Author Topic: Retro/vintage style key caps CURRENTLY available  (Read 7918 times)

Offline Encabulator

Retro/vintage style key caps CURRENTLY available
« on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 08:43:35 »
I've been slowly introducing my father to keyboards and hes starting to really like all the options you have.  Hes having some fun looking at all the old keyboards, either ones he remembers having as a kid (Commodore 64)  and some that are just really wacky. Currently he is liking the look of vintage keyboards that are super blocky/heavy with odd shaped keycaps, either SA style or square-with-a-circle-on-top profile. Of course it would be awesome to have the real thing to use as a keyboard but a lot of these older keyboards that aren't ps2 are super difficult to hook up to modern PCs.  I'm interested in building him a custom vintage style board but the main issue I've had so far is finding keycaps that would be interesting to him.  So my task for you guys is to help me find some either super wacky profile keycaps or a vintage sa style set that would be mx compatible.  It doesn't matter if they're actually vintage or not, they just need to look unique and not be super flashy. Sorry if there are any typos is this I'm writing really quickly and my computer is about to run out of battery ok bye.
relax bro.. no one will bite ur head off on geekhack.. this is not that kind of community...   hahahahahahaha

Though tp4 will personally chew you out if you start selling $60 orings.

Offline Tactile

Re: Retro/vintage style key caps CURRENTLY available
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 09:13:28 »
Here's a set of spherical keycaps which might be close to what you're looking for. I have a set and they are very nice, high quality keycaps. Make note, however, that they are not black/white but instead dark brown with ivory markings. I'd call the colors coffee & cream.
REΛLFORCE

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 22:29:49 »
Various "typewriter-style" keycaps are discussed in my thread here.

Ultimately I decided not to buy any, but perhaps they will suit your build.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline zslane

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 12:31:53 »
Here's a set of spherical keycaps which might be close to what you're looking for. I have a set and they are very nice, high quality keycaps. Make note, however, that they are not black/white but instead dark brown with ivory markings. I'd call the colors coffee & cream.

Indeed. Here's a photo of my Filco with these keycaps which shows how the color changes depending on the intensity of the light falling on them:

Offline A Future Pilot

• A Descentr
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 12:37:55 »
For the next 4 days, /dev/tty will be available: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-matt3o-devtty-custom-keycap-set

You won't get them till October though. :/
Here's the WW1 Flying Ace standing beside his Sopwith Camel

Offline Encabulator

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 16:52:15 »
For the next 4 days, /dev/tty will be available: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-matt3o-devtty-custom-keycap-set

You won't get them till October though. :/

I want those so bad but I have to resist
relax bro.. no one will bite ur head off on geekhack.. this is not that kind of community...   hahahahahahaha

Offline Encabulator

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 16:52:58 »

Indeed. Here's a photo of my Filco with these keycaps which shows how the color changes depending on the intensity of the light falling on them:

Show Image

How have you liked them so far?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 16:54:32 »
Keep an eye out for SA Retro sets.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline zslane

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 17:22:52 »

Show Image

They are SA, which I love, so naturally I think they are great. The font and legend placement aren't my favorite (I prefer vintage spherical legend style over IBM PC legend style), but they are probably the best way to get into SA keycaps for a reasonable price, and without having to wait countless months for them to be manufactured and shipped to you.

In my experience, that is largely a waste of time. I see one SA Retro set come up for sale per year, on average. And half the time it is some TKL or ISO format set that is useless to me (or anyone else who wants to fill out a full-size ANSI board).

Offline Encabulator

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 19:02:16 »

Show Image

They are SA, which I love, so naturally I think they are great. The font and legend placement aren't my favorite (I prefer vintage spherical legend style over IBM PC legend style), but they are probably the best way to get into SA keycaps for a reasonable price, and without having to wait countless months for them to be manufactured and shipped to you.

In my experience, that is largely a waste of time. I see one SA Retro set come up for sale per year, on average. And half the time it is some TKL or ISO format set that is useless to me (or anyone else who wants to fill out a full-size ANSI board).

Its odd, I'm reaching that point of loving keyboards so much that I'm debating weather to buy a new drawing tablet or a set of plastic buttons.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 20:25:49 »

Show Image

try pinging samwisekoi or matt3o
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Encabulator

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:27:03 »

Show Image

try pinging samwisekoi or matt3o

I really doubt anyone has SA retro. Are we sure that they aren't just an elaborate April fools joke that is still going on from 2015?

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 11:40:41 »
Has anyone with that Filco coffee and cream set attempted to remove the costar mounts from them yet? I've been thinking about picking up a set myself but the board I want them for has cherry stabs.

Offline zslane

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 11:45:14 »
I've not tried it yet, but the stabilizer inserts are reportedly pretty easy to pull out of the Filco SA set. The adhesive used is impermanent.

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 19:23:53 »
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I'll give them a shot soon then.