Author Topic: Idiot needs Guide to working with POS keyboards  (Read 1199 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Idiot needs Guide to working with POS keyboards
« on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 21:20:18 »
The idiot is me, Gutz, who has such bad luck with keyboards that once a Model F spacebar fell out just because I turned over the keyboard.

I am planning on working with a POS to test out layout ideas.

Not having done anything like that before, I need to consult the collective wisdom of geeks.

To do that, I've figured I need a POS, hook it up to a teensy, identify each individual position in the matrix and do my programming from there. Am I right?

What kind of soarer code do I need?

And also please give me advice on buying a POS. I would prefer Cherry MX PCB mounted so that I can make all the switches clears without dangerous soldering (*my soldering is dangerous because I suck at it). After all, part of my layout experiment is intended to create a keyboard with incredible usability - type maximum things for minimum movement of fingers and hands - so I definitely want the POS to be comfortable for normal usage. EG not too big, not too small, around 6x15 in size, not too expensive, etc.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Idiot needs Guide to working with POS keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 22:32:19 »
I wrote a guide on access-IS a while ago:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38365.msg742153#msg742153

Offline jacobolus

Re: Idiot needs Guide to working with POS keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 22:51:43 »
The other thing you could do is make a prototype plate out of some heavy card stock type material http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52461 and then use direct wiring, and a Teensy with some firmware like hasu's tmk_keyboard code.