Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1238345 times)

Offline wasabah

Re: [Interest Check] ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #1250 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 01:15:02 »
I just talked with Massdrop via live chat.

They have ordered an aluminium case sample on Monday.
This sample is expected to arrive on Thursday or Friday! I was assured that they will upload pictures right away as soon as they have it.
Also, it will be available for both classic and full hand version.

Case feet are not included in the buy.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 January 2013, 01:18:19 by wasabah »
ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #1251 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 02:39:58 »
If you don't already have spare keycaps or want to cannibalize caps from a used Cherry G80, it looks like the cheapest option for new caps (at least from WASD) would be to get:
  • 87-key set ($37 blank, +$10 labeled)
    and
  • (4) numpad "+" keys ($1/ea.)
    or
  • (3) Row-4 1x2.00 key ($1.25)
    or
  • (2) "+" keys & (1) Row-4 1x2.00 key
The 87-key set will provide (2) 1x1.5 keys and (7) 1x1.25 keys sufficient to cover the ErgoDox's (8 ) 1x1.5 key spots with some slight edge gaps, or you can add (10) Row-3 1x1.5 keys ($1/ea.). The 87-key set includes a cap puller and enough spare F-keys, which have a fairly flat Row-4 profile that the ErgoDox won't use, that can be used to fill in keys as needed. I wonder if WASD would be willing to offer an 87-key labeled set with blank F-keys upon request?

What's the ideal set?

That depends on your preferences, such as whether you want labeled or blank keys, DCS-like row-profiled keys vs. DSA-like identical-profile keys, any contrasting-color keys, what key layout you want and how much layout experimenting you want to do, etc. The basic inventory goes like this:
  • (60) 1x1 keys (you'll probably want a homing bump on 2 of these)
  • (12) 1x1.50 keys
  • (4) 1x2.00 keys
An "ideal" set would include the 1.5 and 2.0 keys; the former are only available in Row-3 profile, and the latter could be (4) numpad "+" keys, or (2) "+" keys and (2) Row-4 1x2 keys (e.g. if you want your inner/outer 2x thumb keys to feel different, as some Kinesis models have them).

Now, for the remaining 1x1 keys. If you want blank identical-profile keys and the utmost color-coding potential, just order the quantities listed above a la carte with Row-3 1x1s, and you should be good at $80 for the set. If you want labeled or row-profiled keys, your best bet is probably going with an 87-key set or a 37-key alpha-punct and 10-key numrow sets, then filling in the remaining 1x1 gaps -- at least 5 more with the 87-key set, or at least 13 more with the 37+10 approach.

With an 87-key blank set, you'll have plenty of blank, unused F-keys you can use, but otherwise, what row-profiles to get for those remaining keys can get complicated, involving what layout you'll be using, what keys don't fit in the matrix vs. their native layout and where/whether you want to use them, how much it matters to have matching key profiles across each row, etc. I'm not even going to get into those variables here.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 January 2013, 17:51:03 by SubGothius »
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1252 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 04:43:02 »
Im probably just going with wasd for the keys so that i can get my legends for my layers right on the caps and easily get them remade when they wear out.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #1253 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 09:29:27 »
I got responses from MassDrop on my questions.  wasabah got the core answers we were waiting for this morning, as well.

All answers provided by Steve @ MassDrop.

Code: [Select]
Regarding the Aluminum case and photos:

We've placed the order with the manufacturer and will have pictures on Thursday or Friday

Regarding switch stabilizers in the kit

No, switch stabilizers are not included in this kit. We should easily be able to run group buys on these if there is enough interest though.

Regarding feet for the case

Unfortunately, no the feet are not included.

Regarding shipping (1 of 2) kits ordered to a different address. I this was asked by someone - about shipping directly to TheProfosist for build.

Not a problem. When you place your second order, just specify that address
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline sordna

« Reply #1254 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 10:19:18 »
WASDkeyboards sells stabilizers for $1 (.50 for the bar and .50 for a pair of plate-mount clips) per key, so the cost for the ErgoDox (which has 4 long keys) would be $4:

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts-1.html

Using thumb keys for years on Kinesis keyboards, I have to say the stabilizers are not necessary, but wouldn't hurt either.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1255 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 10:44:44 »
I got responses from MassDrop on my questions.  wasabah got the core answers we were waiting for this morning, as well.

We've placed the order with the manufacturer and will have pictures on Thursday or Friday

No, switch stabilizers are not included in this kit. We should easily be able to run group buys on these if there is enough interest though.

Regarding shipping (1 of 2) kits ordered to a different address. I this was asked by someone - about shipping directly to TheProfosist for build.

no feet? :(

i guess i got to buy something to prevent it from sliding....

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #1256 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 10:50:24 »

They sell good things at most hardware stores that you can use. On the cheap especially.

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline bisl

« Reply #1257 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 10:54:10 »
Anyone thinking about using two 1x1-size keys in the place of any of the 1x2 thumb keys? I was thinking about doing that, possibly with DSA rows 2, 1, 5 from bottom to top, so that it's easy to hit the ones in back without accidentally actuating the keys in front of them.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: [Interest Check] ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #1258 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 12:02:10 »

get some egrips and that thing wont move. If you dont want to buy a roll i have one and could sell strips.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 January 2013, 12:06:56 by TheProfosist »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1259 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 13:34:49 »
get some egrips and that thing wont move. If you dont want to buy a roll i have one and could sell strips.

whatever costs less i guess, however grip material sounds like something i would want to hoard :) where would you find a roll of this stuff? I need to put that stuff on my HHKB which slides all over my desk when i don't have a desk rug lol

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1260 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 13:47:48 »

whatever costs less i guess, however grip material sounds like something i would want to hoard :) where would you find a roll of this stuff? I need to put that stuff on my HHKB which slides all over my desk when i don't have a desk rug lol
right here sir http://tinyurl.com/ab2t2l8

also check out all the info on the product at http://www.egrips.com/

Offline Cadrach

« Reply #1261 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 16:15:38 »
If you want to get some nonskid stuff on the cheap, these things would probably fit the bill.  They work amazingly well.  They're just sheets of rubbery webbing that aren't sticky, but that absolutely detest sliding on surfaces.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=11151&partNumber=2642312

From West Marine they're $2 for "one placemat" worth of material, which would probably be good enough for both keyboards.  I didn't check what shipping would cost;  perhaps something obscene.  I know I've got a 12" wide roll of this stuff somewhere, but I don't remember where I bought it anymore.  Probably just a hardware or big-box store.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 January 2013, 13:22:36 by Cadrach »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1262 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 20:26:55 »
links not working for me but i think it like that cabinet liner

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #1263 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 23:26:35 »

Is this tape stuff the grippy material you put on the bottom of the 23ub I bought off of you?  If it is, it's amazing!  Way better than cabinet liner.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1264 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 23:35:07 »

Is this tape stuff the grippy material you put on the bottom of the 23ub I bought off of you?  If it is, it's amazing!  Way better than cabinet liner.
yep yep though i did put some of this inbetween http://tinyurl.com/a7edugp so it stuck better and made it a bit thicker.

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #1265 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 05:31:30 »
Do you guys think it would be possible to install some kind of led strip into the ErgoDox to get a nice shine through the space between the keys? I will be using blanks, but it would look kinda cool especially with an RGB strip to produce multiple colors.  :cool:

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline regack

« Reply #1266 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 08:08:19 »
Do you guys think it would be possible to install some kind of led strip into the ErgoDox to get a nice shine through the space between the keys? I will be using blanks, but it would look kinda cool especially with an RGB strip to produce multiple colors.  :cool:

I thought about running really thin EL wire or EL tape in a Model M, but I didn't want to bother with an inverter or external power...   That said, it would be easy to route around and no worries of shorts.

Offline Cadrach

« Reply #1267 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 13:24:43 »
links not working for me but i think it like that cabinet liner

Whoops.  Fixed the link (I think).

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #1268 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 16:19:42 »
Didn't they say that they will get the aluminium cases earlier today? I want to see them so bad...   ;D

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #1269 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 16:42:18 »
Yea - I talked to Will today.  He said they had the ALU cases and were in the process of building the boards.  So, we should have pictures later tonight or tomorrow sometime.  They were having issues with the conversion from Acrylic designs to ALU designs.  The sizing was off on the first run they did.

Also found out the ALU cases are water cut.

And the MD site should have an update soon that will bring back the ability to update your own orders via the transaction page.

-----------

I took the layout image from MD, too, and created a blank overlay - in case anyone else wants to mock up a custom layout/layer.

Here: http://i.imgur.com/0DFgS.png
And here:
11948-0
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 January 2013, 16:47:09 by wiredPANDA »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1270 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 16:55:17 »
very interested in seeing those pictures.

it sucks there is still 10 days, i want an ErgoDox nnnoooowwwwww

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #1271 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 17:02:48 »
You and me, both.  I find myself watching these threads wayyyyyyy more than I need to.

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #1272 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 17:22:34 »
I've been thinking about making a keypad out of the left side of the ErgoDox, but I don't know whether it could actually function on its own without the right side (do you need the I/O expander even if you use only one part of the keyboard?). I would want one ErgoDox for normal use with blues, and a left sided half  :D for gaming with reds. Would this be possible?

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline bisl

« Reply #1273 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 17:36:59 »
I would want one ErgoDox for normal use with blues, and a left sided half  :D for gaming with reds. Would this be possible?

Buy two!

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #1274 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 17:44:00 »
I would want one ErgoDox for normal use with blues, and a left sided half  :D for gaming with reds. Would this be possible?

Buy two!
Well, I am hoping to get the one intended for the keypad to cost around half the price, and I would not like having one whole additional ErgoDox where I don't even use one of its sides. If it's not possible, I won't buy a second one to have half of it as a keypad, that's for sure!  :))

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline regack

« Reply #1275 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 17:55:58 »

Buy two!
Well, I am hoping to get the one intended for the keypad to cost around half the price, and I would not like having one whole additional ErgoDox where I don't even use one of its sides. If it's not possible, I won't buy a second one to have half of it as a keypad, that's for sure!  :))

Get another (or 2) PCBs and build it up, then come up for a case for it separately... that way you could do the controller swap and have the controller on the left side... you could plug it in separately, and have 1.5 keyboards...

edit: weird spacing

edit2: now I want to do that... dang it! that's more money...

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #1276 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 01:46:33 »
Buy two!

At the very least, just add (1) extra PCB to your order (they're the same for each side, being double-sided) and BYO set of (38) MX reds, (38) diodes, (1) MCP23018 I/O expander, (1) 3.5mm TRRS connector... I think that's all? This would leave the matter of a case/mounting solution, but at any rate the TRRS connection would make it pretty trivial to swap your left-hand modules as needed.
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Offline sordna

« Reply #1277 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 01:59:28 »
25 keyboards to go to hit the $199 price (it's now at $226 which isn't too bad) but... let's do a little poll here:
Who has not ordered the keyboard on massdrop, but plans to do so in the next 10 days ?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline wasabah

« Reply #1278 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 02:27:47 »
I will probably order one more after having seen the aluminium case.
ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline sordna

« Reply #1279 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 02:37:06 »
Myself I have not ordered yet, but plan to order a full hand keyboard (and just maybe a 2nd) probably in the last couple of days of the GB.

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #1280 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 03:18:51 »
I have yet to order mine too. I want to see the aluminium case first, like many others.

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline spm

« Reply #1281 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 04:44:06 »
I'm still thinking about it... still rubber dome keyboard user, so it will be my first mechanical. Maybe I order one in next days :))

Offline figit090

• RGB LED Kinesis Contoured
« Reply #1282 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 05:15:33 »
I'm interested in this but I'd like to see what people think of it, and I can't afford $200 right now.  I also wouldn't know what switch to choose because I've only tried one type, and it is my simple alps board.

Will it possibly be available again in the future, or be developed more?  Great work, it looks awesome!

Also, no function keys?  why not?
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 January 2013, 05:18:31 by figit090 »

Offline BugBuster

• LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #1283 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 07:18:26 »
I'm going to buy 2. Just waiting for Alu and news about browns (it will be cheaper and simpler for bookkeeping for me to order it with switches, but they have to be brown).

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #1284 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 08:35:26 »
I'm interested in this but I'd like to see what people think of it, and I can't afford $200 right now.  I also wouldn't know what switch to choose because I've only tried one type, and it is my simple alps board.

Will it possibly be available again in the future, or be developed more?  Great work, it looks awesome!

Also, no function keys?  why not?

No function keys because the keyboard is multi layered. That is, there are "fn" keys that allow you to access secondary/tertiary layers for things like numpad etc.

As of this writing, macro capability is not in the firmware, but I believe that it will be in the cards at a later date.

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline ironman31

« Reply #1285 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 08:43:56 »
I haven't ordered yet. I will definitely get one, mAaaaybe two. I've got blue And brown switches to salvage at home but I'll need a set or two of key caps. Hopefully MD will time it where the keyboard parts arrive before the key cap buy ends.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline sordna

« Reply #1286 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 09:13:35 »

You can order it without switches ($44 cheaper) so hopefully it will be only $155  and decide later on switches and keycaps. This way you'll have more options (reds, browns) that aren't offered here, and will have time to raise some more funds for those parts.

Will it possibly be available again in the future, or be developed more?

It might be available in the future, but it will probably be more expensive since the quantities ordered will be lower.
My guess it that the thing that will developed more is the firmware.

Basically, if you really like it and think you might be miserable if you miss it, get it during this GB, otherwise wait :-)

Offline wiredPANDA

[Interest Check] ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #1287 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 10:16:10 »
And that's why I'm getting two. I'm afraid this doesn't show up in another GB, and I'd be super annoyed if I missed out.

Been waiting on this board for too long now to pass on it.

Offline TDub

« Reply #1288 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 11:30:27 »
I'm also probably get two. If I get one and love it, I will hate not having a second one for the office. The risk is just to great  :eek:

Offline BugBuster

• LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #1289 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 11:37:52 »
Today I received a sampler kit with switches, keycaps and O-rings from WASD http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-sampler-kit.html
I've read and watched all reviews about Cherry MX switches before, but it is still a totally different story to touch it myself.
Usually I do a lot of programming during the day and then play a bit at night, mostly Tanki Online lately. And my wife complains that my MS Natural Pro is too clicky during gaming, which actually it really is. So I tested different cherries with this setup in mind.

First of all - Blues are really clicky and can be recommended only if either you live alone or have a separate sound-proof room and do really love that clicky sound.
Then overall there are 4 sounds when you press and release the button (in the order of appearance): "grrr" in the middle, click at the bottom, click at the top, resonance in the key cap.
Click at the bottom is killed almost completely by the O-ring. Personally I will choose blue ones, as softest and thickest.
"grrr" in the middle is only for Browns, as they have that bump. Blacks and Reds are linear and don't have any sound in the middle.
"grrr" is actually quite weak and probably not really noticeable compared to the click at the top or key cap resonance. So Browns are relatively good balance between feel and sound.
Blacks are heavier to press, but at the same time the pressure of the spring inside is bigger, so it's all the time under tension and the top click is smaller and shorter and lower pitch than in Reds, which are somehow wobblier. I.e. Blacks are quietest of all, but I'm not yet sure how my fingers react to the additional force. My current MS Pro is not very light either, probably a tad lighter than Blacks, so the Black might be actually ok.
And then we have key cap resonance - the black switch without key cap is almost inaudible, but with the key cap the top click is well audible. I don't know if PBT would be better compared to ABS in this aspect, might be.

For the top click I'm going to try a couple of very small drops of rubber glue inside at the sides of the switch case where the stem knocks the case and if it helps in any way and doesn't prevent the stem from moving.
The key cap (actually only half of it) can be either filled with the same rubber glue or with 4 square pieces of dense acoustic foam - to make it overall heavier and/or don't reflect sound that easily.

I also think that while I'll order Browns as a primary switch for letters-numbers, I will try to order couple of dozens of reds and blacks and eventually replace the arrows and Alt-Ctrl-Space and other control keys, where one usually bottom-outs anyway and where the bump-feel of the browns is not really important. This way it will be quiet in games where arrows and ctrl-space make the most of the noise. But at the same time it will be comfortable to type on browns during the day.
Luckily one can replace stems or springs without disassembling the whole keyboard. The cases of all Cherry MX switches seem to be exactly the same.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 January 2013, 11:53:14 by BugBuster »

Offline BugBuster

• LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #1290 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 11:49:22 »
I'm also probably get two. If I get one and love it, I will hate not having a second one for the office. The risk is just to great  :eek:

Exactly my point for ordering 2  :cool:
I'm actually thinking what happens if one of my sons follows my path and starts typing a lot and would need a good keyboard also. Which may happen quite soon actually  :rolleyes:

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #1291 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 11:51:33 »

I'm actually thinking what happens if one of my sons follows my path and starts typing a lot and would need a good keyboard also. Which may happen quite soon actually  :rolleyes:

What about your grandchildren?

Offline BugBuster

• LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #1292 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 11:56:49 »

What about your grandchildren?

They gonna have direct brain interface :) And/or computer embedded into the brain :)
And grand-grandchildren won't have computers at all - just pure energy-information :D

Offline regack

« Reply #1293 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 13:40:05 »
No word yet on the aluminum case?  I don't see anything on the MD site yet.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #1294 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 13:43:39 »
Let's check with live support - I'll update this once I hear back.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1295 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 13:53:25 »
sounds great, we have to be bugging the **** outa them.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #1296 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 14:48:43 »

What I've been thinking.  And I didn't get a response - plus I think I scared them away.  Live support isn't available anymore right now.

Offline regack

« Reply #1297 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 14:57:22 »

What I've been thinking.  And I didn't get a response - plus I think I scared them away.  Live support isn't available anymore right now.

Lunchtime in California...

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1298 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 15:03:30 »

lol or they are dodging us, what if the reason there isn't a picture yet is because its ugly?

Offline regack

« Reply #1299 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 15:05:00 »

lol or they are dodging us, what if the reason there isn't a picture yet is because its ugly?

D: