geekhack Community > Keyboards

Desktop keyboards with a pointing stick - still in production?

(1/7) > >>

Warm Woolly Sheep:
After developing pain and numbness on my right hand and wrist, I found that constant switching from home-row to mouse aggravated the symptoms.  

I then bought the IBM UltraNav Keyboard for desktops, started using its trackpoint, and the pain stopped. I still used a mouse, just not nearly as often, and was perfectly happy until....

Earlier this week I spilled a glass of water on my keyboard.  R.I.P. little trackpoint.  I jumped online to find the Ultranav for desktops is no longer in production - though amazon does have a decent sale on it right now, probably dumping the last of its stock.  I decided to look elsewhere because I was never truly happy with the ultranav, it ignored my spacebar presses just like it's thinkpad brother, and I was hoping to find something better online.  

After hours of searching, this was all I could find that's still being made:

Lenovo's ThinkPad Travel Keyboard

Unicomp's Endurapro

(which I ordered)

EDIT:
I've made a list of pointing stick keyboards for desktops here:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=402
Feel free to contribute!

IBI:
You might be able to find an ergonomic keyboard with some sort of pointing device in the middle of the split (trackball, touchpad, joystick etc.), I don't know of any with trackpoints though.

iMav:

--- Quote from: Warm Woolly Sheep;3926 ---Am I missing any?  To make matters worse, I'm a gamer, and I need least 5-key rollover - which I hear won't happen on the Endurapro.  I doubt my dream keyboard exists.
--- End quote ---

That's all I know of.  I own the Endurapro and like it quite a bit.

Tell us what, specific, 5-key combinations you need and I'll give them a try on my Endurapro.

Warm Woolly Sheep:

--- Quote from: IBI;3929 ---You might be able to find an ergonomic keyboard with some sort of pointing device in the middle of the split (trackball, touchpad, joystick etc.), I don't know of any with trackpoints though.
--- End quote ---

I was at the store yesterday and I saw an ergonomic keyboard with something in the middle, I looked closer and it was a toggle switch for zoom.

--- Quote from: iMav;3931 ---
Tell us what, specific, 5-key combinations you need and I'll give them a try on my Endurapro.
--- End quote ---

Thank you!  Shift, W, 3, R, Space.  That's rare though, I could get by with 4.

Also, I found another one!

Samsung Q1/Q1 Ultra External USB Keyboard

(the trackpoint is hard to see, it's black)

iMav:

--- Quote from: Warm Woolly Sheep;3937 ---Thank you!  Shift, W, 3, R, Space.  That's rare though, I could get by with 4.
--- End quote ---

My Model M mini does just fine (shows "RW# " on the rollover page).  Let me go grab my Endurapro . . . . .

Same with the Endurapro ("W#R " on the rollover page).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version