Author Topic: [LaserCTRL] - Laser Cut Keycaps - In Hibernation  (Read 44155 times)

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
[LaserCTRL] - Laser Cut Keycaps - In Hibernation
« on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 02:01:25 »
New SuperCTRLr Colorways!

So I made two new SuperCTRLr colorways today.

The first is a green and black should be a great fit with keycaps like Terminal or Toxic.

179884-0

The second is a teal and purple which will fit right in on a Hyperfuse board; I'm sure Skeletor would appreciate even more teal  :))

179886-1

I need to pick up a light keycap set, right now all of mine on hand are black  :eek:

I'll try to get some classic RGBY and Purple SuperCTRLrs going this week.

Updates
More

2017-08-16 22:48

The 8-bit sale is starts today and runs for 8 days. Check out the new designs in the update post here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=89769.msg2476822#msg2476822

2017-07-28 20:46

I'm officially previewing my next CTRLr, giving some 8-bit backspace love.

174489-2

2017-07-26 19:26

Round 3 will offer lower-profile caps. Details in this post: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=89769.msg2465773#msg2465773

2017-07-23 18:13

I'm aiming to start taking orders for round three in the first part of August. So if you have any feedback from rounds 1 or 2, please send it my way. I will already be making some adjustments, so now's the time to make suggestions.

2017-06-12 11:15

I guess I missed updating the topic, but all round two orders were shipped beginning of last week.

2017-06-02 08:35

Round 2 is almost sold out. I'm down to 2 purple controllers on hand.

I will roll for the giveaway tonight at 21:00 MST from the invoices on hand.

Thanks everyone for your support!

2017-06-01 15:43

Round two is now live!

Now taking orders at http://laserctrl.io

There is a second giveaway for a custom cap, read the details below.

2017-05-28 23:10

Round one ships out tomorrow, round two should launch end of the week; details in a post below.

2017-05-26 10:17

Looks like these are a hit ;D

I'm running out of ready-to-ship keycaps. Feel free to comment below or PM me your interest; I will make another batch sometime soon.

All invoices will only be for pre-made keys, I will not invoice anyone in advance.

Thanks everyone!

2017-05-26 07:37
I guess it was late when I wrote this. These are on sale now.

Just PM me what you want along with an email address and if you are outside the US/Canada.  I will send you an invoice from PayPal.

Archived Posts

More

The 8-bit sale Starts Today!

176072-4

176074-5

More Details Here
Main screen, turn on!
So after a few months of prototypes and several simpler designs, I present to you the SuperCTRLr!

169266-6

I think it goes without saying this was inspired by the Super Nintendo / Super Famicom. It is a 2.25u Cherry MX keycap suitable for the enter or left shift on most keyboards.

169270-7

169272-8

Compatibility

This keycap only works with Cherry MX switches and clones. I've only tested it with Cherry stabilizers, but I think Costar should be fine. Topre, even with MX sliders, is a no-go because of the rectangular shape for the main stem.

169274-9

169276-10

169278-11

Here is a short video of it in action

As you can see, the clear base and translucent white allow backlighting to show through.

169280-12

Watch the disco lights!

Construction

This was a challenging keycap and I am really pushing the limit of what I can work with from my laser. It is assembled from 15 individual pieces bonded together with acrylic cement.

169268-13

All lettering is laser etched and hand painted.

Price and Availability

The SuperCTRLr is $18 plus shipping. Shipping is $4 to the US, $15 international.

Sold Out!
ColorsQty
Two-tone Purple
RGBY
{ As of 2017-05-26, 11:21 }

PM me what you want along with your email and I will send an invoice from PayPal.

Just for Geekhack, I'm offering my Super Star at a discount for this launch. You can snag one for $7 with a SuperCTRLr (normally $9). That would be this guy:

169282-14

Giveaway!

Update: Congrats to ihatemybrain for correctly identifying the 9 key in the 8 position on frame 10  :thumb:

So I uploaded this stop-motion video using some other keycaps last week, but I messed up one of the frames. The first person to correctly identify which frame and what the mistake was, I'll send a free Super Star cap.

Orders live for round 3 SuperCTRLr and the all-new CTRLr keycaps!
Check it out on https://laserctrl.io

174849-15

This time around I will be assembling the keycaps as the orders come in; everything is cut and ready to go. This gives me the freedom to adjust assembly based on which styles are popular. It should only add 1-2 days to the processing time, depending on demand of course. If it starts to look like I'm getting more orders than I can realistically handle, I'll mark the keycaps as out-of-stock.

All orders made before 2017-08-05 11:59 GMT will be added to the giveaway drawing, details to be announced.

More details in this post: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=89769.msg2469322#msg2469322.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 March 2018, 21:55:48 by vim_commando »

Offline nya

Re: [LaserCTRL] - Laser Cut Keycaps - SuperCTRLr Launch + Giveaway
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 04:36:52 »
This looks AMAZING! Take my wallet!

Offline PQStarLord

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 04:38:44 »
This is actually awesome, when are they going on sale?

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 04:49:31 »
is it frame 7?

Offline superpiya

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 04:51:46 »
Looks awesome. Can't wait for the sale  :thumb:

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 06:58:54 »
Whoa, that's bonkers!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline ihatemybrain

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 07:06:30 »
Frame 10, u put 9 caps into 8 key lel

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: Fri, 26 May 2017, 08:20:45 by ihatemybrain »

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 08:50:11 »
Frame 10, u put 9 caps into 8 key lel

That is absolutely correct! Congrats!

For everyone else I made some small updates about on ordering. Just send me a PM with an email and what you want; then I'll send you PayPal invoice.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 08:53:15 »
Those are crazy adorable. :D

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 09:38:00 »
very cool
 :thumb:
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline bunraku

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:50:01 »
look great. I'd like to get one  :thumb:

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 16:32:04 »
I would definitely take one of each color.

Offline matcha_cake

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 16:45:34 »
The controller keys are sold out right? :( I am definitely interested in a next batch. I just bought a bunch of your star keys too, too bad I missed this.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 17:04:32 »
Pretty cool my guy :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 17:44:54 »
The controller keys are sold out right? :( I am definitely interested in a next batch. I just bought a bunch of your star keys too, too bad I missed this.

Yes, everything in this batch already sold. I'll be making a slightly larger batch the next time around and I plan on having it ready soon™.

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 17:48:31 »
Yes, everything in this batch already sold. I'll be making a slightly larger batch the next time around and I plan on having it ready soon™.

Any chance of a waitlist or newsletter type deal to know when the next batch is ready?

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
Re: [LaserCTRL] - Laser Cut Keycaps - SuperCTRLr Launch (Sold Out)
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 18:49:07 »

Any chance of a waitlist or newsletter type deal to know when the next batch is ready?

I'll see what I can put together, until then subscribing to notifications on this thread is probably the best.

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 23:04:33 »
Very interested in joining the next batch. Looks great!
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 02:15:45 »
Looks neat. Would love to know when your next batch is for sale!

Offline CheckYourCommit

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 09:32:20 »
Those are awesome! Definitely looking forward to another batch!

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 14:03:23 »
Omgggggg, didn't see this at all and missed it already! These are so cool!
KBD75 GMK Terminal          XD84 DSA Black on GSF + Hana Matcha + Serum

Offline monkeysontoast

• Editor, dork, human - powered by pizza & nostalgia
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 21:34:01 »
I am VERY interested in the two-tone purple cap. Looking forward to the next batch!

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
Just a quick update tonight, all of round one is packed up and ready to be shipped out tomorrow. Unfortunately it is memorial day, so the post office will be a bunch of lazy jerks and not do anything with it until Tuesday.  :rolleyes:

I've also got a head start on round 2. I'm aiming to have 20 SuperCTRLrs this time around, hopefully that gives everyone who missed round 1 a chance. I made more Super Stars too so I can continue the original offer.

169526-0

There is still a lot of peeling, gluing and painting left (the picture is almost all dry-fitted) so I should be ready by the end of the week.

Offline superpiya

Just a quick update tonight, all of round one is packed up and ready to be shipped out tomorrow. Unfortunately it is memorial day, so the post office will be a bunch of lazy jerks and not do anything with it until Tuesday.  :rolleyes:

I've also got a head start on round 2. I'm aiming to have 20 SuperCTRLrs this time around, hopefully that gives everyone who missed round 1 a chance. I made more Super Stars too so I can continue the original offer.

(Attachment Link)

There is still a lot of peeling, gluing and painting left (the picture is almost all dry-fitted) so I should be ready by the end of the week.

Quick question... middle stem is rectangular? So it won't fit JTK (topre-mx) sliders?

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL

Quick question... middle stem is rectangular? So it won't fit JTK (topre-mx) sliders?

As they are right now, you are right, they would not fit.

If you are interested in trying, I could swap the main stem with a 3rd stabilizer stem. I just don't have any Topre (with or without MX sliders) on hand to verify the fit before sending it out.

Do you by chance know the diameter of the slider's socket? I know they are round and fit round MX stems, but I try to make the stem sidewalls as thick as I can. The acrylic gets brittle if it is too thin.

Offline rabbitfire

Looks awesome! Waiting for R2...

Offline superpiya

If you are interested in trying, I could swap the main stem with a 3rd stabilizer stem. I just don't have any Topre (with or without MX sliders) on hand to verify the fit before sending it out.

Do you by chance know the diameter of the slider's socket? I know they are round and fit round MX stems, but I try to make the stem sidewalls as thick as I can. The acrylic gets brittle if it is too thin.

I found reviews of JTK vs Novatouch sliders here : http://imgur.com/r/mechanicalkeyboards/EFKq7

If my math is correct, then :
Novatouch slider socket diameter = 8.3mm - (0.7mm x2) = 6.9mm
JTK slider socket diameter = 8.1mm - (0.9mm x2) = 6.3mm

I also measured my Novatouch slider socket diameter using mini ruler. It is 6mm ++, but I think it's less than 6.9mm (sorry for potato pic) :
169614-0

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL

I found reviews of JTK vs Novatouch sliders here : http://imgur.com/r/mechanicalkeyboards/EFKq7

I also measured my Novatouch slider socket diameter using mini ruler. It is 6mm ++, but I think it's less than 6.9mm (sorry for potato pic) :
(Attachment Link)

Thank you for tracking down the info! I can work with this.

I may not have something ready to go for Round 2, but I will take a second look at my stabilizer stem and see what I can do. I'm sitting at just about 6.25mm OD right now, but with the way the stabilizers don't attach to the key, I'm concerned the key wobble could be bad for the stem (i.e. potentially crack it). Novatouch looks like at least the stabilizer stems have something to sit on; JTK looks like they free-float.

I will keep you posted, and if you are interested in beta testing a blank plate for me, I might send you a couple to hammer on.

Offline drewba

I want in for Round 2!!

Man this reminds me of the SNES GMK Keyset that never quite came together...

Offline superpiya

(Attachment Link)

Thank you for tracking down the info! I can work with this.

I may not have something ready to go for Round 2, but I will take a second look at my stabilizer stem and see what I can do. I'm sitting at just about 6.25mm OD right now, but with the way the stabilizers don't attach to the key, I'm concerned the key wobble could be bad for the stem (i.e. potentially crack it). Novatouch looks like at least the stabilizer stems have something to sit on; JTK looks like they free-float.

I will keep you posted, and if you are interested in beta testing a blank plate for me, I might send you a couple to hammer on.

You're welcome, of course I would be glad to help you in beta testing. However I feel that I'm not the best candidate for testing, since you'll need to send the blank plate overseas (up to 2-3 weeks ETA). But if you're alright with that, I will PM you my address.

Offline nya

Even the packaging is aweome!

Now all I need is a console keycap and the GMK snes that never happened. :p

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
Even the packaging is aweome!

Show Image

Now all I need is a console keycap and the GMK snes that never happened. :p

Thank you!

I had a little more fun with yours since you got one of each  ;D

You're welcome, of course I would be glad to help you in beta testing. However I feel that I'm not the best candidate for testing, since you'll need to send the blank plate overseas (up to 2-3 weeks ETA). But if you're alright with that, I will PM you my address.

I'll PM you and maybe we can figure something out.

If anyone else state-side has a Novatouch and is interested, please let me know.

Also, I'll be posting information on round two shortly.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
If anyone else state-side has a Novatouch and is interested, please let me know.

I do. I'm in California.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 June 2017, 15:32:53 by eksuen »

Offline nya

(Attachment Link)

Couldn't test it out on my HHKB, but maybe this will help?

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
Re: [LaserCTRL] - Laser Cut Keycaps - SuperCTRLr - Round 2 Live!
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 16:42:46 »
Round Two, FIGHT Start!

Its time! I put the finishing touches on round two last night:

169786-0

So I have 20 on hand, ready to go (10 of each color).

I hope this gives everyone who missed round 1 a chance, and I will give priority to anyone who PM'd or emailed me this last week.

Second Giveaway!

Yes, for round 2 I am including another giveaway. This time I will be making one lucky person a Super Star in any custom color combination they choose. And I'm not just talking the ones listed on the product page.

Here is what I'm talking about, I have a lot of decorative acrylics on hand:

169788-1

The stem color is still limited to white, black, and clear; but the star, eyes and plate are all fair game (with some recommendations).

I will select the winning invoice number via dice roll (!) and will post the results here.

How to order

This time around I have the SuperCTRLr posted on a special page in my Shopify Store.

My hope is this gives more accurate shipping prices, especially for the international members, and keeps inventory updated real-time. I will notify anyone who orders after a color runs out. If demand gets too overwhelming, I may need to stop accepting orders to catch up.

You can still pay via PayPal from the store. If for some reason you'd prefer a PayPal invoice, just let me know; the same $4 domestic, $15 international shipping rates still apply.

Be sure to use the discount code CTRLr2 to get the launch pricing of $18 for the SuperCTRLr and $7 for Super Star keycaps.

Mailing List

I've also turned on my mailing list in Shopify, so if you are interested in future updates, please feel free to subscribe!

Final Note

Please be courtious to your fellow GH members, and limit yourself to two SuperCTLRrs per order, there is no MultiTap keycap, so 4 won't do you any good anyway  :))

Thank you everyone for your support, and good luck!
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 June 2017, 16:50:43 by vim_commando »

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 16:58:13 »

Couldn't test it out on my HHKB, but maybe this will help?
Show Image

Yes, thank you, that does help and it confirmed my suspicion: my current stem was going to rub against the slider's wall. Unfortunately
I don't have a lot of room to go thinner, so hopefully I can just shave a few fractions of a millimeter off to get a good fit.

I do. I'm in California.

Great, I'll PM you and Nya after the round 2 sale is complete.

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 17:55:32 »
Cool, that came sooner than I thought :) In for one

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 20:41:49 »
also in!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline BSmith333

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 21:07:40 »
Just got in, sad that I missed round one but this came alot sooner than I expected! :thumb:

Offline OneNightFriend

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 22:00:36 »
Got my order in the mail today. That was really quick delivery!

They look great and my wife likes them too. Maybe this could be the gateway for her :)

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 23:19:23 »
Got my order in the mail today. That was really quick delivery!

They look great and my wife likes them too. Maybe this could be the gateway for her :)
Show Image

That's awesome. My wife currently loves using one of my 60% boards on top of her Macbook Air because of the custom keycaps. I swear the keyboard weighs as much as the laptop  ;D

Offline drewba

Re: [LaserCTRL] - Laser Cut Keycaps - SuperCTRLr - Round 2 Almost Gone!
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 17:11:32 »
IN awwww yeeeeeee

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 23:03:17 »
Looks like I was a little late, but here is the big moment!

So, I had less than 20 orders, which makes my weapon of choice the trusty D20.

Who wins? Whoever has the last two digits of the invoice number match the dice roll. My PayPal invoice will be on 20. Re-roll if there is no winner.

And the winner is....

Invoice #1007!

PM me and we will design your custom star.

I will start shipping everything out tomorrow.

Thank you everyone for your support!

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 23:44:11 »
OMG!!!  :eek: Are you kidding me?! Sweeeet!!! Thank you :D

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 23:51:04 »
OMG!!!  :eek: Are you kidding me?! Sweeeet!!! Thank you :D

You bet! Let me know which shades you are interested in and I will get you a better picture. The one mass picture I have of all the color chips is not the best lighting.

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
Re: [LaserCTRL] - Laser Cut Keycaps - SuperCTRLr - Round 2 Shipping
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 18:27:41 »
I just dropped of the second batch of packages, the first batch was dropped off on Saturday. I have one package left that will be going to tomorrow morning, making round two 100% shipped.

Including this guy:

170145-0

Sitting on a black stem, I can't wait to see it on the Toxic and Terminal keysets he is designed for :D

Whats next?

So, I've got some interest in a Novatouch-compatible stem set, and I will be working on that. Aside from more SuperCTRLrs, what are you interested in seeing? Custom colorways to match specific keycap sets? Custom space bars? Decorative keyboard plates? Modifier sets or... something else?

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 02:45:01 »
So excited :D Green Super Star rules  :thumb:

Edit: I just fitted my SuperCtrlr onto a key for the first time. Very nice work on the stems. Great fit!

Edit 2: Love how the light shines through. Didn't expect to keep it on my Toxic board but the light shine through may just have me convinced.

« Last Edit: Tue, 06 June 2017, 04:50:26 by TelFiRE »

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 21:31:53 »

Loving my new Super Star :D

Think you'll ever make a lower profile Super Ctrler by chance?

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 23:49:18 »

Think you'll ever make a lower profile Super Ctrler by chance?

Thanks for sharing the pic, it looks even more at home on Toxic than I thought it would :thumb:

Laser cutting a lower-profile cap is going to be challenging. You're not the first to ask, but I'm pretty limited by available thicknesses on acrylic. I can find almost anything in 3mm (~1/8 in), but the choices for 2mm (~1/16 in) are painfully limited.

I could try a shorter stem and thinner plate, which would drop the overall height, but it makes getting a clean, straight fit for the stems more... problematic. I could always try sanding down the pieces, but that adds significantly more time to the assembly process.

I'll have to try a few things and see what I can come up with.

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 00:39:31 »
Understandable. I will say however that the Super Star is a perfect height. Is there something about the snes controller that forces it taller?

Anyway thanks a bunch looking forward to seeing more of your stuff!!!

Edit: never mind! The reason it seemed like the star was lower was just the difference in the height of the different rows. My bad! Yeah I can see how it might be hard to get lower :P Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 June 2017, 01:41:07 by TelFiRE »