Author Topic: make a 60% keyboard - list of recommended suppliers  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Giorgio

make a 60% keyboard - list of recommended suppliers
« on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 12:32:31 »
I'm trying to put together a list of parts to build a 60% keyboard, which is proving to be quite hard.
There are not so many good options or simply they are quite difficult to find....
Maybe that we could make a thread with all the recommended parts???

For example, thanks to you, I've found that the pcb by gon and winkeyless are good, with the gon being more recommended.
But now I have to choose an iso 60% plate with cutouts, which does not seem to be available anywhere..... any suggestions??

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
make a 60% keyboard - list of recommended suppliers
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 12:38:32 »
Use Swill's plate tool to design it and bigbluesaw to cut it in your material of choice.

Actually you could do the plate and bottom with spacers in between and you wouldn't need a case.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Giorgio

Re: make a 60% keyboard - list of recommended suppliers
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 05:41:11 »
I was wondering why there are only a few people who build their keyboards... now I know...
At this point, the only difficulty that can be added, is building your own switch :-!

Offline Applet

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 13:02:57 »
You can buy universal 60% plates (w. ISO-support) from GON. Personally I think 60% is fine without a plate (PCB-mounted switches and stabs), you will have to use PCB-mounted stabs with the universal plate anyway.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 08:10:45 »
You'll need:

- PCB
- Plate
- Stabilizers
- Diodes (SMD or Through Hole)
- LEDs (If you want them and the PCB takes them)
- Switches
- Keycaps
- Hardware (screws, bolts, etc)

And I'm assuming you've got the basic soldering setup (soldering iron, solder, solder sucker). I've got a Hakko 936, Kester 60/30 solder (I forget the diameter), and a Hakko 808 and Soldapult.

- PCB you've sourced from GON.
- Plates can be tricky. They're not regularly stocked anywhere. You can either cut your own through a service like BigBlueSaw or another shop near you. If you're in Europe, I suggest contacting Matt3o as he's got a contact which will cut plates for him.
- Stabilizers are also tricky. I've harvested mine off old Cherry boards and bought some from Mouser. The issue is finding the 6.25x and 7x wires. I suggest hunting the classifieds or finding old Cherry boards to harvest from.
- Diodes and LEDs I get from Mouser and/or eBay.
- Switches I buy from Mechanicalkeyboards.com, harvest from old boards, or buy from GB/classifieds
- Keycaps I get from old boards or GBs
- Hardware hopefully comes with your keyboard kits but the local hardware store should be able to hook you up

Plenty of people build their own DIY keyboard kits. I think you need to look a little harder since not all of them are contact in MST. People do keyboard builds the keyboards or media subforum as well. I put my KMAC build log in the media subforum for example.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 08:13:37 »
I was wondering why there are only a few people who build their keyboards... now I know...
At this point, the only difficulty that can be added, is building your own switch :-!

The reason a lot of people don't try and design keyboards is because it's highly cost prohibitive. Unless you have a great design and a lot of 3d modeling skills it can be tough to get everything lined up for a good group buy.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 06:02:38 »
The reason a lot of people don't try and design keyboards is because it's highly cost prohibitive. Unless you have a great design and a lot of 3d modeling skills it can be tough to get everything lined up for a good group buy.

The parts aren't so expensive, the real problem is that you have to source them from all around the world: delivery is what makes the keyboard really expensive.

These are the prices for a 60% build:
pcb with controller $50
stabilizers $10
cherry switches $30
case $50
keycaps $20-$100

total $160

You'll need:

Thanks Captain, I will look the log.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 06:05:19 »
Well if it's a layer case it may be that kind of cost. But if you want to prototype a CNC case it can be upwards of $300