Author Topic: Salt  (Read 3230 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Salt
« on: Sat, 28 January 2023, 10:34:13 »
You guys ever eat so much salt in 1 meal, and think, oh god, I think I'm having heart palpitations..

new batch of pickled gai-vegetable just finished, ate about a fist full.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Salt
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 January 2023, 10:51:10 »
Water + Potassium
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 January 2023, 15:42:55 »
isn't potassium also usually in the form of salt ?

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 January 2023, 15:44:30 »
that's a lot of salt to eat
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 January 2023, 15:57:14 »

potassium also usually in the form of salt

Table salt is sodium chloride. Sea salt is better but not the entire solution.

The body needs both sodium and potassium in roughly equivalent amounts, but we tend to get much more sodium than potassium in modern diets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4MFnrMpzBA
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 January 2023, 16:00:32 »

potassium also usually in the form of salt

Table salt is sodium chloride. Sea salt is better but not the entire solution.

The body needs both sodium and potassium in roughly equivalent amounts, but we tend to get much more sodium than potassium in modern diets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4MFnrMpzBA
solution: consume banana
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 January 2023, 05:04:04 »
Water + Potassium
Exactly, or low-sodium salt. That's already got the proportions adjusted to compensate.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 03:13:55 »
When we are in the subject of salt and its unhealthyness, which salt do you guys use for your cooking?
Which low-sodium would you suggest?
I've read that Himalayan pink salt is better. Are there better options?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 03:57:18 »
I've read that Himalayan pink salt is better.
Why on Earth would you say that? Oo

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 08:41:13 »

Why on Earth would you say that?

I read that too. The impurities that make it pink will obviously change the flavor and nutrition profiles.

Bought some and it is very good, but I don't use it because it has (a very small amount of) grit in it that is unpleasant when I chomp down on it.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 10:13:23 »

I read that too. The impurities that make it pink will obviously change the flavor and nutrition profiles.

Bought some and it is very good, but I don't use it because it has (a very small amount of) grit in it that is unpleasant when I chomp down on it.
Well sure, but what is "better"? Tastier, healthier, makes for easier cooking, etc? In any case, all your're doing is adding trace impurities to your dish. The amounts are so low that it'd be difficult to defend a genuinely noticeable effect, I think. You may as well just sprinkle some rust into your dish and save on expensive salt.

Offline phinix

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 10:37:57 »
Based on sodium levels compared to regular table salt.
Table salt contains 2360 milligrams of sodium per teaspoon, whereas a teaspoon of Himalayan pink salt contains 1680 milligrams of sodium.
That is what I've read.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline phinix

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 10:38:57 »

Well sure, but what is "better"? Tastier, healthier, makes for easier cooking, etc? In any case, all your're doing is adding trace impurities to your dish. The amounts are so low that it'd be difficult to defend a genuinely noticeable effect, I think. You may as well just sprinkle some rust into your dish and save on expensive salt.

I have no idea, if its tastier, never used it.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 11:07:16 »
Based on sodium levels compared to regular table salt.
Table salt contains 2360 milligrams of sodium per teaspoon, whereas a teaspoon of Himalayan pink salt contains 1680 milligrams of sodium.
That is what I've read.
That sounds like it's had potassium added to it, frankly. In any case, it's the same sodium reduction as what you get with ordinary low-sodium salt; no magic pinkness needed.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 11:26:23 »

a teaspoon of Himalayan pink salt contains 1680 milligrams of sodium.

no magic pinkness

My Himalayan salt is very coarse, whereas table salt is fine, so the overall product mass of a spoonful might be less.

I once visited Hawaii and was surprised to see dramatically different colors of sand beaches, one quite orange-red, another very black, etc, I was startled to see anything outside the narrow beige-to-tan spectrum that I was accustomed to.

Significant chemical differences from place to place seem pretty natural.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 14:24:16 »
I like to have a side of food with my serving of salt.