Author Topic: Vortex Aluminum Filco Case  (Read 127011 times)

Offline nebo

Re: Vortex Aluminum Filco Case
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 14:47:56 »
So what is the consensus on this case?  I'm getting it's not the same quality as a KMAC.  What are the exact differences?  How does it compare to the MKC case?  It definitely seems a step up from the stock case but I was expecting to have my mind blown.  Also what goes into designing a case like this?   
Objectively, MKC's case were better in all aspects. More chamfers and treated edges, extra chamfers and features to hide imperfections in the split lines, finer tolerances (by the looks of it), more advanced shape with milled underside etc requiring more mounts in a mill, brass inserts for threads instead of just tapping the holes in the aluminum etc.

Then again, they were about twice as expensive. Someone who received one could perhaps chime in. I am actually surprised that they managed to get the price that low.
I had an MKC one and this one should be here on Thursday, will give more specifics on this one and the differences between the two.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #201 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 15:44:28 »
I would be in for a groupbuy in either the current color or blue...
I love Elzy

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #202 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 19:15:28 »
Want a silver one or black one, count me in for group buy. Thanks
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 17:51:29 »
Came home and the package was waiting for me. I recorded a video review on the spot, will upload it when I have time. But here are some quick things I want to note. It's already anodized, just not with color. It fits fine with Filco and CM quickfire with stock controllers. With bpiphany's custom controller, it won't work. Ducky plates is about half a millimeter too long to be a direct drop in, so filing the ducky plate or the vortex case at the left and right sides would make it work. I'm disappointed in the overall imperfections.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 18:19:14 »
With bpiphany's custom controller, it won't work.

Got mine in there with the bpiphany controller, but I don't know if it will come out again...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline BimboBB

« Reply #205 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 18:24:57 »
Came home and the package was waiting for me. I recorded a video review on the spot, will upload it when I have time. But here are some quick things I want to note. It's already anodized, just not with color. It fits fine with Filco and CM quickfire with stock controllers. With bpiphany's custom controller, it won't work. Ducky plates is about half a millimeter too long to be a direct drop in, so filing the ducky plate or the vortex case at the left and right sides would make it work. I'm disappointed in the overall imperfections.

No good news.  :( Was thinking to use it for my Ducky.

In general, is it possible to re-anodize to a different color?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 19:11:05 »
Dan did it to his Cheat

Offline nebo

« Reply #207 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 19:21:00 »
A quick comparison to the MKC case:
Cost:
For the money, the vortex is easily the better deal. Half the cost but not half the quality.
Quality:
MKC, but that I knew would be a given. I couldn't find a flaw with that case. With the vortex there were some minor blemishes upon arrival. It also does not feel as smooth as the MKC case and the two parts don't come together in a perfect seam.
Other:
Neither had directions though you shouldn't need it as they are straight forward. No feed or padding at all on the Vortex case, I actually have it on a mat as to prevent it from scratching anything.

Final:
For what they are, I would actually say both are overpriced. MKC by quite a large margin and surprisingly the vortex as well. It's design is too simple and executed too poorly to justify much more than what I paid ($158USD including supping).

As for reanodizing, you can but I know it is $125 minimum where I would go and that just isn't worth it for something like this.

EDIT - If anyone finds some feet that work well with this can you post them ITT? Already going out to get some rubber pads.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 December 2012, 20:03:02 by nebo »

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #208 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 20:59:32 »
I found two places near me that have given me quotes to reanodize it.  $75 at one, and $100 at another.  (They have to plug all the holes in order not to mess up the threads, and they charge $1 a hole extra they tell me.)  One is in San Antonio, and one in Austin.  Not cheap... but I think I'll try.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
Vortex Aluminum Filco Case
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 21:24:59 »
@aggie Is it cheaper if they do more than one at a time? Hmmm...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #210 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 21:26:28 »
Dan did it to his Cheat
He did his for $40. Not sure why where Aggiejy is going it is so expensive... herm.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 21:32:11 »
At one place, yes.  Or if I do it while he's already doing other stuff.  (If I like the color he's doing.)  Else, he's making a dye bath just for one thing.  My inlaws are driving in from Midland Friday, I'd have them take yours along for the ride, but no way to get it back until after Christmas.  Plus, you may not like the color. :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 21:33:56 »
I don't really need it until after Christmas. :) And what color, maroon?

in memoriam

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #213 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 21:34:24 »
I vote pink!

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #214 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 21:35:56 »
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #215 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 21:41:04 »
What's wrong with pink?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 21:43:42 »
What's wrong with pink?

I think this is what you were looking for:

in memoriam

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #217 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 21:45:23 »
I don't really need it until after Christmas. :) And what color, maroon?

Haha, no.  If I go with the cheaper place, I was going to ask for blue or green or red.  I am kind of undecided anyway, so I figured I'd take whatever one he happened to be mixing up next.  He said if I did that, he'd give me a good discount, maybe even as low as $50.  But, he wants to look at the part in person before he commits.  Unfortunately, it's an hour drive from me, so I'm trying to talk him into taking a better look at pictures, etc.  (I'd spend that much in gas!)  He's just a small one-man shop best I can tell. (http://www.finishwright.com/)

The other company is larger (http://www.cmtfinishing.com/) and they quoted me $75 originally, but then said $100 after asking about the hole count, etc.  But unlike the guy, they're committed to that price, and I can pick any color I want that they do.  (They do more than what is listed.)  I feel a little bit more comfortable about this group, even though it could be twice the price.  If you are serious about wanting to double-dip (literally), I can ask them what it would cost to do an extra.  At minimum, it'd be $18 extra just to plug the threaded holes I guess.  But who knows, maybe they wouldn't charge much to add another.  (Not sure if it'd have to be the same color...)

Edit: Oh, and I did mention to both that it *might* be anodized already, and it didn't seem to get them too excited.  The cheaper guy did say it would have to be removed before coloring.  I plan to ask if that will cost more, to both places.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 December 2012, 21:46:58 by aggiejy »

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #218 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 22:12:56 »
I'll throw my Zimbabwe 2 cents in.

Design: I guess the sandwiched solution is kinda smart. However. I would have preferred they drilled the bottom case so you can install screw on standoffs for extra support. I wish there was some sort of alignment bevel/groove for top and bottom of the case, or use stakes.

Quality: Nicks and dings. Par for the course since I've already seen it on my Pures. Mine has a good bit of parallel machine marks. So they don't have their machine setup correctly and the axis of the machined parts and the bit is not perfectly perpendicular. Or it may be worn bits. Mine in particular has some "rubs" on it. The minor discoloration rubs off. I would have accepted it if it was a prototype. I was told that mine is out of the same batch you guys got. Eye brow was raised.

Price: I think 150 is reasonable if they didn't have the nicks and dings, and included the rubber feet. Metal feet would be nice too, eventhough I won't use it. Low production run cost a bunch.

Commentary:
I don't particularly think the case is bad quality. I'd probably rate it a solid B. It is when the price issue is brought in that this case flunks out. $150 isn't a lot of money, but it is a good bit to spend on accessories for accessories. I don't think most of us that bought one would have minded a better QCed case for 30-50 more. They cheaped out, and it shows.

As seen in the first page, I gotten mine 3 weeks ago. I didn't write anything since, well, I expected the actual shipped batch to get more attention. I guess I was wrong. I like ShakeR, but I feel that he kinda jumped the gun on this one. He should have at least taken pictures of the actual production run instead of using the Vortex shallow depth of field photos that you can't see anything on. May be I should have said something to the detriment of ShakeR/Tiger Imports. Then again, a lot of people here think I am talking out of my butt already. They'd probably buy it anyways and we would end up in this same spot. I will just pissed off a Vendor for no one's benefit.

And for those that missed out... Another batch (with colors) is supposed to be made, probably early next year or so. If you still want one, there ya go. I am just going to ask for a sample on the next batch. I did order more, but I am not a gambling man.

PS: For the record, I am satisfied enough for a daily usage case. I don't exactly put my keyboards on a pedestal and worship it. I buy them to be used. It isn't 150 dollar good, but still very usable. Perhaps more so since I won't give 2 craps about dinging and scratching it.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #219 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 22:20:50 »
Well, now you have a weapon handy in case someone goes postal while you're at your desk :)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #220 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 22:31:44 »
I am gonna stuff my case with higher density rubber foam. It should help weight it down some more. It definitely is a blunt weapon.

Offline BimboBB

« Reply #221 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 01:32:21 »
Good to hear its possible to re-anodize. I asked a company here in Hamburg and they would do color anodizing of that case for EUR 20-30. Will ask them today again, if its a problem when its anodized already.

edit: they said, no problem at all. the case will be pickled in advance in order to remove the anodic coating.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 December 2012, 05:01:47 by BimboBB »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #222 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 16:38:57 »
aggiejy, did you ever hear back from the anodizing place if it would reduce the cost per unit to do more than one?

in memoriam

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #223 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 16:46:57 »
aggiejy, did you ever hear back from the anodizing place if it would reduce the cost per unit to do more than one?
Last quote he gave me was $60 if I did blue.  I wrote back asking about doing two instead of one, and also to get clarification that that price includes deanodizing.  I haven't heard back.  But, my inlaws have already left Midland today, so you'd have to mail it if you wanted to.  I'll PM you if I hear back. (But figured people would like to see the ballpark pricing I'm finding!)

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #224 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 06:23:14 »
although im not a representative of mechkbds.com or vortex, i know the aluminum stand/whatever sh*t will come on 2013/1

Offline Batmann

« Reply #225 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 06:43:15 »
For what they are, I would actually say both are overpriced. MKC by quite a large margin and surprisingly the vortex as well. It's design is too simple and executed too poorly to justify much more than what I paid ($158USD including supping).
EDIT - If anyone finds some feet that work well with this can you post them ITT? Already going out to get some rubber pads.

It isn't 150 dollar good, but still very usable. Perhaps more so since I won't give 2 craps about dinging and scratching it.

Pretty happy to read this,
I often have the feeling that value of money is kinda twisted here
150$ for a simple alu case is  not cheap

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #226 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 06:23:04 »
^Bringing this back up. For those of you that used a ferrite bead cable. Did you guys actually forcibly screwed it down? Seems like trouble if you did. The plate is semi floating plate. If you push down hard and keeping the PCB in place (propped up by the bead), you can actually unhook the plate from the switches. You guys may want to check on that.

/Finally got my screws so I could finish assembling it. I do have a unbeaded cable, but it also doesn't have the strain relief. Not sure what to do right now. I may go buy another spare cable (for fullsized board so longer internal cable) and remove the bead...

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #227 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 17:10:46 »
Just sent mine off to have it reanodized red. We'll see how that works.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #228 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 17:50:07 »
Just sent mine off to have it reanodized red. We'll see how that works.

Coolio can't wait to see the result.
I love Elzy

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #229 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 23:58:36 »
So I found out what those 2 holes are on the underside of the top alu plate. 

They are recessed holes that allow for the 2 pan head screws to fit into.  There are two threaded holes drilled into top side of the bottom alu plate (the holes are just left of center on the top of the keyboard [i.e. near the function row] and bottom right of center [i.e. near the directional arrows]).  The 2 pan head screws screw down to keep the keyboard pcb+plate from shifting around in between the top and bottom vortex alu keyboard plates.  Once these 2 pan head screws with washers are screwed into their respective holes, the heads of these 2 screws fit snugly into the 2 mysterious holes in the top vortex alu plate.  With that being said, the top most (i.e. near the function row) recessed hole on my case was a fraction of a millimeter off so I could only use the bottom pan head screw. 

I hope this helps and I hope it hasn't been said earlier in this thread....but I just figured this out tonight when I was reinstalling the vortex case.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 December 2012, 00:00:43 by AKIMbO »
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #230 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 00:52:22 »
Great info, thanks!!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Vortex Aluminum Filco Case
« Reply #231 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 03:22:21 »
^Bringing this back up. For those of you that used a ferrite bead cable. Did you guys actually forcibly screwed it down? Seems like trouble if you did. The plate is semi floating plate. If you push down hard and keeping the PCB in place (propped up by the bead), you can actually unhook the plate from the switches. You guys may want to check on that.

/Finally got my screws so I could finish assembling it. I do have a unbeaded cable, but it also doesn't have the strain relief. Not sure what to do right now. I may go buy another spare cable (for fullsized board so longer internal cable) and remove the bead...
if your looking for a filco cable talk to MiMic he can make them now.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #232 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 12:15:05 »
I paid 3 dollars for my spare cable and I think I overpaid ;o I'll sleeve the cable myself when I get around to it. /lazy
I already solved it though. I disassembled the white connector leads and pull them through the ferrite bead. For those that want to mod their stock cable. Look at the flat side of the connector where you can see the silver leads. There are 5 tabs holding those things in. Just flip up the tab with a precision flathead and you can remove the wire + lead from the connector. Make sure to mark the 2 different black wires so you know which is which. Remove the heatshrink and pull the wires through the bead, then reassemble. Done.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
Re: Re: Vortex Aluminum Filco Case
« Reply #233 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 15:04:34 »
I paid 3 dollars for my spare cable and I think I overpaid ;o I'll sleeve the cable myself when I get around to it. /lazy
I already solved it though. I disassembled the white connector leads and pull them through the ferrite bead. For those that want to mod their stock cable. Look at the flat side of the connector where you can see the silver leads. There are 5 tabs holding those things in. Just flip up the tab with a precision flathead and you can remove the wire + lead from the connector. Make sure to mark the 2 different black wires so you know which is which. Remove the heatshrink and pull the wires through the bead, then reassemble. Done.
Or  you can smash the ferrite bead with a hammer like I did.  They are uber fragile so one soft hit with a hammer shatters them.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #234 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 15:58:52 »
I didn't even think about the destructive way ;o

Offline Batmann

« Reply #235 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 11:36:15 »
I received my case today, and.....

It's good!
No dodgy seams, no scratch, no dent (and also no feet)
I got worried when I saw pics on this thread but the outcome is a very good surprise for me
I also have the giant holes but they look pretty clean and unnoticeable when mounted.

Next time I'll try and not start *****ing about something I didn't see in person!  :-[

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #236 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 13:48:58 »
Fitted mine yesterday.  Looks good - nice seams too.  The edges are a tad sharp, but that's just the design.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #237 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 14:50:46 »
Yeah, I love mine.  I didn't have bad seams or anything else wrong.  I guess if you're side by side with a high end korean board or something, it could be noticeable.  But otherwise, it's a heck of a lot cheaper way to get a nice heavy aluminum tenkeyless. :)

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #238 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 16:31:22 »
I should stick my white PBTs on the Pure. It would be an interesting contrast. White on black case and dark grey on aluminum grey.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #239 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 18:47:29 »
That Filco looks really great with those gray caps.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #240 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 18:57:24 »
IIRC, they are blacks, but the white balance is off.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #241 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 05:41:34 »
They're the dark grey PBTs. I know Oni and One has them. I haven't looked at the new front printed Ducky PBT, but they look like they're the dark grey too.

Edit: The caps' color is kinda funky. In dimmer lighting, it is as dark as blacks. They look like much lighter grey compared to the black under brighter lights.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 December 2012, 05:46:39 by laffindude »

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #242 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 06:39:05 »
Not great photos...

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #243 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 06:45:28 »
Awesome hoggy!
Haven't seen that keyset in a while :D

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #244 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 07:40:24 »
I pulled a couple of keys from that keyset in the SP grab bag  Now I really want one!
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #245 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 08:39:23 »
The one in the picture is from round one.  I liked it so much I bought another in round 3...  It just seems to go nicely with a large variety of boards.  7bit might have something left over from round 4...

Offline Batmann

« Reply #246 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 16:21:21 »
Hey hoggy, you play golf? The pink thing on your pics looks like a tee

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #247 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 16:24:18 »
Oh, it's a cover from my multimeter.  I got paranoid and wanted to check the case wasn't conductive before placing the pcb inside.  I've only ever played crazy golf (and I stank...)

Offline Batmann

« Reply #248 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 16:40:54 »
Ah ok! My addiction is twisting my mind, nvm!

Offline FabsSpeed

« Reply #249 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 02:18:54 »
Overall on the Vortex - So do you recommend buying it?
| Wanted: KMAC  & KMAC 1.2, 356 Mini, 456 GT |