Author Topic: My dream keyboard  (Read 2172 times)

Offline judelaw

My dream keyboard
« on: Wed, 05 January 2022, 13:17:15 »
Good evening everyone!
First of all thank you very much for for letting me register in your forum.

I'm a newbie in keyboards, yet I have a dream keyboard that I'm trying to find for many years :

The keyboard has to have ALL these features :

-Efficient very long lasting wireless that you're not bothered with. One with the logitech dongle thing should be cool.
-Beige look from the 80's /90's (what I righteously consider to be a NORMAL look for a keyboard).
-No flat keys, keys with limited height such as the ones on the logitech k340 would be fine though.
-No fancy puke like rgb or gaming scifi design, no lights, not even a tinny led whasoever to say something is on anywhere.
-Azerty layout
-At least 3cm (1.2inch) bezel on the bottom of the space bar.
-Not ridiculously heavy.
-Fully compatible with my old usb2 windows7 computer that has no wifi and no bluetooth.

So do you think my dream could be achieved or will it be complicated ?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: My dream keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 January 2022, 22:24:29 »
The only wireless I trust, is Logitech (Microsoft if you include bluetooth, but that's not good for gaming).
No one has perfected wireless anywhere close to hoe they have. Just how it is. As such that pretty much destroys the rest of your entire list as Logitech hasn't made a beige board like that in a while. In fact, pretty much no one has in a while. Wireless mechanicals are pretty new, industry-wise so your options for wireless by itself is extremely limiting, most people simply just don't use it.

Wanting azerty makes things even more difficult.

Wireless needs electronics and a battery, it's going to be heavy.

You're gong to have to pare down that list if you have any hope of finding something.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline TheMastermind

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 12:33:04 »
If you're willing to build your own board and should try space saving PCBs. You can get a "nice!60" and not bother with the lighting. But as Leslieann mentioned, hitting all those checkmarks on the list might prove a challenge. Good Luck and welcome to the hobby! :thumb:

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 16:35:48 »
Making it yourself could be a god idea or a very costly one.
If you build it you can hit every one of those marks, this is true but how long and how much money it takes can vary greatly from person to person.

If you have no design/engineering/tools/electronics experience and expect others to fill in those blanks it can be a long and possibly quite expensive process.
It doesn't matter if it's plastic, metal, wired or wireless... One-off manufacturing is not cheap. If you have to pay someone to make anything it's going to get expensive REALLY, REALLY fast. It's often cheaper to buy a 3d printer and learn to do it yourself than to pay someone to make it for you, in fact it can be so expensive that buying a 3d printer just for testing designs before going to have someone make the final one can even save you hundreds of dollars more than you spent on the printer.

On the other hand, if you have a 3d printer...
3d printed keyboards can actually sound better than common plastic keyboards (mine does) if built using different construction methods (which they need) and you use the right plastic (PET), see my 3d printed 65% for some tips on this if you're interested. They can even be much lighter, probably enough to offset a wireless system! Best of all it CAN be done CHEAP and any layout you want. With a bit of effort you could even re-use a Logitech controller and battery, getting a great wireless system as well, hitting all OPs points, and even surpassing them by being lighter than almost any other wireless keyboard.

Few people here have all of the skills in necessary to pull something like this in their portfolio and this is far from an overnight project. This will probably take weeks and dozens if not hundreds of hours of your time to pull off but everything needed to do so is available online.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline jennyluce

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 January 2022, 00:33:08 »
 I want to create my own keyboard which show what is your current speed and also displays the last typing speed
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 January 2022, 00:35:18 by jennyluce »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 January 2022, 08:24:54 »
I want to create my own keyboard which show what is your current speed and also displays the last typing speed
Pretty sure someone made a version of QMK that can display current speed.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More