Author Topic: Help painting plate  (Read 2894 times)

Offline adventurepoop

• I make keyboards, I guess.
Help painting plate
« on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 18:37:53 »
I have a plate salvaged from some keyboard or another. It seems to have a layer of tan paint on it, and I want to paint it black. What would be the best way to do this? I figure I would have to sand off the old paint first. Is plasti dip an option? thanks!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Help painting plate
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 18:55:21 »
I have a plate salvaged from some keyboard or another. It seems to have a layer of tan paint on it, and I want to paint it black. What would be the best way to do this? I figure I would have to sand off the old paint first. Is plasti dip an option? thanks!

No idea what "plate" refers to in this context, because I mostly work with ancient IBM iron and old-school Alps, but roughing it up a bit with sandpaper and cleaning it well is probably plenty of prep. I swear by Rustoleum paint, but some people love Krylon.

Apply several very thin coats. Save the plasti-coat for things that get a lot of handling.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 19:05:44 »
Save the plasti-coat for things that get a lot of handling.

In my experience, plastidip doesn't hold up well.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 19:19:56 »
Yeah, I've painted quite a few plates now, and I always use Krylon. I always sand it with 80-grit sandpaper to prep. Just do several thin costs, allowing like 15-20 minutes between coats. Then let it dry for 24-48 hours before mounting any switches or stabilizers.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline adventurepoop

• I make keyboards, I guess.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 20:11:24 »
Yeah, I've painted quite a few plates now, and I always use Krylon. I always sand it with 80-grit sandpaper to prep. Just do several thin costs, allowing like 15-20 minutes between coats. Then let it dry for 24-48 hours before mounting any switches or stabilizers.
alright ill give that a try, thanks everyone for help and such

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 21:12:34 »
Yes, I thought "the plastidip solution" has just pros, no cons. Until I saw this

well, in some point of view this may be a con too, but for my taste of durable keyboard painting this is a huge con :-(
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 June 2014, 21:15:03 by Eszett »

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 21:15:56 »
(double posting, can be deleted)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 21:17:35 »
Yes, I thought "the plastidip solution" has just pros, no cons. Until I saw this
Show Image

well, in some point of view this may be a con too, but for my taste of durable keyboard painting this is a huge con :-(

That's actually a pro for some.  IME, the issue is if it comes into contact with something a lot, it tends to pill a little and wear off.  Then it gets hard to remove.