Author Topic: Mechanical keyboard virgin  (Read 1884 times)

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
Mechanical keyboard virgin
« on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 23:11:01 »
New guy here. I made fun of my brother-in-law becoming obsessed with mechanical keyboards and this website. Then I played with his Cherry Red Leopold. Now I have a mechanical keyboard inbound from Newegg and I have been cruising this site for a couple of days now.

I chose the Rosewill Cherry Blue that Newegg has on sale for $59. I don't game but I do type a decent amount (attorneys write a lot it turns out) so I am hoping this board will enhance my typing.

I also recently stumbled upon a cache of new in box Wyse WY85 terminal keyboards so I already have some new key caps to mix and match and play with. I have actually spent much of my time on this site the last few days researching just what the heck we had with those old Wyse boards. This site rocks. I hope at some point I am able to contribute.

So, that's what I got so far.

I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Mechanical keyboard virgin
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 23:11:58 »
Welcome to Geekhack! Good collection so far :)
I love Elzy

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 00:43:01 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

How appropriate, considering the thread title and type of keyboard switch you have chosen ;)

One contribution you could make is to share the Wyse love - a lot of people like those old keyboards.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 03:15:30 »
New guy here. I made fun of my brother-in-law becoming obsessed with mechanical keyboards and this website. Then I played with his Cherry Red Leopold. Now I have a mechanical keyboard inbound from Newegg

...so I am hoping this board will enhance my typing.

Haha what a hypocrite. Who's your brother-in-law that spends a lot of time on here?

It probably won't enhance your typing skills as much as the quality of the typing experience you get out of typing on a mechanical KB.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 08:47:56 »
His username is champloo. He is pretty new to the site as well. He decided to get a board a few months ago and then obsessed about which one. He would flounder back and forth on brand, switch type, etc. I would talk to him about it and I thought he was crazy. I had no idea there was so much to get into here.

I understand now why it was such a tough decision. I always thought of old clunky things like the old IBM keyboards when I thought of mechanical. Now I see there are lots of cool options.

I saw the multi-cam Filco and immediately wanted it. Maybe one day.... decided the Rosewill was more economical for now.
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline Champloo

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 10:51:29 »
I'm here all the time but I lurk more than I post  :)

Welcome to GeekHack!!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 15:13:02 »
It's amazing how much there actually is about keyboards - most people just do not realise.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ