Author Topic: A new convert  (Read 2081 times)

Offline zwmalone

A new convert
« on: Mon, 02 March 2009, 17:30:05 »
My mother :D  I let her use my M for a while before I sold it and my Chicony (I've got a new Evolution coming (thanks wheels!).  After telling me it's alright that I take it (I felt bad about trading her favorite keyboard :() because "I told you it's just a keyboard" she's trolling eBay.  She's made up her mind she wants a black m13 or a Unicomp Endurapro with black keys :)  She finally gets my obsession :D
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline wellington1869

A new convert
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 March 2009, 00:37:28 »
lol, thats great. you wont have to hide it from her anymore by sticking keyboards under your mattress ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline lowpoly

A new convert
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 March 2009, 02:10:12 »
Quote from: zwmalone;23258
She's made up her mind she wants a black m13 or a Unicomp Endurapro with black keys :)

Invite her to geekhack!

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline zwmalone

A new convert
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 March 2009, 04:55:54 »
Quote from: wellington1869;23278
lol, thats great. you wont have to hide it from her anymore by sticking keyboards under your mattress ;)

:p
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
A new convert
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 March 2009, 07:48:31 »
A few years ago, my mom's crappy HP rubber dome finally gave out... we're talking, printing worn off of most of the keycaps, HOLES WORN INTO SOME OF THE KEYS, etc., etc.

I had a spare Model M... so, that's what I put on the machine.

Yeah, I haven't gotten it back. :p

Offline itlnstln

A new convert
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 March 2009, 09:07:45 »
I gave my mom a couple of Dell AT101Ws, and she loves them.  She uses one at work and one at home.  I think if more people are exposed to quality keyboards, you would see more demand for them.  I still believe the reason why quality keyboards haven't caught on here in the US (other than expense, but even that is a dubious argument) is that they aren't as "pretty" as their rubber dome counterparts.  If Filco keyboards were readily available here or a mechanical version of whatever hot MS keyboard is out there, I think there would be higher adoption rate of quality keyboards.  There is still the quiet crowd, but that's what Alps with rubber dampers are for. :)

Offline patrickgeekhack

A new convert
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 March 2009, 09:53:40 »
Quote from: itlnstln;23305
 I think if more people are exposed to quality keyboards, you would see more demand for them.  I still believe the reason why quality keyboards haven't caught on here in the US (other than expense, but even that is a dubious argument) is that they aren't as "pretty" as their rubber dome counterparts.  

I think so too. And I also think it's because most people don't know that they can get decent mechanical keyboard somewhere else, and they are happy to use whatever came with their PC. But most PC makers are not interested in building high end keyboards to be sold with their PCs. They are interested in making the most money they can on each PC. I cannot really blame them. Business is about maximizing profits.

If we go back in time, we notice that the computers were not very fast, BUT, the computer cases were made of high quality metal, strong enough to have a monitor sitting on top of them. The keyboards were of higher quality and a lot of them are still in use today.