Author Topic: Maybe Alps is going out  (Read 15527 times)

Offline fkeidjn

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 25 November 2007, 02:05:04 »
I don't have the HHKP2 (can't afford it right now), but I do know that they use Fujitsu keyswitches that were used in their older keyboards before they temporarily switched to using rubber-domes.  More details about the keyswitch technology for both old Fujitsu keyboards and the new HHKPs here.

The HHKP Lite uses rubber domes, which is why it's considerably cheaper than the Professional models, and they suck in terms of typing action.

And now that the Alps switches are discontinued, it was a mistake for me to sell two wonderful Northgate keyboards, both which I got on ebay and cleaned, $70 for both (which was both a loss of keyboards and money for me :sad: ). Now I'm trying frantically to look for another Northgate keyboard, or even something that could fit in their place (SGI granite color model for example).
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 25 November 2007, 02:33:45 »
Quote from: fkeidjn
I don't have the HHKP2 (can't afford it right now), but I do know that they use Fujitsu keyswitches that were used in their older keyboards before they temporarily switched to using rubber-domes.  More details about the keyswitch technology for both old Fujitsu keyboards and the new HHKPs here.

The HHKP Lite uses rubber domes, which is why it's considerably cheaper than the Professional models, and they suck in terms of typing action.

And now that the Alps switches are discontinued, it was a mistake for me to sell two wonderful Northgate keyboards, both which I got on ebay and cleaned, $70 for both (which was both a loss of keyboards and money for me :sad: ). Now I'm trying frantically to look for another Northgate keyboard, or even something that could fit in their place (SGI granite color model for example).

You can get a white alps Northgate board from here: http://c-techsys.com/products.html
It's a beast.

Offline fkeidjn

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 25 November 2007, 03:03:41 »
Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o
Quote from: fkeidjn

You can get a white alps Northgate board from here: http://c-techsys.com/products.html
It's a beast.

I just checked.  They only have the Northgate Evolution.  Even though the touchpad could be useful for me, I don't like the ergonomic profile.  But thanks for the info anyway!
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 25 November 2007, 20:28:01 »
Still 5 available.  :)

(and, I'd be willing to bet there is more where those came from.  looks like they are dumping some serious old stock.)

Offline mr_sf_applet

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 23 December 2007, 11:10:26 »
Quote from: mr_sf_applet;1071
Anyway, I called the number on that order page, and spoke with a friendly guy named Jim, I think. He said their best guess was that they were three weeks out from getting fresh batches of both the Prime and the Stellar. I asked if they would continue to use Alps switches, and he reassured me that they would stay with mechanical switches.
I was getting a little worried because more than three weeks after I posted the above, they were still out of stock. But I checked www.cvtinc.com a few days ago, and they're selling both Avant boards again. The Stellar is now in black, but there are no photos on the site. A nagging doubt still lingers, though, as to whether they're still using Alps sliders. Maybe someone -- maybe I -- should call their sales department again to verify.

I blow hot and cold on the white Alps sliders on the Avant keyboards. Recently, I've soured on them, because of the same issues Whiskey has with his Northgate Evolution, the wobble and the bottoming out. But then there are times when I love typing on the Stellar, because it's the one keyboard I have that reminds me of typing on a manual typewriter. I wonder if the key feel of these white Alps appeals mostly to older folks who remember what it was like to type on a Remington or Hermes or Underwood. When I'm on the Avant Stellar, I imagine myself in a 1930s newsroom, and I want to don the fedora that's stashed away in the darkest corner of the closet.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 23 December 2007, 11:17:24 »
Quote from: mr_sf_applet;2062
When I'm on the Avant Stellar, I imagine myself in a 1930s newsroom, and I want to don the fedora that's stashed away in the darkest corner of the closet.

That's what I like about Alps keyboards.

Offline Bluemercury

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 23 December 2007, 13:06:34 »
Quote from: iMav;1307
Still 5 available.  :)

(and, I'd be willing to bet there is more where those came from.  looks like they are dumping some serious old stock.)

Doesnt say what type of switches it uses.
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline mr_sf_applet

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 23 December 2007, 14:09:05 »
Quote from: Bluemercury;2064
Doesnt say what type of switches it uses.
You need to check out this thread.

Offline fkeidjn

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 24 December 2007, 02:41:33 »
By the way, isn't the way to tell an Alps switch apart from a Strongman switch is to check the whether or not the switch contains "Alps" imprinted on them and not just some kind of model number?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 24 December 2007, 10:34:19 »
Alps switches have Alps on the top of the switch in raised letters like this:

The other tell is the rectangular slider with grooves on both short sides.

Offline mr_sf_applet

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 27 December 2007, 16:35:30 »
Quote from: mr_sf_applet;2062
I was getting a little worried because more than three weeks after I posted the above, they were still out of stock. But I checked www.cvtinc.com a few days ago, and they're selling both Avant boards again. The Stellar is now in black, but there are no photos on the site. A nagging doubt still lingers, though, as to whether they're still using Alps sliders. Maybe someone -- maybe I -- should call their sales department again to verify.

Since nobody else seems to have done it, I emailed cvtinc.com to ask about the keyswitches in the latest batch of Avant keyboards. The office manager emailed back within half an hour saying she did have not a ready response for me, but that she would contact people at the production facility and get back to me with an answer.

Which I will of course pass on to the forum here.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 27 December 2007, 21:00:02 »
Quote from: mr_sf_applet;2151

Excellent!

Offline fkeidjn

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 27 December 2007, 21:05:15 »
Quote from: mr_sf_applet;2151
Since nobody else seems to have done it, I emailed cvtinc.com to ask about the keyswitches in the latest batch of Avant keyboards. The office manager emailed back within half an hour saying she did have not a ready response for me, but that she would contact people at the production facility and get back to me with an answer.

I think they might be using Strongmans or blue Cherries.  It would be nice though if they could create their own keyswitches as superior as the Alps.

Offline puntium

• http://keyboards.kendeeter.com
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 09 January 2008, 21:52:56 »
I remember reading somewhere that the alps switches that the Tactile Pro were no longer in production.. and something about Matias (the company behind the Tactile Pro) buying millions of the last switches.. I think the Tactile Pro 2.0 has some other kind of switch.. they call it the "Matias Mechanical Switch" but my guess is its a rebranding of some other switch. Who knows.
FILCO FKBN87M/EB / Microsoft Natural Elite / HHKB2 Pro
Keyboards blog | Keyboard Reviews (old blog)

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 10 January 2008, 21:02:40 »
I've seen the Tactile Pro 2 switches described as "Alps based mechanical switches" meaning...not ALPS, but I don't know what else that means.

You could say that linear black cherries are "based on" the clicky browns or blues but...whatever.

I own a Tactile Pro 2, it catches some criticism, and catches it fairly, but I like it overall as a pure Apple play.  Still trying to get used to my SMK-88 and I keep looking at the lonely TP2 under my desk.  =-D

What can I do to help better identify the TP2 internals?  Anything beyond pull the keycap off and snap a photo?

The keys are very clicky, very tactile, and very WOBBLY.  Not crazy about that wobble.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline fkeidjn

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 11 January 2008, 13:07:39 »
Quote from: ashort;2315
I've seen the Tactile Pro 2 switches described as "Alps based mechanical switches" meaning...not ALPS, but I don't know what else that means.

You could say that linear black cherries are "based on" the clicky browns or blues but...whatever.

I own a Tactile Pro 2, it catches some criticism, and catches it fairly, but I like it overall as a pure Apple play.  Still trying to get used to my SMK-88 and I keep looking at the lonely TP2 under my desk.  =-D

What can I do to help better identify the TP2 internals?  Anything beyond pull the keycap off and snap a photo?

The keys are very clicky, very tactile, and very WOBBLY.  Not crazy about that wobble.

Probably strongman switches

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 11 January 2008, 13:10:02 »
That is my guess.

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 11 January 2008, 18:36:21 »
Quote from: xsphat;2324
That is my guess.

Yep.  I strongly suspect Strongman.

Offline fkeidjn

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 12 January 2008, 10:36:57 »
On the Strongman website, the Mac keyboards they make just about look like the Tactile Pro 2 keyboards, which is another reason to say it's made by Strongman.  Their model number starts with SMK-POWER989X.  What's the model number for the Tactile Pro 2?