Author Topic: Hello from Sweden  (Read 2169 times)

Offline ctrl

Hello from Sweden
« on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 02:26:59 »
Hello.

Going down the rabbit hole that is mechanical keyboards. Looking forward to it.

My interest in mechanical keyboards was sparked when my cousin, who was collecting old hardware, introduced me to a rare "microswitch keyboard" sometime during the '90s (it was old even then). I was reminded about the beauty of clickiness when I was collecting Neo Geo Pocket Color gear as this handheld console used microswitches for its D-pad. Getting into mechanical keyboards was just a matter of time.

So far I've gotten off to what I feel is a very good start with a XD60/XD64 custom mechanical keyboard kit with Cherry MX Whites and the Miami Dolch DSA keycap set on the way. I'll attempt a Swedish ISO layout for this build. I haven't seen many Swedish layouts posted online so I hope to contribute to this niche.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 May 2017, 03:29:40 by ctrl »

Offline Encabulator

Re: Hello from Sweden
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 21:23:31 »
The XD60 is a great board. How are you liking the MX whites? From what I've heard they are rather inconsistent and many people prefer Gateron or Cherry greens because of that. I have a set of blank signature plastics (Pimp My Keyboard) on one of my keyboard right now and they're very nice. Investing in a nice keyset as newbie is often a good idea, it gives you that satisfying sound of thick keycaps and they can often be resold in the future for what you paid or even more! Good luck on the Swedish ISO build!
relax bro.. no one will bite ur head off on geekhack.. this is not that kind of community...   hahahahahahaha

Though tp4 will personally chew you out if you start selling $60 orings.

Offline ctrl

Re: Hello from Sweden
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 03:45:09 »
So far I'm just playing the waiting game for shipments. I plan to get some samplers to try out different switches while waiting for the XD60 (interested in finding switches approximating the feeling and sound of those microswitches found in Neo Geo Pocket Color) and the the Dolch Miami keycaps to arrive mid-autumn. I heard the MX Whites are notorious for inconsistency, but I also heard they are discontinued and because I like the idea of a soft clicky switch, I figured I should just get a bunch of them to try out, since I could get them with the XD60 order, before new ones are off the market. :)

Thanks! I believe I have a good layout planned out. Will upload pics of my XD60 Swedish ISO Dolch Miami build to GH once it's all done. Probably last quarter 2017.