Author Topic: Different type of cherry mx browns?  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Mousearm

Different type of cherry mx browns?
« on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 13:09:56 »
Hi all,
i'm testing three diffferent keyboards:
  • kinesis advantage
  • Truly ergonomic
  • Cherry Mx-Board 3.0

all of them have brown switches, if i remove the keycapps i can see: browns no o'rings. But they all feel very different when i type.
First i thought it's just a weird imagination from me, but when i just type one word (like 'house') and focus on it feels like Kinesis has the lightest touch, than comes  truly ergonomics and the cherry mx board feeks like i have to use clearly more force to press.

the difference is not small at all and i bet others can feel it too. So how come? Are there 2 types of browns? Just the keycapps?

Greetings!
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 September 2014, 06:24:01 by Mousearm »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
Re: Different type of cherry mx browns?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 14:06:17 »
I suspect that the main difference that you will feel will probably be cause by the case and how the pcb is mounted to the case and how the switches are mounted to the pcb.

Then different key caps.

Then you can also count in some variation on the switches themselves. But I suspect that the above reasons have much more influence on the feel.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Mousearm

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:05:03 »
Hi thanks for your input.  That other thread was interesting as well - i liked the idea with the sprung weight. That concept was new to me.  so i removed the keycapps for the word "house" and weighted them with my pretty fancy scale. But i must say my scale is not optimized for weights under 100g (it weighs up to 3000g so it might not be superacurate in those weight ranges) Here a the results:

TECK: 4,6 total, so 0,92 g per Keycap
Cherry Mx board: 3,9 g total ~ 0,78 g per Keycap

Could this cause this difference? That would be crazy if one could feel this difference..
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 September 2014, 11:38:48 by Mousearm »

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:27:34 »
Hi thanks for your input.  That other thread was interesting as well - i liked the idea with the sprung weight. That concept was new to me.  so i removed the keycapps for the word "house" and weighted them with my pretty fancy scale. But i must say my scale is not optimized for weights under 100g (it weighs up to 3000g so it might not be superacurate in those weight ranges) Here a the results:

TECK: 4,6 total, so 0,92 g per Keycap
Cherry Mx board: 3,9 g total ~ 0,78 g per scale

Could this cause this difference? That would be crazy if one could feel this difference..

It's a 15% difference if the numbers are accurate, so not so negligible. If you consider that some people change the springs in the switches and go from 55g to 62g to 65g to 70g etc. the difference is not huge yet it can be felt by the user.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Mousearm

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 11:43:21 »
well if you say that other users felt the difference going form 55 to 62, than that would be perfectly possible. Or its one of the other mentioned factors. But i must say weight of Keycapps fascinate me much more...