constantly holding down modifiers, that can become a concern pretty quickly. I also like the ability to ride activation(/actuation) point for certain games.

I've also found Topre works fine for gaming now that I've had more experience with it through the HHKB Pro 2 and 104UB-KB45S since actuation is relatively easy (without being overly so) and resistance essentially collapses with the dome right after the tactile point.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 08:36:29 »
Hmm... Thank you! I'm probably going to be going for a 62g (either linear or clicky, can't really decide let, leaning towards clicky) Zealio switch on my next mx board. That will be a while from now though, and I'm not that interested in doing a spring swap on my keyboard, don't have the means to do it right now.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 08:38:28 »
Hmm... Thank you! I'm probably going to be going for a 62g (either linear or clicky, can't really decide let, leaning towards clicky) Zealio switch on my next mx board. That will be a while from now though, and I'm not that interested in doing a spring swap on my keyboard, don't have the means to do it right now.

Unfortunately there are no clicky Zealios switches at the moment. It was not feasible production in its current form.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 08:39:03 »

you can go lower :)

Offline Lokomotivet

• (⌐■_■)
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 08:50:46 »
Some stores have switch testers or keyboards that you can try out before you buy/make up your mind.
And as for what switch is best for "gaming" is all up to you! Most people play games with MX brown or MX red.
| ISO |

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 09:08:06 »

Unfortunately there are no clicky Zealios switches at the moment. It was not feasible production in its current form.

Not feasible in the sense that there was not enough interest or in the exact way that the switches are produced? Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question  :-[

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 09:10:24 »

you can go lower :)

I don't know if I'm ready for it... and I've tried my friends MX blues and they were far too light for my taste...

Some stores have switch testers or keyboards that you can try out before you buy/make up your mind.
And as for what switch is best for "gaming" is all up to you! Most people play games with MX brown or MX red.

I've tried the keyboard that's a bunch of different switches at microcenter, and honestly, wasn't impressed by any of the standard mx switches that were on there. Of course it was just blue, red, brown, black... so I'm not surprised haha.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 10:20:16 »

Not feasible in the sense that there was not enough interest or in the exact way that the switches are produced? Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question  :-[

The official answer (and thread!)
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 10:33:14 »
Ignore me I relate

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 15:44:20 »
Give Romer-g a shot. Logitech makes a TKL version and they're coming out soon with a "normal" looking full keyboard with romer-g as well.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 02:23:34 »
i actually use my hhkb (stock 45g) for gaming, including tf2.
first of all, 60% is pretty much a must for me when gaming. if i use TKL or bigger i will slam my mouse into my keyboard. i'm actually considering trying to get used to gaming with a full-sized on my lap rather than having a keyboard on my desk..
anyway, 45g topre is not tiring (to me), i get no accidental presses, there's no 'pain' when bottoming out (as opposed to using MX Reds for an extended time), the type-s variant is nicely quiet when using a mic or/and open headphones, and the switches feel nice. i don't see myself changing any time soon.
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 02:49:11 »
Romer G. You'll think me later. Shorter travel is perfect for gaming.