Author Topic: Need help finding countertop oven for artisan post cure.  (Read 3241 times)

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
Need help finding countertop oven for artisan post cure.
« on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 08:25:32 »
For some special effects I am doing the resins need to be baked at 150F for 4-6hr and due to space I need to find a small oven like a toaster oven that can be set to 150F for 6hrs.

I know I can do an arduino mod to one but I'm trying to find something that will work out of the box. If that fails I'll go the route of modifying one. So if anyone has any thoughts that don't require modifications and fit a 2-foot cubic are running at 110V AC please let me know. I'm open to other suggestions as well. I know a lot of times you can get by without the post cure but after several weeks experimenting and working with Smooth-On support we have determined that in this case the post cure is a requirement.

Offline djfunh8r

Re: Need help finding countertop oven for artisan post cure.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 09:05:37 »
Are you in a workshop?  My regular kitchen oven on "warm" is 140-170F.  For a toaster oven I'd imagine you'd need a digital timer, most of the cheaper ones I've seen use an analog timer that won't stay on 6 hours.  Unfortunately "maximum timer length" is not readily searchable.  This Oster is cheaper than their other models and has a digital timer: https://www.amazon.com/Oster-TSSTTVDGXL-SHP-Digital-Countertop-Stainless/dp/B00OXSR486/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1507471107&sr=1-4&keywords=digital

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 10:34:55 »
Thanks, That particular model has a 90min timer from what I was able to research.

This unit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008PC7N) had a 4hr timer but is no longer available and had a lot of reliability and quality control issues.

Right now we don't have a workshop as we are converting a gravel garage into one. It also doesn't have power which we will tackle after we have the concreate floor poured. So right now we have a small 10x15 room that two of us are working in.

It's looking heavily like we may have to go the modification route until we get our workspace sorted but I'm going to keep looking a little longer before I head down that path. My soldering skills are ok, but there are so many other things going on and to do that not having another project is a better option and right now we are just not doing casts that need those materials but I want to get them going as I think everyone is going to love what we have to show when we open out for business.

We looked at RV/Mobile home ovens but those are far too expensive, we would rather just save that money for a nice large oven when we have the shop space.

My next step will be to just contact a few of the manufactures but everyone knows how tight lipped they get when you are using their products in ways they were not intended. The don't want to be responsible if you hurt yourself, others or property and I can understand that. Hopefully someone here will have an idea or one of the manufactures will be sympathetic and have some suggestions. If not I'll hit up some flea markets for some cheap toasterovens to experiment with mods on.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 19:50:57 »
Do they turn themselves off automatically?  Couldn't you just turn in on sans timer and use a wall plug in timer?
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 21:14:32 »
Do they turn themselves off automatically?  Couldn't you just turn in on sans timer and use a wall plug in timer?

They auto shut off for saftey at the max timer. If the timer can be disabled that might be a solution though.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 14:19:34 »
Disabling the internal timer on a toaster oven should be as simple as direct wiring the heating elements.  Maintaining temp control you would probably need a controller, like a controleo or the like.  Look up DIY reflow oven tutorials.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline CompileWithStyle

• Compile With Style
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 13:09:34 »
This is the $30 one I use from Rosewill.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GATJFBA

Can set the time, temp, and has a large cavity.  Comes with a flat pizza tray as well.  Works amazing.

A lot of the clear resins I use I have cure time down to 1 hour from 12-24 hours.

150F for 30-45 minutes for clear epoxy.
CompileWithStyle - Some of my work