Author Topic: Does this keyboard exist?  (Read 2929 times)

Offline dfrey

Does this keyboard exist?
« on: Wed, 08 April 2009, 20:27:05 »
Hello all.  I just joined this forum after reading about it in a reddit comment thread.

I posted a question there, but I haven't had any responses, so I am trying here.

I am looking for this keyboard:

Must haves:
  • Nice key switches *
  • No numeric keypad
  • Arrow keys in a normal layout
  • Windows keys
  • US English layout

Nice to haves:
  • Insert, delete, home, end, pgup, pgdn in a normal 3x2 rectangle
  • USB interface (instead of ps/2)
  • USB hub
  • Black color
  • Removable keys (for cleaning)

* I realize that "nice key switches" isn't very descriptive.  The best I can do given my level of understanding of keyboard guts is this:
I have a model M which has a great feel to it.  I also have a crappy rubber dome Logitech (crap).  I especially dislike mushy laptop keyboards even more than rubber domes.

Offline ozar

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 April 2009, 20:35:45 »
Welcome to the forums!  

Maybe this keyboard would work for you:

http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=filco_keyboards,majestouch_104key&pid=fkbn87meb

Offline bigpook

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 April 2009, 20:36:35 »
Take a look at the Filco tenless with blue cherries.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline dfrey

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 April 2009, 21:15:44 »
I looked at the keyboard in the first link.  It's pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

Are both of you suggesting the same keyboard?  The one in the link is described as "tenkeyless" whereas the 2nd reply referred to "tenless".

I also noticed that the switches on the site are described as "Cherry MX aka Cherry Brown" where bigpook specifically mentions "blue cherries".

I probably should have mentioned in my original post that I live in Vancouver, so a Canadian distributor would be ideal for the purposes of warranty and duties, but I realize that might be too much to ask.

Offline ozar

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 April 2009, 21:35:50 »
It's the same board except for the switches, and the color of the LEDs.  The blue cherry version is harder to find and I don't think there is anyone in Canada that sells either version.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 April 2009, 21:47:22 »
You can also try for a Model M mini, but those go for over $200 nowdays...

The blue cherries are clicky and the brown cherries are not...for reference.
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline dfrey

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 April 2009, 22:23:26 »
Quote from: FKSSR;27770
You can also try for a Model M mini, but those go for over $200 nowdays...

The blue cherries are clicky and the brown cherries are not...for reference.

I have seen the Model M Mini and I like the idea of them.  If they were available for $50 I would probably buy one.  They don't have a windows key which is a bit of a dealbreaker for me.

Offline dfrey

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 April 2009, 22:24:33 »
Quote from: ozar;27764
It's the same board except for the switches, and the color of the LEDs.  The blue cherry version is harder to find and I don't think there is anyone in Canada that sells either version.

Thanks for the information.  Bonus points if you or anyone else can name a keyboard that meets my requirements and is available in Canada.

Offline ozar

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 April 2009, 23:28:06 »
Check with majestouch (owner of elitekeyboards.com) - I think he might ship to Canada.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 00:38:09 »
Quote from: ripster;27792

The only thing that worries me a bit is that if you REALLY like the IBM Model M typewriter feel the Filco keys might be a little too light for you.  Your choices are limited as soon as you strip off that numpad though.  

- Ripster

Yea that is something I'm still getting used to. I started out on a BS board and find that I bottom out the cherry switches. One board I'm really liking is the ABS M1 mostly because it does not feel quite as light. But then again I'm adjusting to the cherry blues it is just taking more time than I thought it would take. True the ABS M1 is not tenkeyless but it is still a smallish board and it has all the windows keys as well.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline dfrey

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 03:48:36 »
Quote from: ripster;27792

The only thing that worries me a bit is that if you REALLY like the IBM Model M typewriter feel the Filco keys might be a little too light for you.  Your choices are limited as soon as you strip off that numpad though.  

I did a bit more research this evening and it turns out that my model M is a 71G4644 which according to the wikipedia page on the model M has dome switches and not buckling spring.

Are "dome switches" and "rubber dome" equivalent?

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 12:34:13 »
Quote from: ripster;27858
Ahhh.  If you're OK with stiffer rubber domes that's different.  Then just get the Filco.  You'll love it.

Then run away from this forum for 6 months to prevent buyers remorse.

- Ripster

I would think you would want to run away for a bit just to keep from taking the red pill. Once you start hanging around here for very long you will find more boards you just have to buy and try.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 13:21:31 »
Quote from: ripster;27858
Someone just posted a Filco Tenkeyless on Ebay.

I hope they didn't buy that from EliteKeyboards, because their Buy It Now price is $169.99, and they would make money selling the used keyboard, compared to what it sells for new at EliteKeyboards.com...And that's not cool...

Offline ozar

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 13:27:22 »
Quote from: FKSSR;27922
I hope they didn't buy that from EliteKeyboards, because their Buy It Now price is $169.99, and they would make money selling the used keyboard, compared to what it sells for new at EliteKeyboards.com...And that's not cool...

It appears that he is selling a new keyboard rather than a used one.  He's also telling a little fib when he says this keyboard is not available through any US retail channels, but perhaps he doesn't know about EliteKeyboards.com

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 13:33:21 »
he probably doesn't know.  EliteKeyboards is still new and probably isn't known by a lot of people outside of this forum.  Of course, Filco probably isn't either...