Author Topic: Lurking for a long time. Time to write a post.  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Windos

• king.geek.nz
Lurking for a long time. Time to write a post.
« on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 15:17:09 »
I have been lurking around these forums for a long time now, and thought the arrival of my first mechanical keyboard to be a good excuse to write my first post.

I talked my boss into buying my a keyboard and I ended up with a CM Storm QuickFire Pro (/w MX Browns.) I would have probably preferred a Leopold or Filco, but the pickings are slim in my neck of the woods (New Zealand); the pickings are even slimmer with the stores we have an account with. Regardless, I got the switches I wanted and am truly addicted to these keyboards now.

I just wanted to say that keyboard enthusiasts must be one of the most efficient groups of people out there. I ordered some blank keycaps from WASD Keyboards and they were on my desk within three business day, very nice considering we're used to waiting two or more weeks for overseas orders to arrive.

I asked a question before ordering a key with custom art on it and got a reply within ten minutes. The custom key shipped a few hours after I ordered it. This fast service was also experienced when ordering a set of the Breaking Bad caps from TechKeys.

Looking forward to some of those more "novelty" keys to arrive, but for now this is what I am typing away on:

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Re: Lurking for a long time. Time to write a post.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 15:27:34 »
Lucky your boss even bought you a mechanical keyboard. Most Bosses don't just do that; if you want a keyboard, you're getting a cheap membrane one. Did he buy your custom caps too?

WASDkeyboards is a great store, one of the best I've experienced as well. Very responsive and quick with shipping. He actually has deep roots here in the keyboard community, so check out his subforum on here. And i3oilermaker is the owner of techkeys, he was a member on here before he started his small business. He's currently pretty active on this forum, especially running all the group buys.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 15:40:47 »
Yeah, your boss hooked you up, for sure. I had to pay for my own, and when they found out how much it cost, were shocked. Oh well. Welcome! And post more.

Offline Windos

• king.geek.nz
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 15:41:25 »
The keys were brought by me.

We have it pretty good here as far as purchasing our gear goes. A few people here have those Microsoft Natural 7000 sets, which in NZ at least cost more than my QF Pro. I just wrote up a business case as to why I needed one. I tried most of the membrane keyboards we had on hand here, but as my typing speed increased they were all stating to physically jam on me.

Will be looking at getting a new board for home now...

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 15:41:31 »

And I'm glad you enjoyed your Breaking Bad caps.   ;D
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 November 2012, 15:44:10 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 15:53:46 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Here in Australia it takes around 7 to 9 working days for orders to ship from the US, including from WASD keyboards and techkeys.us.  Lucky you :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 20:30:57 »
It's a slippery slope, once you stop lurking and start posting you'll never escape(ESC) Mwhaha hahahahaha *cough cough*

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 03:26:42 »
Welcome! Great pickup for your first board - amazing that you managed to convince your boss to get it for you.

Also great to see someone even more southerly than us in Australia! I think you might be the first from NZ? Loved it down there when I went for a holiday two years ago :)

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline Batmann

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 03:42:45 »
I'm surprised nobody already warned you,
a real welcoming thread needs its "HIDE YOUR WALLET!" (yes I'm shouting)
or maybe just steal your boss's one   :p

and last but not least, welcome!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 20:39:53 »
Welcome to Geekhack! Your boss is the freaking boss.
I love Elzy

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 11:18:30 »

Looking good = )
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Vintage

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 13:42:50 »
Welcome to GH!

Nice keycaps and I wish I had your boss.

Now to convince him to get a Topre.  ;D
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 09:45:17 »
Welcome to GH