Author Topic: Would clears be a bad idea for gaming?  (Read 8733 times)

Offline wes1099

• Technology and Dog Enthusiast
Would clears be a bad idea for gaming?
« on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 08:47:50 »
I have been using reds for about a year now and I realized that I tend to smash them rather violently, and I recently got my keyswitch tester and I like the clears, but I'm not sure if they would be too heavy after using them for a long time. Anyone have any opinions?

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline Data

Re: Would clears be a bad idea for gaming?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 08:55:38 »
I have no experience going from red to clear, but if you already mash your reds you might appreciate the stronger spring and tactile bump on the clears.  I'm not sure if double-tapping is a problem or not.

I game on browns.

Offline jameslr

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 08:55:59 »
I just started typing on clears, but I really like them. Stock clears are the closest MX switch to my favorite switch, Topre 55g. As for gaming, I don't have any problems gaming on Topre 55g, but I'm not a competitive gamer by any stretch.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 09:01:24 »
Get a board with clears and try out yourself. If you find out clears aren't for you sell the board with some loss. If you're not willing to pay that price to experience a new switch, then stick to the reds. Nobody will be able to tell you what you like, and all recommendations regarding the uses of the different switch types will be highly subjective. I'd prefer linears for gaming, but there are others that like tactiles better.

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 09:04:10 »
The transition from MX Black to MX Clear switches was tough for me, for example I had trouble with "double pressing spacebar" quickly enough.

But with enough time I'm now enjoying Clears for any FPS or MOBA games.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 09:18:39 »
I play FPS games with lubed clears. I have not felt any fatigue with them.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 10:39:59 »
I don't mind them. I'd say they're fine
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline shawn o

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 12:28:12 »
I've been using clears for several years now (Filcos I've converted) after starting with browns and love them. After a bit adjust and they feel great. I used a grey switch below my spacebar also.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 12:28:56 »
I love Clears and especially 62g ErgoClears. They're both great for gaming, as I recently discovered. I used to use my board with Browns for gaming since I thought the larger tactile bump of Clears would require that I completely release the key for double-pressing, but I discovered that the bump actually allows you to rest the key on the upward stroke right where the actuation happens and you can change the state rapidly. You can "hover" nicely with Clears, something I had difficulty doing with Browns.

And the typing feeling is fantastic, too.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 12:37:12 »
I type and game on clears just fine. I currently play League of Legends and ArcheAge Online.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 12:55:16 »
Started Red.

Went Black.

Currently Brown.

Going Clear!

Tried them all, i strongly believe the best switch for gaming is MX Clear.

Tactile bumb is just optimal once you get really used to it, you hear/feel the actuation when gaming. Brown is a little too light imo, and so i've decided to go with clear.

Switches are on their way, stay tuned!
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline D01

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 12:55:35 »
I don't mind gaming on clears.  That's what I've been using.  I would however rather use browns on a pc that I game on more than I type, and clears on a pc that I type on more than I game.

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 13:06:22 »
Linear still best for FPS, clears are the best multi-purpose MX though.

I prefer nearly all clear mods over stock clears but stock clears are also great.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline jterp7

• good typing
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 13:20:29 »
I own a brown and clear. The clear is comparatively considerably more tactile in feel as I feel you get feedback throughout the keypress vs on the brown only towards bottoming out. I would say the first couple days you may be slower with the clears...but you get used to it pretty quickly. I'm not a pro gamer, so if you play like 8hours a day or something you may feel differently.

Offline Magna224

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 17:27:48 »
I like clears and ergo clears bestest of all cherry switches especially for gaming. I find its easy to not bottom out on stock clears as they feel kind of heavy at the bottom of the key travel.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 17:36:53 »
I game on whatever I can get my hands on. If you think you can handle the stiffer switches, clears are lovely for typing and gaming. It took me about a week to get used to my QFR after I put clears in it, but now it's one of my favourite boards, and I've used it for hours on end without any issue.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 19:39:07 »
Clears' my clear fave MX switch, pun's intended, but I have only one board with Clears...it's a Leopold FC660M. I do game and type with other switches like Blue, Brown, Black, White and Green, as well as Topre. For MX, Clears has that very satisfying tactile feel, and I appreciate that there' no accompanying click because those clicks can get a tad annoying to me at times.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 20:20:00 »
Stock Clears are my favorite switch now but i have to admit that if you are coming from reds, they may be a little bit intimidating at first, you may give up on them after a short period of time but DON't; give them a good month and try any other "stock" cherry switch after that and you'll not want to leave clears. They are fantastic for gaming, very precise, less accidental presses i get with reds and topre. you can still rapid press too.

Offline divito

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 23:29:24 »
Clears and gaming are fine for me.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 02:09:12 »
Lubed Ergo Clears are ok for FPS and MOBA.

MOBA players can also opt for MX Blues.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 02:32:06 »
you can game with whatever, its all about your own preferences but it sounds like you need heavy switches much like myself, who is also a heavy hitter :)
i even bought heavier spings which i will try out.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 05:41:51 »
I went from reds to stock clears. Barely bottomed out on either. My fingers were a bit fatigued on clears at first, but I built muscles in a few weeks.

However, I've never been able to use tactile switches for gaming… and basically anything but typing. It feels like the stem sticks under the bump and I sometimes miss a keystroke then. It could have something to do with my typewriterish typing technique as opposed to gentle riding actuation point otherwise. IME ergo clears were the worst (because most tactile) together with stiffer Alps.

My recommendation, try "ghost blacks" (MX Black w/ stock clear spring).

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 06:13:59 »
I think you'd be okay. I went from reds to browns. I'd imagine that it's a heavier brown. I was fatigued the first weekend with browns lol. Specifically my pinky holding shift down.
If you don't end up liking it, you can sell it here on the classifieds :)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 06:30:38 »
I'd imagine that it's a heavier brown.
It's not. More like a very tactile rubber dome on top of a linear switch.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 06:40:38 »
Clears are great for gaming, IMO.
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline loki993

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 23:21:09 »
I use them and they're fine..i have no fatigue issues. However when I first got the keyboard I tried typing on it and my fingers were stiff after an hour or so.

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 01:58:45 »
Started Red.

Went Black.

Currently Brown.

Going Clear!

Tried them all, i strongly believe the best switch for gaming is MX Clear.

Tactile bumb is just optimal once you get really used to it, you hear/feel the actuation when gaming. Brown is a little too light imo, and so i've decided to go with clear.

Switches are on their way, stay tuned!

But like 60+g though...
I personally hated blacks for gaming, but then switched to red and felt maybe black wasn't so bad (as I was just pressing the wrong keys at the wrong time too much).

This is definitely a question I need to answer for myself it seems, everyone has their own preferences. 

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 02:18:46 »
I hate gaming with stock clears, but enjoy it with 62g lubed ergo clears.

I like reds/blues even more for gaming, though.

Reds>Blues>62g Clears>45g Topre. :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 August 2014, 02:20:49 by epzy »
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)