Author Topic: Is lubing each switch individually really worth the time?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Encabulator

Is lubing each switch individually really worth the time?
« on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 00:19:26 »
I currently have 2 keyboards (Corsair K95 Cherry reds, Magicforce 68 Outemu blacks) Along with a Used Rosewill 100% with cherry blues currently being sent to me.  I have done some lazy lubrication jobs on my wire frames that I'm not proud of but I was thinking of completely lubing a keyboard + using thick pbt keycaps
With foam landing pads for a silky smooth sound.  What type of lube should I be using for what parts? [All the research h so have done leads me to super expensive oils.] How should I apply the lube? Are there any precautions I should take to prevent the inventible destruction of my switches? Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
relax bro.. no one will bite ur head off on geekhack.. this is not that kind of community...   hahahahahahaha

Though tp4 will personally chew you out if you start selling $60 orings.

Offline zpcomstock17

Re: Is lubing each switch individually really worth the time?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 01:56:03 »
Are you desoldering the switches in order to lube them?

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 02:08:42 »
I don't really like to lube my switches. I found that just using the keyboard over time the switches will smooth out as the plastic parts grind against eachother. Lubing can prevent the switch from naturally breaking in.

The only other benefit to lubing as you mentioned is you do get a slightly nicer/softer sound out of it which is indeed quite pleasant, but not really worth desoldering all of the switches.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 02:27:16 »
For all of those boards, you will need to de-solder in order to lube them. I would recommend getting a custom board with a Switch top removable plate. The initial cost may seem high at first but you will love the experience. I spent $135.00 on my first custom (actually about to sell it for the same amount) and it opened up a whole new world in MK's. Tuning switches (lubing, spring swapping, stem swapping) has become my favorite part of the hobby.

Oh and YES, lubing each switch is very worth it :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 March 2017, 03:06:32 by ArchDill »

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 03:03:18 »
I lube my first board last week and it was worth it. Do it!