Author Topic: help choose my FILCO!  (Read 3496 times)

Offline nvus

help choose my FILCO!
« on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 01:28:57 »
EDIT: ordered the tenkeyless with brown switches from elitekeyboards.com

Offline kyamei

help choose my FILCO!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 01:38:45 »
1.  I personally don't like blues (edit: and white alps) for gaming, the clicks can get quite annoying with all the button mashing that happens when gaming (I do find the blues quite nice for typing however).  I can't speak for the browns as I've never tried them, but I do plan on getting one in the near future.
3.  Tenkeyless and fullsized have the same sized keys.
4.  People have vouched for the Filco's NKRO in the sticky.
5.  A few members here have already received their Filco's from Elitekeyboards (theres at least 2 reviews of boards from EK on here already).
6. $10 to the US.
Topre:  Realforce 101, Realforce 87U, HHKB Pro 2
Cherry Brown:  Compaq MX11800
Cherry Blue:  Filco FKBN87MC/EB
Cherry Black:  K-202 numerical keypad
Alps Black:  AT101W, ABS M1
Alps White:  Focus FK-2001
Buckling Springs:  Model M 1391401, Lexmark Model M 82G2383, Model M2
Buckling Sleeves:  Unicomp Model M4
Futaba:  Sejin EAT-1010

Offline nvus

help choose my FILCO!
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 01:41:47 »
Yea I heard the blues can are real noisy.  I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
help choose my FILCO!
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 01:42:25 »
3. The keys are the same size as a regular 104-key Majestouch.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
help choose my FILCO!
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 02:17:37 »
although I prefer the Cherry blues, the browns are quite nice as well (and, as others have mentioned, probably better suited for gaming).

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
help choose my FILCO!
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 02:23:00 »
Yup, browns and blacks are better for gaming.

Offline eugenius

help choose my FILCO!
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 08:44:03 »
Ideal for gaming are red stem cherry switches. (I don't think Filco have those) - they are lighter blacks, non-tactile.

Then, I would recommend browns, because they are the ideal compromise overall.

The blacks are better for gaming than browns but the added force necesary is tiring if you play a lot ... :) And you know you will ... :)

So, for gaming:     red,     brown,  black,  clear, blue.
For touch-typing:   blue,    brown,  clear,  red,    black.
Overall:               brown, blue,     clear,  red,    black.

For the cherry gamer :) the ultimate keyboard is the g80-1800 programmable keyboard with red switches. If you can find it ... :)

Even better, the g80-1865 with a 2 port usb hub, but I don't know if it's programmable (I would choose programmability over a USB hub).

The G80-1865 is available with at least browns ... here:
http://www.nrckr.com/mall/m_mall_detail.php?ps_goid=30&ps_goid=30
Red, I don't know ... need to ask a cherry guru ... :)

The G80-1865 is rebadged by Raptor Gaming as the K1 - and in that version it's programmable and it comes wih wasd keycaps, keycap puller etc.
Officially it's a black switch board, but browns have been known to be in it ... as you see here:
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=1064&redirect=yes

Edit: the ultimate non-programmable gaming cherry:
The TG3 BL82 / DECK Mini black swich keyboard modded with brown springs, for lighter touch.
Question: Is such a mod easy (provided you have brown switch springs) ?
Cherry ErgoPlus MX5000 + MX5700 / IBM Model M

Offline FKSSR

help choose my FILCO!
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 09:35:33 »
I just purchased a keyboard with brown switches and one with black switches.  I won't receive them until later this week, but I will post my thoughts at that point, as I also had a G80-3000 with blue switches for about a week that I didn't like (for typing or gaming).

In general, I agree that clicky is not a great thing for gaming.  Other than that, I can't comment until I try the browns and blacks.
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline nvus

help choose my FILCO!
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 10:43:48 »
Thanks for the feedback from everyone.  I'll be going with the brown switches.

@Ripster
Did your tenkeyless from elitekeyboards come with these colored key caps?
I have an N52 also =P.  Hate the feel of the keys.  I just like the d-pad on it.

Offline ozar

help choose my FILCO!
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 10:54:27 »
Each time I start typing on any cherry blues board, I start thinking "this is definitely the switch for me", but then after a few days I tire of all the constant clickyness and end up moving to something else.  That's just my own experience, though.

I think you'll like the browns really well.

Offline nvus

help choose my FILCO!
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 11:08:01 »
Just ordered my Filco.  Anyone know if I should coat the keys with anything to keep it more durable and long lasting?  I've heard people with Filcos find the gripping coating on the keys coming off.  Like this.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
help choose my FILCO!
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 11:47:10 »
eugenius: You'd have to do quite a lot of soldering to swap springs on the Deck, due to the LEDs for key backlighting.

Offline o2dazone

help choose my FILCO!
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 13:26:14 »
Grats on the purchase. I bought a blue cherry keyboard as my first, and just received my Brown a few days ago from Elitekeyboards - and I'm loving it. Taking the blue to work, because I can't say goodbye forever :P

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
help choose my FILCO!
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 14:43:58 »
Just ordered my Filco. Anyone know if I should coat the keys with anything to keep it more durable and long lasting? I've heard people with Filcos find the gripping coating on the keys coming off. Like this.

If you bought your FILCO from me, then thank you for your purchase!

The photo you've referenced is my board actually, and this is after 3 years of heavy daily use as my primary board. While the original coating appears to be worn off in some places, even the worn keys still maintain a matte texture to them; though not as noticeable as the unworn keys.

In any case, I highly recommend you don't attempt to coat the keys with anything yourself. The original matte feel would no longer be present, and unless you're a wiz with the chemical application of plastics, you'd probably end up with an inconsistent finish or more likely - damage. Please note that under the EliteKeyboards warranty terms, any damage you cause to your board is not covered for free repair and may void your warranty.

Not to worry, however, I'm currently looking into carrying replacement keycaps for these boards, so with any luck your new FILCO can be maintained down the road.

Offline nvus

help choose my FILCO!
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 29 March 2009, 14:50:36 »
Yea I ordered from you majestouch.  Thanks for posting.  I completely forgot about the 1 year warranty.  I'll avoid coating my keys.