Author Topic: [Side Project] Dym's Granite / Marble Wrist Rest  (Read 3848 times)

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
[Side Project] Dym's Granite / Marble Wrist Rest
« on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 01:01:37 »
Hi everyone!
this is my first project that i've got to share here (well, Mr. clappingcactus thought that i should at least, share this). i hope that this page might give me more motivation to work on those.....

soo....
as in my country,  my geolocation, and my dad's hobby I have plenty access to some marble and granite that are considered junk because they're too small to use. (but not for me, or us heheheh) i can get them for a really low price.so that means i can also sell it at a really low price as well ($30-$35 for a full size length, but i still need to calculate this. one thing that i'm certain, that it won't go past $50 for a full size one)so i ended up tried to get ,cutting, and polishing some. oh, and sorry about the potato pic. i don't have any good camera.

this is my first take - a white-milky cream Marble. yeah i know, the cutting are ****ty (i'm not using my usual blades and i'm in a hurry because of excitement of getting a ve.a) and they're not polished yet. i'm just too lazy to do it, maybe this weekend i'll polish them... maybemaybe.

i specifically cut (again) this one to fit my VE.A.

that's the ducky one TKL as the basis of 'normal' TKL size.

arguably fits well with my VE.A, despite i didn't take any measurement before  :))

and this is my second take. dark green-emeraldish Granite. I personally love this color more than the marble.
i tried making two of this based on Royal Glam's wrist rest length (actual measurement, unlike that marble one), and so are them.

For the TKL, they're still missing a few mms. shouldn't ve trusted those lol.

i don't have any 60% keyboard right now (i sold my hhkb to fund exent lolololol) so... sorry  :'( but this one fits perfectly with my hhkb.

the polishing is not perfect on this one. i just want to say to you that this is literally a slab of granite being modelled lol

my next step is that i'll try to make the angled version of those, but that might took some time, you know, i need to think of some model before i cut it. really need some suggestion/ideas on this. and i think i still can improve the feet, as the feet now is just using a rubber feet from 3M.

comments and critics are welcomed!
r8h8masturb8
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 January 2017, 01:08:13 by Dymloslouire »
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: [Side Project] Dym's Granite / Marble Wrist Rest
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 01:05:45 »
the marble looks great

i'd be a little weary about any imperfections on the surface of the stone being abrasive against the front of the keyboard, if they made contact

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 01:28:34 »
the marble looks great

i'd be a little weary about any imperfections on the surface of the stone being abrasive against the front of the keyboard, if they made contact

thanks!

hmm, i'd not worried about that because i always set a space between the wrist rest and the keyboard. and i also think that i can add a thin soft pad that function as an absorber so that the front of the keyboard didn't get contacted with the marble or the granite.

TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 07:54:42 »
I've already said I think this would be a wonderful idea! I think the main problems would really be the shaping (some people prefer a taper towards a narrow shape away from the keyboard),  shipping price (I don't know where you live but you could always see if someone with a corporate account here would help) and really the overall quantities and time you can put into this!

I still think it's fantastic and marble is a way better material than wood or acrylic for both durability and feel.

Would you by any chance have like a few sample square blocks to show us all the colors you have access to?

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 10:24:50 »
I've already said I think this would be a wonderful idea! I think the main problems would really be the shaping (some people prefer a taper towards a narrow shape away from the keyboard),  shipping price (I don't know where you live but you could always see if someone with a corporate account here would help) and really the overall quantities and time you can put into this!

I still think it's fantastic and marble is a way better material than wood or acrylic for both durability and feel.

Would you by any chance have like a few sample square blocks to show us all the colors you have access to?

heyy thanks! yes, i know, i need to make a vote or something regarding the shape of the wrist rest. and.. shipping price.. now that's kind of hard. i can made a contact with hendyzone/jokrik to help me with the shipping, i guess they have more experience regarding intl shipping more than me. as for the weight, the one with the problem is the granite one. it's MUCH more heavier than the marble one.
that TKL slab? 2 kg LOL.
i'd agree about the feel, after going marble and granite i can't go back to wood anymore.

about the sample, it'll take some time, but i'll try!