Author Topic: Squeaky-ass Zealios  (Read 1525 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Squeaky-ass Zealios
« on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 16:30:36 »
Does anybody have a remedy for squeaky zealios?  I have some R5 67g that I picked up from 1upkeyboards several months ago.  I just now got around to trying them on a board (no solder yet), and to my surprise they are terribly squeaky.  Some of them actually made me laugh.  I feel like I'm visiting an old Southern plantation and some kindly folk are conversing in their rocking chairs on the veranda.  If only I could get a "Howdy, Y'all" clip to play on keypress.

It seems to be related to the cylinder the spring rests on.  Outside of the housing, the spring is silent.  Will lubing the spring cylinder (or the spring) do the trick?  I'm just not impressed by the switches.  They don't feel as tactile as I wanted :(

Side note: I did find a 62g sampler I had lying around, and it seems to have a snappier bump, which I prefer .  I may just ditch these and buy some 62g, but I don't want more squeaky-ass switches.

Ideas?

Oh, and here's a recording for ya:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sv9oyxy0imtvrhq/File%20Oct%2003%2C%204%2038%2006%20PM.m4a?dl=0

You'll probably have to turn it up or use headphones
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 October 2017, 20:30:28 by reececonrad »

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Squeaky-ass Zealios
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 17:26:42 »
I've had some squeaky ones but not like that.. that's comical.  lube on the spring should help.
keyboards.

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
Re: Squeaky-ass Zealios
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 07:40:04 »
I had a batch that were a bit pingy and I don’t think they were very well lubed.. the current batch I have sit in my KBD75 were better but not perfect. I lived the sliders and top / bottom of the spring and they’re much better!
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff