Author Topic: My tactile switch hunt continues  (Read 4902 times)

Offline amaragaz

My tactile switch hunt continues
« on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 17:55:49 »
Hi All,

I have tried Zilents v2 62g as well as the Boba U4 62g and while they are very tactile and stable, it is not what I am looking for.

The two of them are very similar in feel with the boba being more rounded, but both have the same issue, I do not enjoy the bump at the very top that once passed means they collapse straight to the bottom. They reminds me of my Microsoft ergo keyboard, or, excuse my French, of better membrane switches.

Smoothness is also something difficult for me to judge on these since once the actuation point is reached it will bottom out instantly and they actuate at the top, so there is not a lot of space to infer.

Could anyone suggest an alternative that have a bump in the middle and is tactile enough to distinguish but not so much you have to fight the switch. Essentially a very smooth linear with a bump.

I was considering Aliaz as most people would describe them as a smoother mx brown, and they are silent which is bonus, however, they seem to have some issues with spring crunch.

Thank you

Offline Nuclear Nachos

• Anima and Animus
Re: My tactile switch hunt continues
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 18:11:23 »
sp star purples (and meteor orange but they're only on taobao rn :/ ) might be what you're looking for, they have the tactile bump 1-1.5mm into the 4mm travel, heres the taobao link for both and if you scroll down to the description it has the force curves for both https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=631261777328

Offline Pylon

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 18:46:00 »
MX Clears? Possibly with a lighter spring?

Offline Pylon

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 18:49:40 »
Though Clears are not exactly smooth (as far as I'm aware they were never retooled).

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 19:57:24 »
I like Hako clears. They are nothing remarkable and fairly understated in their tactility but I think that’s why I like them.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 23:23:33 »
Everglide Jade

The correct answer to your question is Zealio V1. But since that is unavailable, Everglide Jade. They're noisy out-of-box, but with lube they actually sound good.

They are designed as a nicer version of MX Brown, with smoother operation and a slightly sharper bump. [The original Zealio V1 was kind of meant to be in-between Brown and Clear, I think.]

They are definitely smoother than many Ergo Clears.

I have a board with Everglide Jades [lubed with 3204 and springs lubed] and it is magical. Essentially a very smooth linear with a bump in the middle. Just enough to let you know you've actuated the switch.

However, you may be more interested in the upcoming RARA V2 and Shogoki switches, which are in GB here. Maybe it's not too late. They use the same stem as Everglide Jades, I think [the RARA stem]. However, they may be in more tactile housings, and they are using heavier [middle-weight] springs.

They may be the ideal solution for your question.

Silent Sky Boba

You can also throw in Silent Sky / Silent Forest stems into the Boba housing, and you'll supposedly get something resembling MX Clear tactility, but at a lighter weight. You're supposed to use 68 G springs for this, I think. Maybe you can even use MX Clear stems.

Ergo Clear

Of course, the classic answer to your question is the Ergo Clear. It's a lubed MX Clear with a lighter spring. MX Clear uses a conventional Cherry tactility of having the 'bump' in the middle of the keypress, but the spring weight is reduced compared to the stock switch.

There are many ways to make an Ergo Clear. You can get a fairly smooth and snappy [businesslike] Ergo Clear using 3204 lube and a 60 G TX spring. They function well and are light and punctual.

Or you can use a 65 G TX spring and 205g0. It's a heavier but softer feel.

You can back off on the lubrication somewhat by using a heavier 67-68 G spring, but I don't have a lot of experience with this. I have tried Ergo Clears at 63.5 G, and they feel like crunchy Browns [slightly heavier and more tactile].

Overall, Ergo Clears tend to be more tactile and 'noisy' in feel than Zealio V1 and Everglide Jade. It's a matter of preference what you like better. The Zealio V1 and Everglide switches are more 'linear' as compared with the Ergo Clears, which are more granular.

Aliaz

Aliaz wants to be a serious tactile switch, but it's mostly designed like a Gateron Silent Brown.

You're right that the spring is the weakest point. They really are noisy. However, replacing the springs can yield good results.

I found that the 65 TX in Aliaz is great for gaming, which isn't why I was building it, but I haven't made enough switches to properly test them for typing.

Aliaz is the least tactile option here. The real reason I don't type on Aliaz is that, even with a good spring, I find that the actuation point is too low, lower than the Cherry-style and clones that I am used to. I miss keystrokes by releasing the switch too early.

SP Star

The SP Star sounds really interesting, and I am going to be picking up some samples one way or another. I think they are mainly T1 clones, but maybe we are lucky and there is a RARA stem in there or something. Some Leopolds are shipping with them as a stock option.

Hako Clears were also mentioned here, and it reminds me that you might want to take a look at Hako Violet. They kind of remind me of light Ergo Clears, like my 60 G. They are a bit sharper than I would like, kind of a harsh no-nonsense switch, but they kind of fit the bill for what you are asking. Don't mount GMK on them, though.

Offline amaragaz

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 07:32:05 »
Thank you, I appreciate all the suggestions and will look into all these!

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 07:33:24 »
Everglide Jade

The correct answer to your question is Zealio V1. But since that is unavailable, Everglide Jade. They're noisy out-of-box, but with lube they actually sound good.

They are designed as a nicer version of MX Brown, with smoother operation and a slightly sharper bump. [The original Zealio V1 was kind of meant to be in-between Brown and Clear, I think.]

Zealio V1 is supposed to be Ergo clears clones ready to be used out of the box with out needing to harvest MX Blue, MX Red or MX brown springs.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 07:37:18 »
The correct answer to your question is Zealio V1. But since that is unavailable...

I'd kill for a V1 Zealios comeback, Zeal should really look into making a "Classic Zealio" to add to his switch lineup IMHO.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 15:00:35 »
Everglide Jade

Zealio V1 is supposed to be Ergo clears clones ready to be used out of the box with out needing to harvest MX Blue, MX Red or MX brown springs.

Yes, true, true. The old posts here say as much. It ended up being something a little different over time, I would say it took on characteristics of its own.

I don't think Zealio V1 was ever as tactile as MX Clears. It always seemed to be smoother and less tactile. Some even compared them to Browns, although that's not what they were going for. It was sharper / snappier than Browns.

But yeah, they were supposed to be out-of-box Ergo Clears. Gateron's manufacturing style led to somewhat different characteristics, though.

The correct answer to your question is Zealio V1. But since that is unavailable...

I'd kill for a V1 Zealios comeback, Zeal should really look into making a "Classic Zealio" to add to his switch lineup IMHO.

There's a lot of people who would like switches with these characteristics. Light tactiles seem to be making a comeback.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 17:19:28 »
sp star purples (and meteor orange but they're only on taobao rn :/ ) might be what you're looking for, they have the tactile bump 1-1.5mm into the 4mm travel, heres the taobao link for both and if you scroll down to the description it has the force curves for both https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=631261777328

This Meteor Orange switch sounds interesting. I haven't heard of it before.

Do you know how it differs from the other SP Star tactiles?

Offline Tatcursio

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 05:54:49 »
There is a Tacit silent switch made by keebwerk that seems to have some positive reviews. It seems to be on par with, or is even better than its other competitors like Aliaz or even the Zilents from the reviews. Of course, I never used them before so take my words with a grain of salt.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 10:12:37 »
The Tacit switches are very expensive in North America. There aren't great distribution arrangements yet. It's basically a silenced T1 that has exclusivity arrangements.

For those in markets where the Tacit is not available, the U4 Boba makes much greater sense.