Author Topic: Keyboard trackpad question  (Read 2837 times)

Offline AGmurdercore

Keyboard trackpad question
« on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 08:17:49 »
Hey guys :P

I have this idea in mt head for some time now to make myself a keyboard with trackpad build in it but i am not sure how/if this is possible.

Anyone have any exp with that that can give me some inside info what will i need to make this possible?
What the hell am I even doing

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
Re: Keyboard trackpad question
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 08:37:25 »
This one is similar, a trackball added to an Ergodox : https://www.flickr.com/photos/kurplop/sets/72157633538408496/
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 10:25:14 »
This one is similar, a trackball added to an Ergodox : https://www.flickr.com/photos/kurplop/sets/72157633538408496/

I think the cost and time involved is simply prohibitive unless you are absolutely certain that that will be the setup you use for life. For most tinkerers that's not the case.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 10:25:15 »
Hey guys :P

I have this idea in mt head for some time now to make myself a keyboard with trackpad build in it but i am not sure how/if this is possible.

Anyone have any exp with that that can give me some inside info what will i need to make this possible?

an apple magic trackpad fits perfects between the keywells of a kinesis, or so I'm told.

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 03:06:19 »
Well mi question is more like is it possible to connect a laptop trackpad using teensy and what will be required to do so?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 07:12:17 »
The best trackpad I have ever used is the one found on a Cherry G80-11900 and it is small, too.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 07:28:08 »
The best trackpad I have ever used is the one found on a Cherry G80-11900 and it is small, too.
Well my initial idea was to get one from some old cherry board but still the question exists for me if i will be (and most importantly how?) to connect it with a teensy.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 07:43:31 »

Wow. That's fscking beautiful.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 07:45:12 »
connect it with a teensy.

The 11900 has two PS/2 connectors, 1 for the keyboard and 1 for the trackpad.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 07:49:54 »

Yeah that is one of my initial idea to just have two separate connectors for the board and the trackpad but if there is a way to just one will be better, so i am just looking around what can i do :)

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 08:43:46 »

Yeah that is one of my initial idea to just have two separate connectors for the board and the trackpad but if there is a way to just one will be better, so i am just looking around what can i do :)
Two are better. Fewer complications. You can always combine them at the end again using a two headed ps2 to USB adapter.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 09:06:51 »
Two are better. Fewer complications. You can always combine them at the end again using a two headed ps2 to USB adapter.
Bro if you can enter my head right now you will see that this is like the least complicated thing in the keyboard that i want to build some day ahaha :D

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 11:16:25 »
Most laptop trackpads still use PS/2 to communicate. I hear that trackpoints usually do too.

The 11900 trackpad is either alps or cirque (alps) PS/2, they are somewhat low DPI but otherwise nice.

Most people like synaptics, and they usually have excellent driver support. I would recommedn them. Or just get an old laptop.

I actually have a spare synaptics PS/2 trackpad from 2007 in my "spare parts" laptop (spilled in MB no longer works) You can have it for $shipping if you want.

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 15:48:46 »
Most laptop trackpads still use PS/2 to communicate. I hear that trackpoints usually do too.

The 11900 trackpad is either alps or cirque (alps) PS/2, they are somewhat low DPI but otherwise nice.

Most people like synaptics, and they usually have excellent driver support. I would recommedn them. Or just get an old laptop.

I actually have a spare synaptics PS/2 trackpad from 2007 in my "spare parts" laptop (spilled in MB no longer works) You can have it for $shipping if you want.
Omg yes i do! I posted a thread in the classified for that so yeah i DO want it :D Please tell me how much will be the shipping to Bulgaria and where to send you the money, thanks!

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 19:14:52 »

Omg yes i do! I posted a thread in the classified for that so yeah i DO want it :D Please tell me how much will be the shipping to Bulgaria and where to send you the money, thanks!

PMed