Author Topic: [Aero Keys] Making Keycaps  (Read 59231 times)

Offline Raenbo

• IG: @aero_keys
[Aero Keys] Making Keycaps
« on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 03:29:41 »
CURRENT PROJECT: Color testing & Topre Stuff

Hello! Over this summer break, my cousin and I decided to try out crafting our own keys. He wanted to make Topre blanks, and I was interested in making artisans. But before we fully commit to the project, we had to have some ideas. So I started sculpting...

Just the ideas I threw out to see if I could actually make a good design.

142938-0

The third and fourth sculpts were what we figured we wanted to make caps of. The MechaShark and the Rose. Once we decided we were ready, we had to gather supplies and materials for resin casting and mold making. It wasn't cheap, but we got some Oomoo 30 for the silicone mold and Alumilte Water Clear for the resin. Also a paint tank that we converted into a pressure pot. Thankfully my dad already had an air compressor in the garage. I think our total cost came to about $300 for everything, including tools and colorants.

142940-1

So, we made our molds of the caps following many guides and how-to videos. We wanted to do this right, and minimize wasting materials.

142942-2

I swear we took more pictures... We wanted to document our trials but I think we got too excited during the process and forgot to take lots of pics.

Anyways, our molds came out pretty good. Once we tested the molds, we decided to dive right in to coloring the resin and curing it under pressure. Our first cast went a little like this...

142944-3142946-4

I'd like to consider them a success. They can use some work, as the stem is loose for the rose, and sometimes the Topre cap gets stuck to the keyboard. We definitely need to refine our methods and make better molds. But so far, everything is going great with our caps. In the meantime, we are experimenting with a variety of colorants. Waiting is the hardest part, as it takes hours for the Alumilite to fully cure.

Eventually, we'd like to release our caps into the wild world. We came up with calling ourselves "Aero Key." Just a play on words, and our logo is gonna look something like this wing

142950-5

Also sorry if the format of this post is weird. First time making a topic here. Hello everyone!

« Last Edit: Mon, 07 November 2016, 01:32:54 by Raenbo »

Marshal

Re: Summer Project: Aero Keys (crafting keycaps)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 02:04:55 »
Hello all, here for an update on our progress with cap making! Currently our artisans are only MX and our Blanks are only Topre but we're working towards having both available. Here is what we have so far and we'd like as much feedback as possible, hoping to get some support from others. Thanks a lot  :D

Edit: Have to apologize about all the photos on this page and for the awfully dusty laptop that I took the photos on.

143040-0 143042-1

143044-2 143046-3

143048-4 143050-5 143052-6

143424-7
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 July 2016, 23:47:12 by Marshal »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 12:43:28 »
And here I post!

I really like the rose and shark ones, but I'm not a fan of the super translucent materials in the finished caps. Makes them harder to see the details.
Would really like to see some opaque versions.  :thumb:

Offline Raenbo

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 13:47:03 »
And here I post!

I really like the rose and shark ones, but I'm not a fan of the super translucent materials in the finished caps. Makes them harder to see the details.

Yeah we're working on getting more variations of color. Right now, our dyes only come out translucent. We're looking into getting white pigment to make opaque colors. Thanks for your feedback :)

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 14:45:33 »
And here I post!

yeah cant see details on them mechashark

WTF any Bruce, Cosmonauts

Offline Raenbo

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 13:37:25 »
Welp, that just happened.  :'(

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 14:59:53 »
Welp, that just happened.  :'(

He didn't want to let go.

Offline Raenbo

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 19:09:21 »
Some progress we made today! Gonna take a little break cuz I'm headed to SD Comic Con  :p 

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 20:38:43 »
Some progress we made today! Gonna take a little break cuz I'm headed to SD Comic Con 

Marvelous!
How do they feel when you press them? I notice there's no flat surface. Do you bop the nose?

Offline Raenbo

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 20:59:58 »
Some progress we made today! Gonna take a little break cuz I'm headed to SD Comic Con 

Marvelous!
How do they feel when you press them? I notice there's no flat surface. Do you bop the nose?

They press down just like any key! I usually just hit the shark on the lower jaw, but bopping the nose works too :) He might look menacing, but he won't take a bite out of you, maybe just a nibble heh.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 03:41:22 »
Hello all, here for an update on our progress with cap making! Currently our artisans are only MX and our Blanks are only Topre but we're working towards having both available. Here is what we have so far and we'd like as much feedback as possible, hoping to get some support from others. Thanks a lot  :D

Edit: Have to apologize about all the photos on this page and for the awfully dusty laptop that I took the photos on.

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
That looks really great! Some of those blanks are fantastic.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 17:38:01 »
heyyy posting here so i get notifications!

also thank you for starcluster blanks, i'm going to post them when i receive them! <3

Offline Kenda

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 02:55:14 »
Love the mecha shark. Keep up the work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 03:37:08 »
Nice and clean sculpting work!  :thumb:
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 04:23:50 »
Beautiful work guys. If I should note anything I would maybe say that Booper has already made a shark and HWS has made an owl, so maybe you should come up with your own designs of something else.

But really beautiful sculpting and casting work! Love it  :thumb:

Offline Raenbo

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 09:23:17 »
Thanks for all the kind words! They get me motivated to keep trying and making more caps :)

Beautiful work guys. If I should note anything I would maybe say that Booper has already made a shark and HWS has made an owl, so maybe you should come up with your own designs of something else.

Yeah, we decided not to cast the owl and shark for that reason, but they were good for getting the basics of sculpting down.

So the MechaShark and the Rose are our main focus right now, along with the Topre blanks.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I could sculpt, feel free to leave them here :)

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 09:45:08 »
the squid

WTF any Bruce, Cosmonauts

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 09:51:28 »
Damn that Mechashark :eek:  Really smooth sculpts guys

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 12:50:56 »
Thanks for all the kind words! They get me motivated to keep trying and making more caps :)

Yeah, we decided not to cast the owl and shark for that reason, but they were good for getting the basics of sculpting down.

So the MechaShark and the Rose are our main focus right now, along with the Topre blanks.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I could sculpt, feel free to leave them here :)

I will post ideas when I get them, you guys are seriously already making HQ caps! <3

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 13:06:45 »

i would suggest something low profile to match cherry and topre profiles!

and tbh re: shark, i think you should continue casting it anyways. sharks weren't copyrighted, you can still make it.

yours is different/looks cooler imo anyways. no offense to booper.

like ppl still make skulls/reapers even though they've been done. just my 2 cents.

maybe you can make a sick elephant cap?

Offline Raenbo

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 23:07:50 »
Elephants have always been on my list of ideas, but could never think of a nice way of getting all of its features to fit nicely on a cap.. But life, uh, finds a way.. :cool:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 23:12:34 »
Elephants have always been on my list of ideas, but could never think of a nice way of getting all of its features to fit nicely on a cap.. But life, uh, finds a way.. :cool:

You would have to tuck in the ears and wrap the trunk around.

BlueNalgene made a few, but they were giveaways for his GB.

Offline Kenda

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 23:54:55 »

My opinion, shark and owl are good to work with as long as their designs are different. Just because someone made something similar before and others can't make it is too extreme

Marshal

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 00:54:41 »

My opinion, shark and owl are good to work with as long as their designs are different. Just because someone made something similar before and others can't make it is too extreme

Yeah that's what I was saying. They're really cool designs and the HWS Owl is insanely hard to find which makes it suck for people who really like owls or the design and won't be able to get their hands on any. The same with the Booper Bruce, it's a struggle for people who don't have good caps to trade to get their hands on such great caps and I think that every Artisan has their own sculpting style. Even with blanks, there aren't many that are identical from different makers and shows how unique each Artisan is.

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 02:44:49 »

Yeah that's what I was saying. They're really cool designs and the HWS Owl is insanely hard to find which makes it suck for people who really like owls or the design and won't be able to get their hands on any. The same with the Booper Bruce, it's a struggle for people who don't have good caps to trade to get their hands on such great caps and I think that every Artisan has their own sculpting style. Even with blanks, there aren't many that are identical from different makers and shows how unique each Artisan is.

Disclaimer :)

I hope I don't come off as negative, because that is not my intention at all, I think this is great work and I really hope and encourage you guys to continue what you are doing, it's really great with new artisans and especially people who actually makes something that looks good! Let's just have a nice fun debate here :)

Now, I think you are getting a few points wrong there. 

First off, it is really not cool to make caps that are the same design as some of the OGs has made, and there's no reason to do so. I'm not saying that no one can make a skull cap because Clack did it, but something as unique as a shark or an owl is not okay imho. That owl looks way to much like HWS's Hoot. There are literally millions of things you can sculpt, so why pick something that a veteran has already made, and is a true gem to have in a collection.
That brings me to a second point I think you are getting up side down. The thing about artisans that makes them awesome is the fact that they are hand made, hard to get, collectibles. If you could go down to Wallmart and buy a Hoot keycap it would be worthless in a collectors community. If you start making caps that looks like other peoples designs you are undermining the very thing that the community love about keycaps. Originality and integrity is a key(get it?)stone here.
Look at the discussion that's going on in Binges right now. Someone posted a picture of a fake Keying keycap and Binge found out. It obviously hurt him and people did not like that at all. I've seen comments saying some really nasty stuff and there are a lot of people trying to find out who made it and where it came from.

That being said I absolutely love the work you've done, it looks like top quality and I can not wait to see what else you are going to make. I am really exited to see new people popping up making artisans, I think it's great for the community and I love all artisan makers here.

I was thinking yesterday, what is it that makes Binge, Bros and the like succesful?
I think one factor that drives some collectors are consistency. What I mean is that they have a handful of designs that they make in a variety of colors. That makes it very fun to collect and display. The Brobot V2, Skulthulu, Fugu and many others are a great testement to what people appreciate about it.
So my advice would be to figure out a sculpt that looks good with most other profiles (sa, dsa, gmk, ect) and find a way to make it a double shot/multi colored design. That way you will have endless possibilities of colorways and I think that's what the people want. You can always make new designs of course, and there's also the possibility of making a new design each sale, like KeyKollective has done, but it depends on what your goal of it is I suppose.

« Last Edit: Sat, 23 July 2016, 02:54:24 by GreyAmbience »

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 02:58:44 »
Just a quick side not also;

If you are considering an elephant as a model for a cap (which I think is a great idea), maybe you can dram some inspiration from the Indian half God Ganesha

There would probably be plenty of models to look at when sculpting and it's already know as RNGanesha (as opposed to RNGesus) during keycap raffles. 

I think it's a great idea actually

Marshal

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 03:00:56 »

I hope I don't come off as negative, because that is not my intention at all, I think this is great work and I really hope and encourage you guys to continue what you are doing, it's really great with new artisans and especially people who actually makes something that looks good! Let's just have a nice fun debate here :)

First off, it is really not cool to make caps that are the same design as some of the OGs has made, and there's no reason to do so. I'm not saying that no one can make a skull cap because Clack did it, but something as unique as a shark or an owl is not okay imho. That owl looks way to much like HWS's Hoot. There are literally millions of things you can sculpt, so why pick something that a veteran has already made, and is a true gem to have in a collection.
That brings me to a second point I think you are getting up side down. The thing about artisans that makes them awesome is the fact that they are hand made, hard to get, collectibles. If you could go down to Wallmart and buy a Hoot keycap it would be worthless in a collectors community. If you start making caps that looks like other peoples designs you are undermining the very thing that the community love about keycaps. Originality and integrity is a key(get it?)stone here.
Look at the discussion that's going on in Binges right now. Someone posted a picture of a fake Keying keycap and Binge found out. It obviously hurt him and people did not like that at all. I've seen comments saying some really nasty stuff and there are a lot of people trying to find out who made it and where it came from.

That being said I absolutely love the work you've done, it looks like top quality and I can not wait to see what else you are going to make. I am really exited to see new people popping up making artisans, I think it's great for the community and I love all artisan makers here.

I was thinking yesterday, what is it that makes Binge, Bros and the like succesful?
I think one factor that drives some collectors are consistency. What I mean is that they have a handful of designs that they make in a variety of colors. That makes it very fun to collect and display. The Brobot V2, Skulthulu, Fugu and many others are a great testement to what people appreciate about it.
So my advice would be to figure out a sculpt that looks good with most other profiles (sa, dsa, gmk, ect) and find a way to make it a double shot/multi colored design. That way you will have endless possibilities of colorways and I think that's what the people want. You can always make new designs of course, and there's also the possibility of making a new design each sale, like KeyKollective has done, but it depends on what your goal of it is I suppose.

I didn't realize that Sharks and Owls were extremely unique compared to skulls and the like. However, it is worth mentioning that the sculptor had never seen Booper's Bruce and Binge's Owl beforehand. He's a lot newer to the scene and showed no interest in artisans up until recently. The main reason why we didn't cast the owl and the other shark was because I told him they were way too similar. There was nothing in front of him that he was copying :P

Just wanted to clear that up. The owl was the first thing he sculpted and I immediately showed him the Binge cap and that was long before we had any materials/experience for casting. I agree that it's not okay to copy someone else's work but I mean that wasn't the purpose in the first place AND we never made the cast.

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 03:08:18 »

I didn't realize that Sharks and Owls were extremely unique compared to skulls and the like. However, it is worth mentioning that the sculptor had never seen Booper's Bruce and Binge's Owl beforehand. He's a lot newer to the scene and showed no interest in artisans up until recently. The main reason why we didn't cast the owl and the other shark was because I told him they were way too similar. There was nothing in front of him that he was copying

Just wanted to clear that up. The owl was the first thing he sculpted and I immediately showed him the Binge cap and that was long before we had any materials/experience for casting. I agree that it's not okay to copy someone else's work but I mean that wasn't the purpose in the first place AND we never made the cast.
Thanks for the info mate :) It seems to me that OPs are some really cool guys! I will do anything I can to support your work :)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 03:49:23 »
Great scupts and the perfect attitude to respecting other makers' work - your owl does look similar to Hoot and while sharks are not sacred and personally I think yours is cartoony enough to differentiate it from Booper's Bruce it is kinda similar so I can see why you dropped it.  Mecha Shark is unmistakably yours :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Marshal

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 03:56:56 »
I honestly don't do anything here, major props to my cousin. He's talented and I'm just here to tell him if something has been made yet or hasn't haha. Thanks for the kind words and we really appreciate the feedback.

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 07:10:06 »
i see a respectful and very talented sculptor and great caps will come out from this guy. i just cant wait  :thumb:
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline Raenbo

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 19:10:43 »
Glad to see so much interest and support for the caps here. I don't want to copy any other artists' caps, I want to focus on making my own unique designs. But I do agree that no one should be restrained from making something they really want to make.

Just a quick side not also;

If you are considering an elephant as a model for a cap (which I think is a great idea), maybe you can dram some inspiration from the Indian half God Ganesha
Show Image

There would probably be plenty of models to look at when sculpting and it's already know as RNGanesha (as opposed to RNGesus) during keycap raffles. 

I think it's a great idea actually

Thanks for that picture! It gives me a good base/ inspiration for making a sculpt of an elephant. It's definitely on my list of future projects.

Anyways, I'm back from San Diego, and I'm excited to get back to work. Right now, I want to focus on making more molds for the Mecha Shark, and re-creating the Rose in a better size and shape. Hopefully, I will have some cool stuff to show you guys by the end of this week :)

Marshal

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 19:29:59 »
Opaque colors really do make the features pop :thumb:

143337-0

Offline KlarKuo

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 15:56:32 »
Got mine over the weekend. They look pretty sweet, definitely interested for the future

Offline Raenbo

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 16:10:44 »
Got mine over the weekend. They look pretty sweet, definitely interested for the future

Which cap did you get? Are you satisfied with how it fits on your keyboard?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 16:15:09 »
That wing would make a great keycap.

Offline KlarKuo

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 19:12:37 »

I didn't realize that Sharks and Owls were extremely unique compared to skulls and the like. However, it is worth mentioning that the sculptor had never seen Booper's Bruce and Binge's Owl beforehand. He's a lot newer to the scene and showed no interest in artisans up until recently. The main reason why we didn't cast the owl and the other shark was because I told him they were way too similar. There was nothing in front of him that he was copying :P

I'm glad to hear that was the case, it was something I had noticed when I first saw the progress pictures

Got the blue and black sharks. They both fit pretty well on my keyboards - no real problem with the stem or anything. Love how they look as well. Blue one is at work so I can't take pictures

« Last Edit: Tue, 26 July 2016, 19:18:19 by cheesepuff18 »

Marshal

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 19:52:28 »
New things are coming. Topre love <3

143470-0

Offline Raenbo

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 21:03:59 »

I'm glad to hear that was the case, it was something I had noticed when I first saw the progress pictures

Got the blue and black sharks. They both fit pretty well on my keyboards - no real problem with the stem or anything. Love how they look as well. Blue one is at work so I can't take pictures

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That dark grey Shark looks great with your keyset! And I'm really glad you like it.

Gonna have more colors posted soon! And just about ready to get into production mode for the next sale  :thumb:

Offline Raenbo

« Last Edit: Sat, 30 July 2016, 16:17:12 by Raenbo »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Raenbo

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 14:28:04 »
All the sharks are MX! Kind of misleading since Marshal has a Novatouch stem on his HHKB.

Offline muon

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 15:21:39 »
Looking good, keep up the great work :)

Seeing big improvements over time

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 15:37:15 »
you're work looks promising!
keep up the good work!

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 15:39:19 »
Looks awesome!! Love the colors man!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline KlarKuo

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 16:03:48 »
All the sharks are MX! Kind of misleading since Marshal has a Novatouch stem on his HHKB.

Yesssss

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 15:51:17 »
These actually look incredible, you guys have some serious skills

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Marshal

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 01:14:45 »
Pretty big update with the HHKB Mod Sets, any feedback is greatly appreciated!

144099-0 144101-1 144103-2

Offline mrlooolz

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 01:29:50 »
Pretty big update with the HHKB Mod Sets, any feedback is greatly appreciated!

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)
My feedback is after those pics i am going on now to buy a black hhkb 2:) cause i got to have 2 of these sets.  Dibs on teal :D
Ducky Shine 5 w Mx Browns  | White fox w Zelio's purple 67g | Gateron Blank set

Current Aims: Jack O Lantern is my end game cap. Looking for one.
                                                   --> MrLooolz's Classified. <--