Author Topic: Need a split mechanical keyboard: what options do I have?  (Read 24709 times)

Offline dotancohen

• Dotan Cohen
Need a split mechanical keyboard: what options do I have?
« on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 12:39:26 »
Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade from rubber domes to a mechanical keyboard. The problem is finding a split keyboard design, the standard design hurts my wrists and forearms after extended use.

I have looked at the Kinesis Contoured however it requires the use of the thumbs, and my right thumb does not work. The Truly Ergonomic looked good, but mine has been on order for four months and I've now requested my money back.

So, what other mechanical split keyboards are out there?

Thanks!

Offline gilgam

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 12:46:51 »
uTron

expensive topre switches
http://www.personal-media.co.jp/utronkb/
Realforce 105 FR, HHKB Pro 2 black, 1 Raptor K1 Black Cherry and 1 Raptor K1 Red Cherry , Compag MX 11800  tBrown Cherry, G80-3000 Clear Cherry , G80-1000 Blue Cherry / Ghetto red, Lexmark 1992 SSK Buckling spring, Unicomp 2011 Customizer 102 Buckling spring
and a few rubber dome/scissors keyboards from Apple/Logitech

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 13:07:45 »
The uTron has a layout that requires some practice to get familiar with it. Also if you ever want to use a keyboard with a standard layout, I'd guess it'd be harder again. HaaTa could probably tell you more about the uTron if you PM'd him, since he actually owns and I think uses one himself.

A bit of offtopic here, but I really hope you can actually get your money back from that Truly Ergonomic deal.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 13:54:07 »
The µTron was designed for use with the thumbs, but you don't need to use them. It is ridiculously expensive, but not only is it more ergonomic than ordinary QWERTY keyboards and has mechanical Topre switches, it is also one of the most good-looking keyboards ever ... and insanely cool.

The Kinesis Freestyle is a rubber dome. Fully split into two distinct pieces.

The Goldtouch is widely available. It is a high-quality rubber dome keyboard that has an adjustable ball that holds the two halves together. You can adjust the angles between the two halves and lock them in place. Laying flat, the two halves are separated by an inch. There is both an older and a newer version with slightly different layout for Home/End/PgUp/PgDown and comes in either (yellowish) white or black.
Although it is not split into two distinct pieces, it is certainly possible to screw it apart and remove the locking mechanism. That could give you a little bit more hand-separation. If you want more, then you would have to mod it with a new cable but unfortunately, each little wire is soldered separately (at least they were on my early version).
Even without any mods it is much better than any Microsoft "Natural" keyboard. The keys can be a bit noisy though compared to other rubber dome keyboards.

Edit: The FreeStyle has a SRP at $99, and the GoldTouch at $129, but the GoldTouch is much cheaper on the second-hand market. Sorry about the confusion earlier.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 February 2011, 02:43:00 by Findecanor »

Offline cbf123

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 13:59:38 »
Quote from: Findecanor;299434
The Kinesis Freestyle is an expensive rubber dome. Fully split into two distinct pieces.

The Goldtouch is widely available and for a reasonable price.

Around here the Goldtouch and Freestyle are basically the same price once you add in the VIP accessory for the Freestyle.
Daily drivers are:
Microsoft Natural (the original, and still going strong)
Microsoft Natural Elite

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 14:00:19 »
There are a lot of people who come here looking for split mechanical keyboards because of RSI issues, and end up using normal layout keyboards without the pain. In my expert opinion of someone who knows jack **** about ergomagics, things like how you sit at your computer, and the height of your monitor and keyboard and stuff are more important than having a split design.

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 14:08:18 »
I'm selling a Reveal KB-7061 in the classifieds section. $95, white Alps switches, split layout, double shot keycaps.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline kill will

• http://www.jerseyshoredailies.com
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 14:11:41 »
i would recommend kb 7001 i think its called.
I <3 BS

Offline shrap

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 February 2011, 01:13:11 »
I've been using a Northgate Omnikey Evolution, which I believe has Alps. It's a fixed split board but with no tenting. Out of production, but also with low demand, so it's cheaper than you might think.

There's a review (not mine) here: http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:4408

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 February 2011, 01:30:11 »
Kinesis evolution.
Data Hand.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline urlwolf

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 24 February 2011, 10:00:28 »
keyboards: Cherry G80-3494- cherry reds | filco majestytouch - cherry browns | kinesis contour - cherry browns | cherry G80 - 1800 cherry blacks.
mice: filco touchpad | logitech G9x | wowpen joy | kensington orbit trackball | zalman fpsgun | intellimouse v1 | logitech rx1500

Offline jpc

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 24 February 2011, 13:21:51 »
Could you use a Kinesis Contoured with mappings?

capslock    ->  backspace
backspace ->  space
delete(?)  -> enter

Then maybe use chording to get a 'delete', maybe shift+insert or something?

I keep trying to hit space with my left thumb on the Kinesis and am tempted to just map it.

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline firestorm

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 24 February 2011, 14:47:02 »
FWIW, I used a Microsoft Natural keyboard from 1994 through Jan 2010.  I could feel a big difference between that and the cheap rubber dome keyboards I always used at work.  I now have a Filco (brown) at home and a Dell AT101W at work.  I notice far more issues from using the mouse all day (and I'm a heavy KB shortcut user, i.e. minimized mouse use) than from typing on these keyboards.  I find that I have less of a tendency to bottom out the keys, mashing the keys less often, which I think is a big factor.

I've never had serious RSI, just mild inflammation.  If you're at all similar, it may be worth trying a traditional layout.

Offline rantenki

• http://armyofevilrobots.com/
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 February 2011, 16:44:59 »
Quote from: jpc;300374
Could you use a Kinesis Contoured with mappings?

capslock    ->  backspace
backspace ->  space
delete(?)  -> enter

Then maybe use chording to get a 'delete', maybe shift+insert or something?

I keep trying to hit space with my left thumb on the Kinesis and am tempted to just map it.

That was my problem too; remapping fixed :)

Offline Tony

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 27 February 2011, 03:26:15 »
Along with an ergonomic keyboard, a modern keyboard layout (Colemak, Dvorak, Arensito, Maltron) should be considered.

An ergonomic keyboard cares about your wrist angle, i.e. your wrists, and modern keyboard layout cares about your typing efficiency, finger travel etc, i.e. your fingers.

Both are ergonomic, but in different ways.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 February 2011, 03:28:22 by Tony »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 27 February 2011, 23:21:03 »
For me personally, a split keyboard is non-negotiable, and is the biggest factor (I modded a Kinesis Contour with an integrated trackpoiont and a Colemak layout).  But as ch_123 made reference to, ergonomics is a bigger picture, so be sure to consider all aspects. There are a lot of options.

My new bookkeeper (who is a 70-80wpm typist) has very recently been having right wrist issues. She borrowed a Kinesis Freestyle and RollerMouse Free that I have, and her wrist is better after less than a month.

Or, you could try one of these (I just got one and really like it, the easiest typing I have ever done):

http://www.alphagrips.com/features.html
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 February 2011, 23:23:08 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline dotancohen

• Dotan Cohen
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 19:06:16 »
Thanks for all the info. The uTron looks great, but at $500 I just cannot afford it.

@ch_123: Thanks for the advice regarding posture. I assure you that adjusting my posture was the first step in trying to make my keyboarding healthier!

@Phaedrus2129: I'll take a look at that listing, thanks. I am unfamiliar with that keyboard.

I have looked at the Kinesis and clones despite them being quite expensive for me. I do not think that I could use that without my thumb. I would have to sit down and try one first.

Offline dotancohen

• Dotan Cohen
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 19:08:09 »
@Tony: I have looked at the Colemak layout and might just adopt it. We'll see, thanks.

Offline Tony

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 23:41:14 »
@dotancohen: You're welcome.

For anyone who don't know about alternative modern layouts other than Qwerty, here a few pictures

Colemak

Dvorak

Capewell

Arensito
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline bluecar5556

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 05:44:11 »
Split Kinesis Contour Classic (advantage) keyboard mod