Author Topic: Bringing a broken keyboard back to life  (Read 2099 times)

Offline AGmurdercore

Bringing a broken keyboard back to life
« on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 07:08:44 »
Hey guys! Recently I purchased a broken QPAD keyboard off of ebay and I kinda felt in love with it (it has nice features and the design is something that I like). Since it completely dead I was wondering what options I have of resurrecting it? I assume that replacing the (I just assume that this is the faulty party) processor of the keyboard wont be possible due to many reasons so I was thinking that maybe just using the PCB (somehow?!) and getting a new chip for the keyboard (teensy maybe?) might be the only option?

I am open to any suggestions and insight on what I can to bring this board back to life one way or another.
What the hell am I even doing

Offline Findecanor

Re: Bringing a broken keyboard back to life
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 07:23:38 »
Open it up and take a look!

If you're lucky it could be just a connector that has got knocked out of position or a cold solder joint. Maybe the previous owner yanked on the cable too hard and a wire from the cable broke at the PCB.
Those are some of the most common reasons why keyboards fail, and easily fixed without having to replace the controller.
That, and spilled liquids. But you'd notice if the latter is the case.

Offline piit79

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 08:20:35 »
Replacing the on-board controller with a Teensy or even a QMK Proton-C should be possible. You would just have to figure out how is the keyboard matrix configured - rows / columns and diode direction. Then you would have to find the row/column traces, cut them at the faulty controller and re-attach (handwire) them to the new controller.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 09:11:40 »
Is this the QPAD keyboard you are talking about, https://qpad.com/product/mk40/? If so I'd honestly say it's really not worth all the time & effort to bring it back to life unless it is something as simple as a loose wire inside. If it is something else that is a true mechanical KB just ignore my comment.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 14:04:22 »
QPad has mechanical keyboards too, with Cherry MX key switches.
They were probably designed and manufactured by iOne considering how similar QPad and iOne keyboards look.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 October 2019, 14:05:56 by Findecanor »