Author Topic: 1Key - a single key mechanical keyboard.... because why not  (Read 13531 times)

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
1Key - a single key mechanical keyboard.... because why not
« on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 23:12:20 »
As the title says i'm on a mission to be the owner of the smallest mechanical keyboard ever created! (as far as i know)

the goal is to make a mech keyboard as small as possible to house a single key (MX/Alps compatible)

rev1 will be hand wired because prototypes.

rev2 will be full PCB (if it ever gets to that point) i mean a single key keyboard is kinda silly but its fun none the less.

things to do....

controller... ATMega AVR ?
Software... TMK QMK Arduino native?
case... not sure yet but metal is likely due to the nature of the keyboard its self. if its too light it will just flop all over.
wired or bluetooth.... its going to be wired because i haven't got to wireless yet... rev3?

i'll do some renders keep your pants on

143500-0
discuss
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 July 2016, 23:50:06 by mrbishop »
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline QuincyJones

Re: 1Key - a single key mechanical keyboard.... because why not
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 23:16:54 »
go have a cold shower instead.
SENT FROM MY TRKA-100-ULTRA-PRO-1R WITH FLASHY MULTI-COLOURED LEDS FOR MEGA ULTRA COOLNESS
(please like me)

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 23:19:57 »
i....ermm....nvm
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 23:26:06 »
ok so here's where this even came from.

i have a nice Alps vintage keyboard which i received from a member of the community.

it has no windows key (i use this as part of hot key functions inside windows.... ALOT)

so i need a windows key..... and i like to make things so  :p

its going to be a fun silly project. very much a why not sort of thing!
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 02:11:34 »
If you want the title of smallest you need to beat this - all I can say is good luck!

I guess you could use a Cherry ML to make it shorter :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 05:40:04 »
Have you encounter the Enabler? http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/the-enabler

Might make a good base to save having to hard-wire ir.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 06:41:56 »
If you want the title of smallest you need to beat this - all I can say is good luck!

I guess you could use a Cherry ML to make it shorter :))
Damn keys witch one beat me to it.

sent from my chess board

Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 06:47:46 »
Have you encounter the Enabler? http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/the-enabler

Might make a good base to save having to hard-wire ir.
Yes I have but it would be 2 wires to solder so not that bad. I got the idea from the enabler tho.

sent from my chess board

Projects

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 07:23:47 »
if you're going to use a freely available font in your 'logo' choose one which isn't so glaringly easy to spot. it looks tacky!
SENT FROM MY TRKA-100-ULTRA-PRO-1R WITH FLASHY MULTI-COLOURED LEDS FOR MEGA ULTRA COOLNESS
(please like me)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 07:28:15 »
This is a cool project but just to float it out there, TechKeys did a 1 key keyboard a year or two ago.

Edit: Just realized I misread. People were saying smallest not who was first to do this. But regardless, the Techkeys example is a proven product that's a one-key keyboard so I'll leave it up. PS: Carbon Fiber is cool :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 July 2016, 07:29:50 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Data

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 08:25:21 »
if you're going to use a freely available font in your 'logo' choose one which isn't so glaringly easy to spot. it looks tacky!

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 08:37:12 »
well looks like i missed the boat on being the first but i'd like to tinker with it regardless.

thanks for all the positive support guys i'm hoping this project helps me better understand some things and a single key keyboard is novel, and a fun conversation starter :)

CPT i always appreciate your support.

Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 08:47:35 »

hey Quincy. if i offended you or upset you in some way i apologize. but if you don't like the project continuing to post in the tread is trolling and i don't fee trolls. you are more than welcome to continue to post but unless its constructive i wont be responding.  :thumb:

i thought this would be a fun project the community might get a chuckle out of not poke fun at. YES i was wrong, the one key keyboard has been done before. so what. i'm going to do my own. go me. why? because i can, the best reason to do anything.

have a super smashing awesome day m8.

*drops mic* :cool:
Projects

Offline Rhedone

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 08:06:11 »
You should get a sculpted bishop keycap for that thing. If you're going to do it go all the way i feel ;)

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 10:16:19 »
hey, just dropping some constructive truth bombs which years of experience has taught me.

it's ok, you there with your mic to drop; ignore them, i really don't mind. there are many 'yes' men who will appease you which you can gravitate to instead. not many people will tell you about, for example, the fonts, but instead will just turn you away and then proceed to laugh about you behind your back and reputation ruined.

don't ask for opinions if you only want "OMG U R SO COOL" answers.

hey Quincy. if i offended you or upset you in some way i apologize. but if you don't like the project continuing to post in the tread is trolling and i don't fee trolls. you are more than welcome to continue to post but unless its constructive i wont be responding.  :thumb:

i thought this would be a fun project the community might get a chuckle out of not poke fun at. YES i was wrong, the one key keyboard has been done before. so what. i'm going to do my own. go me. why? because i can, the best reason to do anything.

have a super smashing awesome day m8.

*drops mic* :cool:
(please like me)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 10:33:25 »
hey, just dropping some constructive truth bombs which years of experience has taught me.

it's ok, you there with your mic to drop; ignore them, i really don't mind. there are many 'yes' men who will appease you which you can gravitate to instead. not many people will tell you about, for example, the fonts, but instead will just turn you away and then proceed to laugh about you behind your back and reputation ruined.

I guess the problem with the application of your opinion is that it was very specifically non-helpful.  Then you offered an opion on the logo, that he wasn't asking for feedback on.  But hey, that's the opinion of a non-involved party.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 11:08:18 »

I guess the problem with the application of your opinion is that it was very specifically non-helpful.  Then you offered an opion on the logo, that he wasn't asking for feedback on.  But hey, that's the opinion of a non-involved party.

well over all i'm really confused on where all this came from. the thread isn't even about my logo. its about a keyboard with one key. either way i like my logo. yeah perhaps its abit large in my sig but no one has PM'd me and made mention of that before. which would have been a better way to to about it.
Projects

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 14:54:30 »

well over all i'm really confused on where all this came from. the thread isn't even about my logo. its about a keyboard with one key. either way i like my logo. yeah perhaps its abit large in my sig but no one has PM'd me and made mention of that before. which would have been a better way to to about it.

I think the troll's had enough for now :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 15:01:12 »

I think the troll's had enough for now :thumb:

;)
Projects

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 06:22:55 »
 :) ;) :D ;D :( :p :thumb:
(please like me)

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 09:18:11 »
This had better be NKRO or it's basically useless tbh \s.

Seriously, renders look nice, I always love some brushed aluminium (see profile picture). I would consider embedding a weak magnet in the chassis so it would weakly attach to the 'main' keyboard for convenience... that is if there's metal on the main keyboard for it to attach to. You'd also have to make sure the magnet didn't mess up the operation / feel of the switch somehow but I digress! Interested to see where this goes anyhow.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 21:43:33 »
This had better be NKRO or it's basically useless tbh \s.

Seriously, renders look nice, I always love some brushed aluminium (see profile picture). I would consider embedding a weak magnet in the chassis so it would weakly attach to the 'main' keyboard for convenience... that is if there's metal on the main keyboard for it to attach to. You'd also have to make sure the magnet didn't mess up the operation / feel of the switch somehow but I digress! Interested to see where this goes anyhow.

True, where n = 1.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ