Author Topic: Fantastic Model M deal - requires massive Geek cooperation  (Read 12428 times)

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
Re: Fantastic Model M deal - requires massive Geek cooperation
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 17:54:31 »
Just got mine today. The layout is definitely gonna take some getting used to, especially dat left shift
Yeah it's throwing me off a bit,and the numpad screws me up too - I keep hitting numlock instead of "/". I am definitely enjoying my first buckling spring experience however  ^-^
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 22:41:26 »
Just got mine today. The layout is definitely gonna take some getting used to, especially dat left shift
Yeah it's throwing me off a bit,and the numpad screws me up too - I keep hitting numlock instead of "/". I am definitely enjoying my first buckling spring experience however  ^-^

Yay for BS! :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 23:17:49 »
Got mine working, was amusing. Loving the buckling spring feel. Will compare to MX Greens once my QF TKL comes in. For now, it's definitely more fun to type on than my MX Browns and MX Blues. My RF101 at work is fun and quieter, but the M is really enjoyable at home.
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline orihalcon

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 23:36:17 »

It is possible ti ANSIfy these.

Definitely could change the layout to be ANSI during a bolt mod, but you might have to do the remapping in software rather than hardware.  The key that I also have the biggest issue with is the blank key between Left Shift and Z, which is the <> key in ISO.  Luckily for that one, if you were to do a bolt mod, the regular ANSI Left Shift Key uses the normal shift spring there, and the <> slot would just have a stabilizer there, so no remapping would be required for Left Shift at least.

First thing I thought of for remapping would be to use a Soarer's Converter, but it turns out that these are not PS/2 backwards compatible over the stock USB cable.  The controller actually has several ports on it, so one of those may output PS/2, which would be supported by a Soarer's converter.  Will be looking into seeing if I can figure anything out about the other ports hopefully tomorrow.

Pretty optimistic that one of them will output PS/2 since Unicomp does make a PC122 key PS/2 keyboard (though could just be that they use a different controller on those):
http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/PC122/UB40T56

If one of the 4 pin headers turns out to be PS/2, you could just move the original USB cable to that and wire a USB female adapter on the USB end to work with it, or use a Soarer's converter like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301452854832 , or just solder a USB female cable segment or cut the original cable USB end and solder directly to a Teensy, or just solder directly to the controller.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 February 2015, 23:47:24 by orihalcon »