Author Topic: Truly Ergonomic - First Impressions  (Read 24182 times)

Offline Tracer

Truly Ergonomic - First Impressions
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 09:25:26 »
Quote from: djcybermyth;532106
Ha!  Someone took the bait ;)
Resist I could not.

Quote from: djcybermyth;532106
Other than the few keys that you mentioned in your other post, how has your experience using this keyboard for programming work been (workflow switching between tabs, windows, number key positions, etc.)?

For me, I like that the number keys are shifted over one from standard layouts.  I always use the number row on keyboards rather than the 10 key, and find that my accuracy seems to be a little better.  The only number that I consistently miss is the 0 or the ( for some reason.

If the keyboard had a number pad, I would generally use that. On my thinkpad I would use the number row as I didn't generally switch to num lock mode. The TE has forced me to use the number row and I thank it for that. I find my overall typing speed has improved because I have to move my hands so much less. I agree though I get 0 and the () brackets screwed up a bit still. I also have to pause and think about where the [] keys are. Thankfully I got the 109 which allowed the ~ and -= keys to be in more of the correct location.

Remapping tab to the left shift location helped with the transition a lot. I don't know why, but the esc key position seems really far now. It's not actually, but because the TE promotes so much less hand movement it feels farther than a traditional board.

Now I just have to get used to not bottoming out on the keyboard. My finger joints are not to happy. I'm used to hammering the MS Ergos I normally go through. Which BTW I went back to try out. OMG.. I can't even imagine using that not. It feels so... ugh. Stiff and horrible.

Thankfully, Thinkpad keyboards are still the best notebook keyboards in existence.