Author Topic: IBM PC XT Model F vs Model M  (Read 3029 times)

Offline dellmodelm

IBM PC XT Model F vs Model M
« on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 13:30:14 »
I'm a Model M owner (mid-'90s Lexmark), and own and use a swath of other mechanicals and rubber domes.

The M is in like-new shape, but the keys are stiff and quite heavy compared to any of my mechanicals. To that end, I've started looking at other keyboards. With a max budget of $250 (all-in including shipping and taxes), I've narrowed my choices down to:

--an IBM XT Model F, used but like new with soarer's converter. Seller says he doesn't like the function row being on the left (I'm waiting for the seller to get back to me on a question about the foam),

or,

--a 1986 Model M, 1390131, has been bolt modded and seller says keys are lighter than a 1990s Lexmark M.

Both boards look super clean and generally "nice" from the photos. The F still has all the cork feet and side handle things intact.

Assuming these boards function as intended (without additional modding required), which of these would be the better buy? I'm not so much a hobbyist as someone trying to find a daily driver that I'll actually like, for work-from-home applications.

My main PC is a later Intel with a PS/2 port, so generally I just buy PS/2 keyboards (or those with soarer's converters), plug-in and go.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 January 2023, 13:43:38 by dellmodelm »

Offline Tactile

Re: IBM PC XT Model F vs Model M
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 14:05:26 »
If you can tolerate the oddball layout of the XT board, a Model F is a nicer typing experience than a Model M.  Is it lighter? I don't know. I'm just not as sensitive to that, I guess, and don't pay attention. I've owned a lot of Model M, and like them a lot. I have at least three right now. The typing is great and that modern layout gives them an edge. But my Model F is nicer to type on, without doubt.
295763-0
REΛLFORCE

Offline dellmodelm

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 15:16:11 »
That's something to think about. What kind of keyboard is that in your photo?

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 15:28:08 »
That's something to think about. What kind of keyboard is that in your photo?
That's a 122 key Model F. These were originally IBM terminal keyboards. Soarer's converter works great in these.

fohat.digs, here on the forum, is an expert on these 122 key Model F. I think he even knows how to modify them to a "regular" enter key instead of the vertical. For one example, check out this thread.

Just a bit of trivia: these weigh more than eight pounds.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 January 2023, 15:33:13 by Tactile »
REΛLFORCE

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 20:03:58 »

this thread.

NO !  NO !  NO !

How did you ever even find that abomination? I thought that I had killed it and deprecated it MANY years ago!

The better realistic version is:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48786.msg1048948#msg1048948
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Tactile

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 20:11:22 »
Ha Ha

Well, I think the OP can get some ideas of what is possible, even if he doesn't want to get that deep in the weeds.

I really don't know what an F122 costs today, or how hard they are to find.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 31 January 2023, 10:45:21 »
XT layout is too weird for me, and I don't mind typing with the AT layout exclusively for weeks straight.

F122 often sells for $500+ on Ebay these days, more than the 4704 reproductions.

F AT routinely sells for less than the $250 budget and is the bare minimum usable layout for most people.

There need to be modern budget F reproductions in the same vein as Unicomp so the barrier to entry for capacitive buckling spring isn't so ridiculous, since it is so much nicer than membrane buckling spring.

Fs are definitely a good deal lighter than Ms, although it seems some force graphs suggest otherwise. I couldn't daily drive an M at all when I was still accustomed to the typical anemic MX weightings and I could easily transition to an F.

Offline dellmodelm

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 31 January 2023, 19:12:02 »
Someone told me XT's are better built/more solid than AT's, but I have no way to verify that.

I'm not inclined to get a repro F, although some folks have suggested it. My main concern being budget.

I'm also looking at a Unicomp Mini M someone is selling on Facebook Marketplace, but not sure if a TKL would meet my needs.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 31 January 2023, 19:41:21 »
Model F XTs have a metal case bottom attached with screws, as does the 122-key terminal, while the F AT has a case that snaps together and you feel certain that you are going to break it each time that you crack it apart, but somehow you don't.

That makes the XT the strongest and most rigid of the group. The 122-key terminal is similarly built but is simply much bigger and, of necessity, more flexible.

The differences are real but negligible, similar to complaints in the Model M world that the earlier ones are better than the later ones. That is true, but essentially trivial.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"