Author Topic: Lithium grease, recommended?  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Entropia

Lithium grease, recommended?
« on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 05:10:23 »
Yesterday I received my second Leopold FC980C. When testing all the keys and typing for a while I noticed that a few keys such as for instance the "c" had a higher pitch sound than normal, which happened with the upstroke. I removed the keycap and installed it again but nothing changed. Then I decided to apply a very tiny bit of lithium grease to the exterior of the stem of the keycap, reinserted it and the strange sound was completelly gone and the response of the key was unaffected. Have you tried something like this? Do you think that the very small quantity of lithium grease could affect the PBT plastic?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Lithium grease, recommended?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 12:41:19 »
No way,  All Gekhurs know our keebs are Krytox Chemours only

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 08:42:20 »
Lithium is safe for most plastics, I'm not sure about specific types that are not, but in general it's fine.

That said, I do NOT recommend lubing this way.
Any dust or debris on the stem is shoved into the switch and can have serious consequences later. It's better than spray lubing but not a by a whole lot. While it seems the same as hand lubing after disassembly, it's not. When you hand lube yes, you are putting lube in that same spot but how you do it is different. Hand lubing you brush things from one end to the other, this usually results in wiping away and pushing debris and such into harmless areas, by contrary shoving lube it pushes it right where the plastic is grinding.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline moosekeyboards

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 17:00:01 »
No way,  All Gekhurs know our keebs are Krytox Chemours only

Show Image

some 1xx series or 2xx series is always the best.